What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Available

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I have a very nice division of U. nelumbifolia available. It has 2 half dollar sized leaves and is putting up a couple more.

Not looking for anything specific so feel free to make me any reasonable offer (i.e. please no capensis, spatulata, VFT, etc.)

7 hours........................i would have been betting on less time than that for someone to speak up
smile_n_32.gif

I jsut saw the post when I replied. I am wondering if he got a flood of PMs without a reply here. LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 04 2006,4:07)]7 hours........................i would have been betting on less time than that for someone to speak up
smile_n_32.gif
Yeah it kind of suprised me too. And I was figuring on getting a flood of PMs yet my inbox is empty but for JB.

Guess no one likes these big easy Utrics
smile_h_32.gif

A bit of an indictment on the popularity of this group of CPs.
smile_h_32.gif

It's unfortunate that they are not more popular than what I believe they should be. Should my situation (or should that be location) be different, I'd be clamouring to get my hands on such species......

Sean.

Pyro thats fine with me, I will trade for all your extras
smile_n_32.gif
I like the macros. I want to get my hands on an alpina and other larger growing utrics too.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Oct. 05 2006,7:44)]It's unfortunate that they are not more popular than what I believe they should be. Should my situation (or should that be location) be different, I'd be clamouring to get my hands on such species......
Sean,

Rest assured that the day I get seed from my plant a batch will be heading your way.
smile.gif

I think they're really not that popular because nobody ever says anything about them. People just keep them in their greenhouses, then randomly pop up and say "Hey, my U. reniformis flowered, look at it," leaving people to say, "Where'd that come from?" Plus, most of these plants have been grown in greenhouses or specialized "grow-areas", which most people can't make. I think if people talk more about them, and tell us a little more about how to grow them, then people will be more interested in these plants, especially when they get them to flower.

In fact, I was thinking of asking Pyro for this plug, but I didn't know anything about it, and I don't think there's much info on how to grow it.

-Ben

Ben,

I have to disagree with you a little though I do see where you are coming from. When you consider the genus there really is not that much to talk about. I mean, think about it, the traps are (for the most part) small and underground so they are not a topic of interest. The leaves are mostly plain (with a few exceptions like nelimbifolia) and so if you have seen one you have pretty much seen them all. The only real part of interest is the flowers. It is kind of like orchids, how many orchid growers go out touting their non-blooming plants?? No one buys or talks about orchids for their foliage and by that same token no one really grows Utrics except for their flowers.

As for where they grow, granted some of us (myself especially) go to extremes but I will counter that if you grow any type of highland Nep or Heli then you should be able to grow any of the easier of the large species. And I'd bet good money that most everyone here other than the greenest of newbies has a highland Nep or a Heli.

As far as info on how to grow them, I know that that is out there. I personally have discussed my growing technique here many times over and I know other who have as well. A quick search should find that fast enough. Likewise a quick search at CPUK would yield a good bit on info. And even a Google search would likely find something.

And worst case scenario with this specific plant is that you get it from me and it craoks. You will have learned what not to do the next time I offer one up which is/will be pretty frequent as this plant is a friggin weed!! I have it as a rogue in 3 pots and the main parent is sending out at least 6 aerial stolons at the moment which is a perpetual state of being for me.

So next time speak up. Or I'll just have to hunt you down and cram the plant in to your hands before knocking you unconsious so you can not argue with me about it.
smile_n_32.gif
And if you think I am kidding then you should talk to rattler, he'll set you straight.

you kidden? i love the big utrics!! but theres no way i could grow them. my contitions just arent sutible. now if you tell me that it can grow on a windowsill with indirect light, then uh ill be making up a trade hopefully
smile.gif
smile.gif

Alex

Pyro, I agree, I was just saying, despite the fact that many people have Heli's and highland Neps, they don't know about these plants all too well, and someone should do something to make these plants more "inviting". Anyways, Glider, there's this website I found where this guy has pics of U. alpina, U. humboldtii, and U. reniformis that he grows on his east facing windowsill somehow. His name is Joachim Danz. All three plants have flowered there.

-Ben

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Oct. 05 2006,1:59)]you kidden? i love the big utrics!! but theres no way i could grow them. my contitions just arent sutible. now if you tell me that it can grow on a windowsill with indirect light, then uh ill be making up a trade hopefully
smile.gif
smile.gif

Alex
Quit sitting on your hands and get trading glider. Mine nelumbifolia is in my south window shaded by plants on a shelf that's up against the window. They are doing well and are trying to spread to my other pots.

SCORE!

yeah, if your not careful, Pyro starts shoving Utrics down your throat
smile_n_32.gif

it seems much easier to sell the idea of Utrics to orchid growers than CP growers but there is some very serious interest in them. just last week i stumbled apon another Utric freak in the making. the macro(Iperua and Orchidoides) Utrics are fairly to very easy if you grow highland nepenthes. they can be a bit more frustrating on occation but really arent difficult.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Oct. 05 2006,6:06)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Seandew @ Oct. 05 2006,7:44)]It's unfortunate that they are not more popular than what I believe they should be. Should my situation (or should that be location) be different, I'd be clamouring to get my hands on such species......
Sean,

Rest assured that the day I get seed from my plant a batch will be heading your way.
smile.gif
Hi Travis,

I actually do grow U. nelumbifolia. It's most of the others I'm clamouring for.
smile.gif

Sean.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ Oct. 05 2006,7:51)]yeah, if your not careful, Pyro starts shoving Utrics down your throat
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
LOL

And the amazing part is that some people will actually complain about it. It boggles the mind LOL
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
it seems much easier to sell the idea of Utrics to orchid growers than CP growers but there is some very serious interest in them.

THe irony there being that I only grow 2 orchids and those are both vanilla

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]just last week i stumbled apon another Utric freak in the making.

Yeah, and I am helping to feed his addiction. I think he'll be quite happy here in a bit...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the macro(Iperua and Orchidoides) Utrics are fairly to very easy if you grow highland nepenthes. they can be a bit more frustrating on occation but really arent difficult.

I will argue a tiny bit here. I would amend the statement to be that MOST of them are fairly to very easy. Some like quelchii and endresii are a bit harder and the rumor mill seems to indicate that campbelliana is a serious pain, but I can neither confirm nor deny that as I have yet to aquire it. Soon though I hope.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i love the big utrics!! but theres no way i could grow them. my contitions just arent sutible. now if you tell me that it can grow on a windowsill with indirect light, then uh ill be making up a trade hopefully

Alex, BCK made the point but I am going to make it too. You do not know what can and can not be done until you try. Sure it might result in a few losses but that is how you learn. I offed a good number of plants before I got a technique that works for me. I kicked myself every time and I could have given up but instead I still kept trying. Heck, when I first got interested in trying to grow these guys I was refered to another grower who was, at the time, considered one of the foremost experts on them. His evaluation was basically that I would not succeed. Good thing I did not listen to him
smile.gif

So go out and try. As I said before, the worst that happens is you off the plant and learn something from it. Odds are really good that you'll be able to get the plant again down the road. Heck, I have sent one guy U. alpina on 5 different occasions and it is only with this last one that he has gotten it to work. It just takes a little time and effort.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]despite the fact that many people have Heli's and highland Neps, they don't know about these plants all too well, and someone should do something to make these plants more "inviting".

Ben,

Fair enough criticizm. But I am not sure how to make them more inviting other than by posting pics of the flowers which are, generally, the most interesting thing about them. So I post pics and I try and swap off/give away my spares. If you have suggestions I am all ears.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I actually do grow U. nelumbifolia. It's most of the others I'm clamouring for.

Sean,

Well, my initial answer still holds true
smile.gif
Hopefully next season will be even better than this one. Which reminds me, there is a chance I might be able to get you the jamesoniana seed this year, seems the new 400W light made my jamesoniana really happy and it is sending up another bloom. I have the toothpicks ready

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
just last week i stumbled apon another Utric freak in the making.

Yeah, and I am helping to feed his addiction. I think he'll be quite happy here in a bit...

im working on another even farther north than the last
smile_n_32.gif
i sent sandersonii up with a starter package of a few easy Drosera and Pings. ive got her interested in CP's, will attempt to bring her over to Utrics
smile_n_32.gif
she will work with what i sent her over the winter and in the spring when it starts warming up again and after she has consulted the internet and books extensively she will give me her wish list and we should have another CP adict, but being in Anchorage shes got an even shorter shipping season than i do. hopefully she will join us over here before long.

as for making Utrics more interesting..............not sure how yah would do it. your either interested in them or your not. i have minimal interest in VFT's, a minor interest in Sarr's, even my interest in Neps is limited to those i like the looks of.......Utrics, though, do have my attention

thanks pyro. im going to apply this to right now because im making a huge leap and going to try to grow N. lowii and ephippiata on a windowsil! ephippiata being first up.
Alex

Back