What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This offer is now closed. Thanks to those who responded. Please see follow-up message below.

--- --- --- --- ---

TEENAGE VENUS FLYTRAPS UP FOR ADOPTION

VFT_young_fine-tooth-x-red.jpg

One of my VFTs that are up for adoption this year

What I will offer:
2 groups of 4 VFTs in each group, free except for shipping.

When I will make the offer:
Wednesday evening, August 23, 2006, 7:00 p.m. US Mountain Daylight Time.

Where I will make the offer:
Right here, at the bottom of this message, by editing this message at the time mentioned above. Anyone already viewing the message at that time might have to click the "Refresh" button on their web browser to see the edited message.

What to do if you're interested:
Write me a private message AFTER the offer is made, stating which offer you are interested in. This offer is only open to persons living in the 48 contiguous U.S. states (although I wonder if VFTs would ship OK to Alaska).

What I will do:
I'll choose the responses I like the best (not necessarily the first ones I receive), and I'll write a private message to those people, and then I'll edit this post to say that the offer is now closed, in bold type at the top. If a respondent doesn't receive a private message from me within 12 hours after I make the offer, that means that they weren't chosen--sorry.

What to do if chosen:
Pay a $6.00 shipping fee in advance, via PayPal.com. If the shipping fee is not paid within a day or two, those VFTs will be withdrawn from the offer, or offered to someone else.

When will the VFTs be shipped:
This coming Saturday, August 26, by United States Postal Service Priority Mail.

I'm posting this notice early so that more people who may be interested have a chance to respond. Typically, all the plants are spoken for very quickly, within an hour or so after the offer is posted.

I plan to make several similar announcements during the upcoming weeks, so if an interested person misses out on this one perhaps he or she will be able to take advantage of a subsequent giveaway.

VFT varieties that I may include in these "up for adoption" offers:
<ul>
* Blood Red Traps
* Dente
* Fang
* Big Mouth
* Banded
* Fine Tooth x Red
* possibly others
[/list]

--- --- --- --- ---

Edit: Wednesday, August 23, 2006, 7 p.m. MDT

Tonight's free offers

Offer #1
---
2 Big Mouth and 2 Fang, healthy teenage VFTs

Offer #2
---
2 Big Mouth and 2 Dente, healthy teenage VFTs

I have lots of Big Mouth VFTs this year, which is why I'm giving away a greater proportion of them than other varieties. But just because I have lots of this variety to give away doesn't diminish the fact that it is a truly outstanding variety. Big Mouths are very nice plants which don't get as leggy and rangy as other VFTs in the summer, and can produce very large traps and develop a unique, deep purplish-red color in the traps.

The Dente's I have are all descended from some I purchased from the original source, Peter D'Amato in California. They are very nice VFTs with short, shark-tooth looking teeth and typically deeply arched-back traps. I was doubtful that with the short cilia they could catch prey as well as other varieties, but I was wrong. Dente's are voracious and extremely good trappers.

Fang is a variety the petioles of which become long and graceful in the summer. It's a nice variety that reputedly can get very long cilia.

---

Send me a private message if interested in either of these offers. Be sure to specify which offer and VFTs you are interested in.

Best wishes,
smile_m_32.gif

Steve / xscd

These two groups of "free for adoption" Venus Flyraps will be heading to growers who both happen to live in southern Florida. I'm sure they will like their new, more humid home.
smile_m_32.gif

To those who were interested but missed out on this offer, I'll be making at least 2 or 3 other free VFT offers this season, the next in probably 7-10 days.

Thanks everyone and best wishes, --Steve / xscd

Steve

Thank you so much for the plant offer...Plants arrived in perfect health...I will keep you updated on their progress.

Anthony

Back