What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

there seem to be a few quirks with humboldtii.................the large clone i have seems to prefer a different soil mix than the other type.........also it likes room to run......it grows fast if given room.......ive got a huge mass of stollens sub surface....FAAAAAR more than the amont of leaves would indicate......reniformis is similar in that reguard but more so....most ppl have a humboldtii that seems to be the bromeliad dwelling type. the large clone that i got a hold of last year seems to be a terrestrial type that loves heavier soil and doesnt mind getting a tad dry between waterings......

Yeah, I'd like a bit of that large clone someday....

its spreading to different ppls collections....IIRC it was only collected in the late 1990's early 2000's..........Pyro and i each have it, having recieved it from another grower last year......i sent a couple divisions out this year, plan on sending(read trading) more out next year.

Just curious if you have any experience with the Orchidioides group? Because if you do not then you are going to want to hold back on campbelliana for certain and probably endresii and asplundii. If you have never grown them before then start slow with alpina and see how you do. If you have difficulty with that you won't be able to grow any of the others in the group.

Now to me, that's a little bit scary, since I went through a few attempts to keep U. alpina alive. I still have the seedlings. They are still alive and green, but not doing anything exciting. I treat them like my Ceph - minimal watering, tall pot, SW sun exposure, open tray.

IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg

I've had some pretty good luck with my U. asplundii. Flowered for me for the past 2 years, and this year it sent up around 4 flower stems with one stem bearing around 6-10 flowers! The flowers were pretty good size too, each around 3/4-1" across.
It pretty much filled my 8inch pot so I guess I do have some to trade, though I'm reluctant too, since it has been having some white powdery mold growing on the leaves that I've been trying to get rid of. Perhaps check back with me early next year, to see they are tradable.

Btw, if anyone in the future happens to have any extra epiphytic utrics or humboldtii, message me. I've been wanting to try some new large utric species for awhile now.

Sounds good icedragon

Back