What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Request for donations-Texas Tech greenhouse

The Biology Greenhouse at Texas Tech University has suffered a major plant disaster.

Oversights by the campus maintenance crews caused our steam heaters to "cook" over ½ of our teaching plant collection - to the tune of $16,000.

Among the hundreds of plants that were damaged, our pitcher plants, pings, sundews and flytraps were destroyed. Our entire CP collection is gone, and it's the favorite feature of the students who come through here!

We're still in the cleanup phase of this disaster, but I'm anxious to begin rebuilding the collection as soon as possible. The classes are scheduled to use the CPs soon and budget cuts have left me unable to buy much of anything in the next several months.

If anyone has extra plants or cuttings in their collections that they would be willing to donate to the university, please contact me!

Jennifer
TTU Biology Greenhouse

I have a smattering of CP's, but have extra Mexican pings, if you'd like. I'm sure others have lots of pitcher plants and VFT's, as well as the others.

Hope you guys fired those fools.. probly Union though.
I'll see what I can dig up for ya's!
Do you have a date you want to start receiving plants and an address to send them to?

Hi Jennifer,
Did you have Nepenthes too?
Sorry for your losses.

:-(

Cheers,

Joe

Do you have a date you want to start receiving plants and an address to send them to?
She left contact info on the listserve or you could PM her through Terraforums for mor info. Failing that, I saved that particular article and could PM it to you.

donate good stuff...this is my school....so i get to see whatever gets donated :p

PS: I'll bring some spares by the greenhouse sometime next week...I have some stuff I need to get rid of anyway...

Any Texan in this school, contact Mike Howlett (Houstonherp) on this board, he has a LOT of plants he may be able to donate. He operates Houston Herpetological and the Jesse Jones Reserve north of Houston with many CP for show. He just might be able to help out. VFT's are easy. Location sarracenia are much harder to get. But we have them. Mike is also Headgrower for the North American Sarracenia Conservancy. Give it a shot. Can't hurt!!!

Mike replied on the CP listserv that he would send some things

I hope the new CP collection gets put in a better location though. The few neps and VFTs that were there were suffering from not having enough light. Pings were doing rather well though last time I was in there

Mailing address

We're taking any plants you can offer, whenever you can send them. The classes will need established plants again in 4-6 weeks. Here's my email address, if you'd like to contact me privately, and our mailing address.

Jennifer Simek
TTU Biological Sciences
PO BOX 43131
Lubbock, TX 79409-3131
jennifer.simek@ttu.edu

Thanks to all of you who are responding!
Jennifer

Hope you guys fired those fools.. probly Union though.
I'll see what I can dig up for ya's!

mexican pings

Thanks, Jim! We are getting some very gracious offers of help from people like you. Mexican pings are one of my personal favorites! If you'd like to send your extra plant(s), we'd love to have them. I've just posted my contact info.

I have a smattering of CP's, but have extra Mexican pings, if you'd like. I'm sure others have lots of pitcher plants and VFT's, as well as the others.

The plants you're referring to had already been relocated to better conditions. With the many microclimates in a greenhouse, it sometimes requires trial and error to find the optimal conditions for each plant. The new collection will have a dedicated spot in the greenhouse - in an area of high light and high humidity.

Thanks for the continued interest in our collections. Hope to see you at the next plant sale, which the TTUAB is sponsoring to help offset our losses. I'll send out the sale info in a few weeks.
Jennifer

Mike replied on the CP listserv that he would send some things

I hope the new CP collection gets put in a better location though. The few neps and VFTs that were there were suffering from not having enough light. Pings were doing rather well though last time I was in there

NASC is also donating plants to TTU in order to help restore the educational collection they lost. This is just one of the missions of NASC. We are very glad to be able to help out.

I don't have much but I'll look and see what I might have.

I'm really sorry to hear about the disaster.

Suzanne

Back