What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

slau

Need help Choosing Utricularia, they die easily on me

I've tried my hand at a few utricularias and I havent had much success. I'd like to ask for some recommendations on what to grow, and perhaps if anybody would like to give me a utricularia you think fits my conditions I'd be most happy to pay for shipping for some. Only problem is,,, I live in Singapore.

Conditions here are 80-90+F daily. Relative humidity is 40 - 90%. This is the weather all year round. I can provide bright shade or direct sun, whichever is needed to get the utric to flourish. I'm looking for utrics that grow in this climate, and flower freely. It's a plus if they grow vigorously and quickly.

What hasnt worked for me so far: gibba. I think algae killed my gibba. The whole thing turned brown and started decaying. I put it in distilled water, and left it in a transparent bowl. I changed the water weekly. Bright diffused light conditions. Graminifolia: no clue why it died. Graminifolia enjoys tropical weather. It just started shrinking and disappeared entirely. Grown in a peat glass bowl with soggy peat that's wet but no water inches above the peat line. What's not doing anything: nephrophylla. It's there, it sprouts out a few leaves they are the size of boogers. Then they die back. Grown in a soggy peat similar to graminifolia. Biloba: it's in stasis. I 've read on this forum it enjoys flooding so I flooded it last night and to my horror, a cloud of peat floated up and has completely covered the biloba. I'll try to do something about that this weekend.

So, I'm open to recommendations on what to grow, and if you're willing to give, I'll be even happier. To my surprise, I cant even find white sandersonii on ebay! But I hear it grows ultra slowly in Singapore. I'm not sure if its too hot here or the substrate was wrong.

The only utric I wont try is subulata. It's vigorous but it will probably never flower here.

It's kind of bad manners to ask for stuff.

I would set you up but... singapore lol.

We can't ship plants from America, without complying with CITES and have a phytosanitary certificate, which costs money. However, there are several Singaporeans on this discussion forum (like Cindy, the Moderator). I'm sure she can help ya out in one way or another.

JustLikeAPill: My apologees if it sounded rude. I actually posted that I 'd be prepared to purchase the utrics of an interested seller but I changed that after reading the rules thread.

Jim: Theres relatively little interest in utrics in Singapore disappointingly. The majority of the folks spend their time on neps, sundews and VFTs in that order. :(

Nah, didn't offend me lmao.

Back