What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedling Swap!

I've tried to get rid of seeds but there haven't been too many takers and dummy that I am I just ordered about 5 or 6 more pouches from the ICPS.

So rather than sending out seeds and keeping our fingers crossed that they grow, how about raising the little darlings until they're large enough to ship and then trade the seedlings? I don't know how mature they should be before sending, but mine aren't there just yet. I wanted to toss the idea out there to see if there is any interest.

If interested, post what you have and see if there are any takers. At this time, all I have are d capensis and I'm not crazy enough to ask if anybody needs any of those! There are some drosera and sarracenia that are still too small so if somebody else would like to get this started, I'll jump in when my plants are a bit larger.

ilbasso, 2 years is the best age to send seedlings. You can send them now. As seedlings, just sprouted, they can take a lot of moving around without too much hassle, older seedlings mature faster. You can also grow them under 24/7 lights, plenty of water for 2 full years from day of sprouting, giving them a dormancy in their 3rd year (this is Sarracenia I am talking about) . They can mature this way, and grow quite large with in 2 years, 12-15", that flowering can happen in 3 years to 5 years. Growing them this way does not seem to bother them, and their maturation rates are almost always before 5 years old. Plants + seed, means more of them to share. Care to comment? What's your idea?

I agree with trading seedlings rather than seed. I don't like growing Sarracenia from seed. Nepenthes...no problem.

Back