What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapples? Kiwis?

Hi.
I'm looking for edible pineapple such as comosus  ‘Kona Sugarloaf’, kiwi plants, mango plants (yellow ones from Mexico or Philippines), liches (hairy ones) or banana plants such as apple banana.
I'm offering some begonias (white flowers), cuttings of schefellea, possibly a mature plant of D. capensis typical. If you don't see anything interested to trade, I'll have other plants on trade also..
Please PM me if interested.
Thanks.

Hi! As far as the pineapple goes, here's a quick hint.....  Get a whole, ripe pineapple. cut off the top, leaving about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of the fruit attached to it. Plant it, leaving the sprout sticking up from the soil. In about a year, you will have edible fruits!

Enjoy~~~ Corey

And I'm not sure of the origin, but I have access to several hundred mango trees dowen here in Florida... I can send you seed pits, or whole fruits, whichever you prefer!

Thanks
smile.gif
I only waited for a month, ( I tried this couple months ago) Luckily, I have another pineapple somehow, I'll try again
smile.gif

you can just go to a store and buy a mango get the seed pod, dry it out crack it open and there are your seeds! we have Kiwi plants at a health store here but they are males and you need a male and female to get fruit unfortuantly. lechei fruit is somthing i have only seen once in my life but have never tasted it. i heard it tastes heavenly though,
good luck
alex

I advocate the twist pop method of removing the top of a pineapple and then pull about the bottom 10-20 leaves. You will expose root buds that way. I have not failed with my tops using this method.

Also, don;t let mango seed dry out too long or the actual seed part inside the husk will rot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ June 05 2006,11:57)]lechei fruit is somthing i have only seen once in my life but have never tasted it. i heard it tastes heavenly though,
good luck
alex
Hmm...do you mean litchis or lychees? You can get them canned (immersed in syrup) and although not as good as the real thing, comes pretty darn close. The real fruits you can find in most chinese supermarkets or along the streets of Chinatowns in the US. And they've established crops of it in Florida. However, I myself have not had success in germinating the seeds.

Each time I visit Taiwan during the summer, I have at least 5 bushels worth of that since it's my favorite fruit. However, I have heard it causes nosebleeds for those who eat too much of it.

Johnny

I hate to be the disagreeing factor for Lychees, but I can't stand the nasty little things. They're okay, for about the first half a second. thereafter, it's nearly impossible for me to get rid of that flavor. I'm gonna try that "twist-top" method for pineapples!

other names are Litchi, Leechee, Lichee, and Lichi.

My pineapple took 6 years to make a fruit, but I later learned that if you drop apple peels in the heart of the plant in the spring, it induces flowering. It's worth a try.

not just the peels you can just cu up an apple and put! any fruit similar to an apple(pear, peach...) the decaying fruit releases a gas that induces flowering....nifty!
alex

Back