What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looking for D. adelae seeds

schloaty

Staff member
Hi everyone,

Well, I've killed yet another D. adelae that was shipped to me. I guess they just don't like being shipped.

Anyone have SEEDS lying around? I think I might have better luck with them. I'll work something out with ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeds, really?

Don't like being shipped? Wow I've never... oh wait come to think of it I can't remember every getting a D. adelae... it just seems to have always been there for some reason :)

If you change your mind I can send you some babes.

Dave- You will find you'll get much better results by growing new plants from root cuttings as opposed to seed. I have heard that seed production, although successful at times, is a rather rare incident. PM me your addy and I'll send you a bunch. I have hundreds of these guys!

Phil

Yeah, I have a ton that have sprouted up all over my pot so that when I repot soon I can easily send you a couple more to try out.

xvart.

yeah and have you seen my comunity pot of these guys in the GH thread of mine? I can easily send you some of those if the other three offers die on you. LMAO

Thanks for the offers everyone. Any ideas why mine keep croaking on me? I keep them terrarium grown - I suppose I could try the greenhouse. Do they mind cold nights (40's)?

Anyway, if you think roots create babies, my last plant just died, so I haven't tossed it yet, I can use that one's roots and see what happens.

If I strike out, I'll post here again (well, most likely a new thread).

Thanks for the tips.

Schloaty I find that where ever a root comes to the surface and is exposed to the air will make a new plant. I do not think nights into the 40's would hurt the pants. As I said my plants seemed to be doing better and growing like mad since the onset of fall and winter. I do know these guys do not like intense sun. I nearly killed mine from givien them to much sun. So only give them enough light to color them, and do not over do it.

The funny thing is I have a 2 paradoxa. I kept them in the GH and they slowly started to decline and the addition of the brighter lights did not help. My falconaii also seemed to be in decline or right on the edge of living. They were both dewless. I moved the worse off paradoxa to the GH where I thought for sure it would be too cold for it and it has started a second plant at the base and has dew again. So I moved the larger paradoxa out there and the falconari.

So move your roots out to the GH. Dig down and bring some of the roots up to the surface. Hopefully they should sprout new plants. Also my adeleas do not stay sitting in water either. The black tray has a hole in it (not put there by me. It just happened when I was sliding the tray) so It slowly leaks out the water, but I keep the peat damp and they are doing lovely.

Dave- It has been my experience and observation of this species that it and its sisters D. prolifera and D. schizandra perform their best under highland conditions or at the very least should have a considerable drop in nighttime temperatures. Now there may be growers out there that may contest this theory...but I have noticed the largest and most robust growth on all 3 species during the months between fall and early summer; warm days/very cool nights. I base my findings on plants of all 3 species that have remained in cultivation for no less than 4 years. Temps of 40 degrees F. will not harm this species. You may find a resurgence of growth if you grow them out in the greenhouse in the cooler section.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. There is a lot of material available to work with if you need it.

Thanks for posing the question, Schloaty!

I could also send you a few from one that I divided in the fall.

I have kept this species inside under various conditions, but they never seem to thrive. I will try moving some outside to experience more temperature variations. That may just do the trick!

Thanks for the info everyone,

Steve

Back