What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. Leah Wilkerson x S. Leah Wilkerson Seeds

I have one more pack of 25-35 of these S. LW x S. LW seeds available if anyone would like to trade. I also have some D. Filliformis ssp Filliformis 'All Red' seeds if anyone is interested in those for trade. I would prefer sarracenia or sarracenia seeds or vfts or vft seeds. Please pm me if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Nice offer Bucky.  
smile.gif
 I'd just like to note, for those who may not know, that the resulting offspring of such a cross may or may not produce a 'Leah Wilkerson.'  Leah is a registered cultivar and the plant must match the described characteristics to be called 'Leah Wilkerson' the cultivar.

I don't want someone on down the road wondering why their 'Leah' doesn't look like the photos they've seen.  I don't know what the genetic percentage would be but some plants should match the description and some will not.

At least this is my understanding...anyone can correct me if I'm wrong.  Plant division and TC (if its effective) will produce an exact 'Leah.'  Genetic crosses could be variable. A tag for seed offspring should read S. 'Leah Wilkerson' x S. 'Leah Wilkerson'.

You're right PAK. These seeds will not be a S. Leah Wilkerson. They should be labeled S. LW x S. LW. The only way to get a true S. Leah Wilkerson is division or TC. Good to make sure that everyone knows.

Wes and PAK -

I can see this becoming a much bigger problem as more and more people start self-pollinating their prized plants...

Although you could refer to these seeds as S. 'Leah Wilkerson' x S. 'Leah Wilkerson,' I would say that there is a VERY high likelihood that somewhere down the road, SOMEONE is going to mistake this to mean that they are the cultivar named S. 'Leah Wilkerson.'

To prevent this, I usually prefer to refer to seeds produced from selfed plants as F2 generation. Thus, the seeds mentioned above would be called S. 'Leah Wilkerson' F2. But this designation will only work if the person who gets the seeds/plants knows what this means.

Of course, the BEST way to not allow for confusion would be to call them exactly what they are, which is S. x moorei from the Leah Wilkerson bog. That way you could let people know that the seeds are produced from the HUGE cultivar called 'Leah Wilkerson' without there being any danger of confusion.

Regards,

Mike

Back