What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need D. Rotundifolia

rockstarcobain

Sarracenia in another life....
Ok, I know this is one of the most common, if not THE most common, carnivore out there, but I cannot find it anywhere. There is some in a bog down the street from my house, and they thrive here. So I was wondering if anyone out there might have a spare plant. I don't have much to trade, but if you have a spare plant, pm me, and I'll see if I can find something you want. Look at my growlist.

Janson

Is the bog on private property? Perhaps the owner will let you collect a couple with permission.

I had some seeds from the ICPS seedbank (Mason Co, WA) as I recall, but they haven't sprouted yet, and I have sown or given away already what I had.

No, they are definitely NOT going to let me collect a couple. It is owned by a Land Trust. I'm actually in Thurston County, WA, but Mason Co. is not far from here. And I probably know where those seeds came from. I have to tell you though, the bog down the street is the first one I have ever seen, and MAN!!! That's why I want a rotundifolia. They are gorgeous. Even if I have to start from seed, that would be ok. The ones in the bog were like 5 inch rosettes. Do they normally get that big in cultivation?

I have some 'Charles Darwin' seedlings but they're still too young to ship. :/ The reason I got them is because they don't require stratification (or dormancy I guess).

Wait a minute.. 5 inches?! In diameter!? I didn't think they got that big!

Oh yea, these things are AT LEAST that big. Someone told me they could be anglica, but they're not. They are roties. So I take that as a " don't expect to get 5 inches in cultivation"? :-))

No, they are definitely NOT going to let me collect a couple.
never hurts to ask ??? just ask nicely!

Yea, when I went down there, they wouldn't let me get that close to the sphagnum mat, and only let me google around for about five minutes. I felt like I was going to find Area 51. :-D

I have some 'Charles Darwin' (the Drosera rotundiforlia cultivar formerly known as "Evergrow") seedlings too - same situation - they're 2.5 months old at the most and not ready for transplanting.

Not many people grow these because (except for 'Charles Darwin') they spend a lot of the time in dormancy or a semi-dormancy.

Ivan Snyder brought one of his 'Charles Darwin' plants to one of the LACPS meetings - I don't recall how big it was - maybe 3-4 inches across. He crossed a couple California forms of rotundifolia to produce this hybrid. See the ICPS cultivar description.

The Washington forms may grow larger.

I am hoping to have a native oregon bog what cps are there I know there is roundiflora and darlington is there anything else?

Probably Drosera anglica and Drosera x obovato (anglica x rotundifolia), some Utricularia. If you're going to be driving up from Los Angeles to Oregon you might stop off at the Darlingtonia walk site. There's also a bog in Northern California where people have foolishly introduced many temperate species of CPs - you'll find non-native species like VFTs, Sarracenia and Drosera. I think Barry's book has info on these. If not, the Internet is your friend :)

Hey Jim, if you visit Oregon you can visit me!

I tried to make an Oregon bog, but the raccoons kept eating the dews. There's a ping. P.macroceras nortensis that should go in an Oregon bog but I haven't seen it for sale.

I am going to live in Coquille oregon thats near Coos Bay,
for the racoons maybe electric fence? I have an idea of
a building that uses clear polycarbonate that you open
in the mouring and close in the afternoon and in winter
to keep the coons away and to keep it warm in the winter.

I am hoping to have a native oregon bog what cps are there I know there is roundiflora and darlington is there anything else?

Maybe Drosera Anglica...but I don't think much else.

Back