What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need to repopulate

I don't deserve to be growing CPs.

I have just tossed several brown sarr rhizomes and while I haven't tossed the sundews just yet, I have a few that I have just brought in and put them under lights to keep a closer eye on their dried, brown, pitiful remains. They were going so well too....

I was wondering if anybody might have some of these that they're trying to get rid of for shipping costs in case mine are indeed dead. They're pretty common:

D. rotundifolia
D. intermedia
D. beliziana (intermedia x rotundifolia)
S. leucophylla
S. Dana's Delight
S. Judith Hindle

Some rhizomes are still white but not doing much growing and I'm not sure what they are so I may still have those last three.

Thanks!
Brian

If the sarr's rhizomes are still white then they're still alive.. as long as they're not mushy. They're just dormant. Mine still haven't really woken up since the weather gets warm then cold all the time up here. It's 41 degrees right now so.. it figures they haven't woken up yet. >_>

I peel away and find it reddish brown-like a sweet potato. Some are white still so I'm crossing the fingers. One rubra is something like 14 inches hight with a second pitcher on the way and the others are not growing at all.

During the winter of 2005/2006, I lost several plants. One of them, a S. purpurea ssp venosa var montana, did not show growth until around August when it produced a tiny 1.5" pitcher. Sometimes these plants can surprise you.... :0o:

The sweet potato coloring is definitely bad. :/

The white is good though. I can tell you that what probably happened is that the rhiozomes froze and burst. It happened to my sarrs as well.

Don't get discouraged! I had a horrible die-off myself last year, and my collection is only now recovering, mostly thanks to the generosity of this community :) Plus my collection too has only just begun to explode into growth, so you're not the only one who's feeling a bit behind the curve ;)

I can't offer you anything off the list you posted, but after looking through your growlist I find I can offer you a small D. aliciae if you want.

My binata nearly died from the frost. It was very hard to tell if it was alive at all, caus so much was gone and brown. Now look at my crop!!! ;) ;)

i lost many plants this winter too...S. flava, all my VFTs and S. 'dixie lace' (surprising much!? i heard they were super cold hardy) the hard frost we had several weeks ago just about killed off all the rest of my plants. however all of them came back from roots or growth point. i even have D. burmanni sprouting up from seed that i put out a few days befor the frost(when it was like 70*-80*. give them time. they will pop up sooner or later.... hopefully ???
Alex

I'm stumped over the drosera. They were under lights in my closest and were doing wonderfully. Then...ack.

It could be a matter of watering or humidity.

It has to be asked, were you using RO water?

I'm stumped over the drosera. They were under lights in my closest and were doing wonderfully. Then...ack.

Bad water? Too much water? Both of your species need dormancy, unless you had one of the tropical varieties of intermedia like "Cuba" or the rotundifolia cultivar 'Charles Darwin' (the Drosera cultivar formerly known as "Evergrow"). Are you sure they just didn't go dormant on you? They should have formed hibernicula if they did. My Drosera capillaris "Pasco Giant" x rotundifolia "Evergrow" just upped and went dormant even though it has been growing like gangbusters just a few weeks before. This hybrid doesn't require dormancy but will go dormant at times.

Just water them less to avoid crown/root rot and see what happens unless they are surely dead.

certainly am. and peat/perlite etc. Shop lights for 14 hours or so.

and the Safer fungicide/insecticide which leads to another question...can you overdo it with that stuff (I assume that you can)? Another drosera is on the way out. There doesn't seem to be signs of bugs though or fungus. The other plants in that tray seem okay too but you'd better believe that I'll be keeping an eye on them.

Bad water? Too much water? Both of your species need dormancy, unless you had one of the tropical varieties of intermedia like "Cuba" or the rotundifolia cultivar 'Charles Darwin' (the Drosera cultivar formerly known as "Evergrow"). Are you sure they just didn't go dormant on you? They should have formed hibernicula if they did. My Drosera capillaris "Pasco Giant" x rotundifolia "Evergrow" just upped and went dormant even though it has been growing like gangbusters just a few weeks before. This hybrid doesn't require dormancy but will go dormant at times.

Just water them less to avoid crown/root rot and see what happens unless they are surely dead.

good water and sitting in a little bit except when I've been out of town and then they got a little extra in the tray. I just received them in a trade a few months ago and they had gone through their dormancy. A d. binata just seems to have kicked the bucket as well and that came from Sarr NW over the winter so they are different sources.

I may change brands of insecticide. I have the Safer brand (and no, it isn't the "soap").

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

well, THEY'RE alive!

While preparing to toss the dead plants, I noticed a small hint of green under the lights. The rotundifolias are clinging to life! They are smaller than the VFT seedlings that I planted this year, but they're there at least.

I'm sad about the others, but this is a nice surprise. Now to baby them for a bit.

Oh, you're using a spray fungicide/insecticide on Drosera? Drosera sometimes react badly to sprays, especially oil based stuff. Takes them awhile to recover, if ever.

What to do if aphids attack?

if the infestation is light and you're very careful you can good results manually removing the buggers from the plants

Re: aphids & Drosera

Use powdered forms of insecticides mixed in water as spray or soil drench versions of systemics. Or non-chemical means such as manual removal or submerging the plant for a couple days in safe water. Or isolate plant pot and all into large enough closed container (jar, trash can or plastic bag) with a flea collar for a few days.

Back