What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia purpurea giveaway

UPDATE, Feb. 23-- Both divisions of this Sarracenia have now been reserved pending payment of the shipping cost via PayPal. If either becomes available again, I'll update this post. Best wishes all. --Steve / xscd

UPDATE 2, Feb. 23-- NO MORE requests, please. :) Someone just sent me a payment by PayPal for the shipping charge without sending me a private message first to see if either of the plants were still available (they both had already been reserved). I should have made it clear to send me a private message first, and that even though I might not read the private messages immediately, I would give priority to and respond to them in the order in which they were sent/received.

UPDATE 3, Feb. 26-- The Sarracenia were shipped today, Monday, February 26 by USPS Priority Mail. The root systems were very nice and I hope they travel well to their new homes. I also hope that their new owners will let me know when they arrive and how they look / what shape they're in.
:)

Hello all--

I have a healthy robust Sarracenia purpurea, a deep red one, that now has two large, vigorous growths for giveaway (for $5.50 shipping per plant/growth). It is still dormant and hasn't started growing yet. Here is a photo of the plant I took this morning:

sarracenia-purpurea_23-2-2007.jpg

Terms:
  • 2 mature plants available
  • Shipping must be prepaid, via PayPal only (no exceptions, so please don't ask).
  • I will ship within the continental U.S. only
  • You are responsible for judging if the weather is nice enough in your location for shipping without harming the plant.
  • They will be shipped via US Postal Service Priority Mail, for 2-4 day fast delivery.

If you decide you would like one, please figure out whether you feel confident that the plant can be shipped to your location without damage in severe weather, as there will be no heat or cold pack with the plant and it's still fairly early in the year.

These are very nice divisions that I'm sure anyone (who likes Sarracenia) would enjoy. They will be shipped dormant, bare-root in moist long-fiber sphagnum. Just send me a private message if interested.

Steve / xscd

Pm'd ya! I don't have a purp yet and this would look killer in the bog!

Dang! Steve! Where the heck ya been????

Beautiful plant- mine are all sleeping outside, so it's good to get a reminder of what's just around the corner (sorry for being off-topic, I am not asking for it, just to make sure :))

Dang! Steve! Where the heck ya been????

Hi Bugweed-- Well, I've not been doing anything too exciting; just this and that through the winter; house maintenance (heater went out during a cold spell, darn it!) and such. Now that the growing season is beginning though and my plants are starting to wake up, you'll be seeing more of me around here at TerraForums.

I hope you have been doing great.

All things considered, not too bad, Steve. But it was a long time for me to return from my forced hiatus. Back for now, but who knows what the future holds. Giveaway's are the best way to help our younger members to get prized plants. Keep up the good work, and don't be a stranger! PM me sometime. We can have a fun time with political discussion.

All things considered, not too bad, Steve. But it was a long time for me to return from my forced hiatus. Back for now, but who knows what the future holds. Giveaway's are the best way to help our younger members to get prized plants. Keep up the good work, and don't be a stranger! PM me sometime. We can have a fun time with political discussion.

Forced hiatus? What happened?

Life is certainly a gamble from day to day. :) At least it feels that way to me. I'm very conscious of my own mortality and my aging self. I still enjoy life though, and to some extent the richness of life is seemingly enhanced by the recognition that it is--or can be--so temporary. Anyway, I didn't mean to get all philosophical and all--

Steve / xscd

beautiful plant, thanks for sharing with me

img2830pa8.jpg

beautiful plant, thanks for sharing with me

I'm glad you like it. You may want to trim those old pitchers from last year off as the plant grows new pitchers, which it will do very soon (I believe it was just coming out of dormancy when I shipped it), to give the new pitchers plenty of room to develop without crowding. Also, you can probably expect a flower spike to appear soon too.

Thanks for giving me an update on its welfare. It's a sturdy little plant and I hope it grows well for you.

best wishes,

Steve / xscd

Thanks again Steve! excuse my ignorance but how do you identify the "old" pitchers that need to be trimmed from viable ones? should every pitcher be trimmed yearly? Also, although I'd enjoy a flower spike is it recommended to remove it so as not to stress the plant more than necessary?

I got mine, too! Awesome!

Thanks again Steve! excuse my ignorance but how do you identify the "old" pitchers that need to be trimmed from viable ones? should every pitcher be trimmed yearly? Also, although I'd enjoy a flower spike is it recommended to remove it so as not to stress the plant more than necessary?

The plant is very healthy, so it's probably optional whether you want to allow it to bloom this year or not. You could allow it to bloom, and then cut the bloom and put it in a vase of water if you want, to spare the plant having to support it. Although the petals will fall out, you will be surprised at how long lasting the blooms (the rest of the very interesting flower, minus the petals) will last--many weeks looking just beautiful.

Regarding the pitchers, all of the pitchers on your plant right now are old, from last season's growth before the plant stopped growing and became dormant. You will notice that although they look very good, many of them are a little dry around the margins of the ruffled area of the hoods. Any or all of them can be clipped off (one at a time, gradually, not all at once), as the new pitchers grow, which will start very soon. For example, if you notice a new pitcher beginning to grow outward from the crown toward one side of the plant, just clip off one or two of the pitchers on that side of the plant to give the new pitcher growing room. They will appreciate that and will grow large and robust.

Happy growing,

Steve / xscd

Back