What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for milkweed plant

Anyone here happen to be growing this and willing to ship a decent sized plant(rootstock is fine) or either Asclepias currassavica or speciosa? I'd need something that I can mark so that is not likely to get mistaken for as a weed(LOL) and cut down. Have several drosera I can trade.

Also, anyone growing resurrection fern(Polypodium) let me know too.

Asclepias Tuberosa and a polypodium fern grow on my property if you're interested in those. They grow like... weeds :)

If you are interested I can't ship them until the asclepias flower. Wouldn't want to send you a regular weed instead lol.

FYI, asclepias species are typically difficult to transplant (unless you start w/ one that was grown potted). You may be better off starting from seed - they grow quickly.

RL836: Thanks for the info. I am already starting seeds, but thought a plant might be a little shortcut to more? Guess not.

If you do not get a trader, you can try ordering from Seneca Hill Perennials in Ny. I believe their website is www.senecahill.com. I have no affiliation other than being a happy customer. I have not ordered Asclepias from there, but they are growing and selling several species.

i know a site where they give away free milkweed seeds for helping thye monarch poplulation, heres the site: http://www.livemonarch.com/free-milkweed-seeds.htm

That's cool. My dad used to grow milkweed to help the monarch catapillers. When they would make cacoons he would stick the sticks all over our screened in porch so they were safe. It was always neat to come home and see a fresh monarch drying it's wings off getting ready for flight.

xvart.

ya, it is quite a fantastic process, i suggest as maybe people grow the plant and other host plant for native butterflys.

Back