What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mother-of-Thousands

I'm at a loss at where seeds suddenly came from in this topic :jester:

-J.P.

EDIT: Just a thought... should this be moved or split into 2 different threads? Or just let it run on seeing as no one wants any of these infernal weeds... I mean... Wonderful plants!

Mother of Thousands is really <I>Bryophyllum daigremontianum</I> It is an annual plant from southwestern Madagascar. It is an annual that can't tolerate frosts.

NOTE: ALL PARTS OF THIS PLANT ARE POISONOUS.

Tell that to my plant... *get winters that go below freezing often* It's bombproof... it just sprouts back from its roots. It will survive along with the roaches after the word ends and nuclear radiation have leveled everything...

-J.P.

You could always try pouring sulfuric acid on them....... might go through the pot as well but hey it could always work. Whatever you do, don't use ammonia, it makes a great fertilizer.

Haha! Well I was orignially hoping I could just send some away to some of my "friends" on here haha. But no one seems to be interested... I have no idea why...

-J.P.

I was thinking more about cuttings. Drosera seed seems to sprout well enough but getting cuttings to root can be problematic at times and painfully slow. But maybe Kalanchoe extract might speed things up.

I'll do some experiments in the next few week and see. I've got more Kalanchoe than I know what to do with.

Wrap them in ABC juicy fruit gum and put them in those little underground tunnels to get rid of the moles!

It flowers?!?!?!? Since when?!?!? NEver seen a flower in the whole time I have been growing it

I thought it appropriate to report that my plants have made a liar out of me.

One of 9 flower heads I have going now

P1270008.jpg

Nice plant. That thing drop many seeds? I'd like to try them out.

Not seeds so much as million upon millions of plantlets that will sprout and grow anywhere there is moisture

Wow lol. I'll have to look into it.

Lol ask any one of us who commented on this thread, myself in particular. I've got...well... THOUSANDS!!!

-J.P.

I used to have that when I was a teen... and then a few years ago. It's like a P. primuliflora... only crazy!

Oh what a great way for me to pay you back for those pings! *dumps a truck load into Jim's backyard*:evil:

But seriously... if you want to try your hand at them again...

I can rip off some plantlets and a leaf for anyone that wants one. They are a bit leggy from lack of light from being to subjected to one of my teachers at school but trust me... they will grow.

*whoops* sorry

Last edited:
After reading this i am very very glad that the small plantlets I tried to start many years ago did not make it.... it looked so harmless on my highschool science teacher's window. I thought "how neat".

I have something that will kill them: My winters! There is a half inch of ice on the inside of the window right now!

I think I actually have one of both... Don't ask me to tell you which one is which. One has very flat leaves with definite "nodes" where little plantlets come off the leaf where the other one is a very succulent leaf that doesn't have definite "nodes". I know that's not the right term but...

Back