What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. rosea

Does anyone have any S. rosea that they might be willing to let go of?

I've been looking for some for a while but with no luck.
sad.gif

I would also like to find out how big they got, and how much sun they need.

Thanks
- Dave

Hey FD,

As with all Sars, they can take as much sun as you can give them. Since it's an S. purpurea varient, my bet is that it won't ever get larger than about 1' in diameter (unless you get multiple growth points).

Thanks.

I was told however that these things get huge! I'm not sure though, so thanks for the info
smile.gif

Schloaty - FD is correct in what he has heard. My specimen plant gets pitchers each up to a foot in length. I do not allow the plant to pup as this tends to reduce vigor of the mother plant and creates smaller pitchers. Also of notable mention is that the same clone in different hands may not produce the same growth. Only excellent culture will yield the largest and healthiest pitchers. This particular S. purpurea does not like cold winters and will only produce the biggest, fatest pitchers when it's winter rest is mild in temperatures and the plant can hold all of its growth from the previous season.

well then i think that I might do ok with it
smile.gif

I've seen some enormous plain venosas, so it's not a general rule that var. burkii is a larger plant. My burkii (aka rosea) is the same size as my venosa, but with wavier hoods and pinker pitchers.

Does anyone have one to trade?

Back