What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
Hi all

I'm in need of some Uticularia species.
I'm looking for any South American varieties as well as/including U. babui,

U. nelumbifolia, U. neprophylla, U. paulineae, U. biloba, U. blanchetti, U. endresii,

U. alpina, U. jamesoniana, U. campbelliana, U. asplundii, U. longifolia, U. striatula,

U. chrysantha, and any others.

Please pm and we can work something out. Please take a look at my growlist. Thanks :-D

- Jeff

Just curious if you have any experience with the Orchidioides group? Because if you do not then you are going to want to hold back on campbelliana for certain and probably endresii and asplundii. If you have never grown them before then start slow with alpina and see how you do. If you have difficulty with that you won't be able to grow any of the others in the group.

asplundii is a pain even if you can grow most of the others............

Well for you it is :p

hey i kept it alive for 2 and a half years before it died.....it just didnt DO anything for those 2 and a half years

Welcome to the wonderful world of Orchidiides :p now you know how I feel about most of them LOL. And yet I still grow them all.:crazy:

lol i would be happy just to see ONE of them flower....any of them...........have been able to grow most OK but getting flowers, or even spikes hasnt happened yet........

Does Reniformis count? I got a badly damaged one in the mail, now it's making tiny new leaves. I grow it just like a heli. Are the others very different?

reniformis is easy but frustrating to grow...........have had mine for 4 years...........no flowers and only 2-4 leaves present at one time........its in a different section along with nelumbifolia, nephrophylla, humboldtii and geminiloba

Just curious if you have any experience with the Orchidioides group? Because if you do not then you are going to want to hold back on campbelliana for certain and probably endresii and asplundii. If you have never grown them before then start slow with alpina and see how you do. If you have difficulty with that you won't be able to grow any of the others in the group.

I'm having a difficult time finding even an U. Alpina. ???

Good tip though, Thanks

its a pain to find any of them alot of the time...........unfortunatly i sent off my last bits of extras yesterday.........will have more in the spring, but for me that means the end of April/begining of May before i can ship........

bummer. Do these things have seasons? Thanks rattler

no i just cant divide and ship them from the begining of November till spring cause its to darn cold......so come spring my pots are generally overflowing and in serious need of thinning :grin:

in May i SHOULD have, barring any major disasters, 2 different clones of humboldti, large form of reniformis, alpina, alpina x endresii, endresii, and praetermissa.............i think thats all ive got? i had extras of all but the endresii and the one clone of humboldtii last spring, ive just traded all extras off since then

So you'ld b willing to do business in May? :-O

keep in mind......other than a hand full of the "common" species like reniformis, humboldtii, alpina, nelumbifolia and nephrophyla few ppl are working with these groups.......Pyro and i seem to be 2 of the main sources of plant material here in the states and we can only produce so much.....especially since most of my plants originate from him........everyone seems to WANT to work with them until they actually find out its alot more work than reward.......i swear they would be more interesting to serious orchid growers than the average CP grower........

keep in mind......other than a hand full of the "common" species like reniformis, humboldtii, alpina, nelumbifolia and nephrophyla few ppl are working with these groups...... Pyro and i seem to be 2 of the main sources of plant material here in the states and we can only produce so much.....especially since most of my plants originate from him........

Just so. Also, something to bear in mind is that these plants are not like your typical Utrics growth pattern wise. They do not grow fast. 2-3 small divisions per year is doing well with them.

everyone seems to WANT to work with them until they actually find out its alot more work than reward.......

Indeed they are a lot of work. Hopefully there will be a CPN article out in the Dec issue that covers some of this and will help for other interested growers. I personally find the flowers reward enough but they can be few and far between.

i swear they would be more interesting to serious orchid growers than the average CP grower........

Absolutely!! That was actually how they got into cultivation in the first place.

There is a chance one of my alpina clones needs thinning. I am slammed from now till Tuesday but I'll check and get back to you then.

There is a chance one of my alpina clones needs thinning. I am slammed from now till Tuesday but I'll check and get back to you then.

:-O That'd be great! Please send me a pm whenever you're ready...

i agree with yah on the flowers being worth the headache.......but i also was growing orchids for several years before i started with CP's.....i was also one of those that took an instant liking to Utrics and up till a major disaster had 100 pots of Utrics a few years ago.....most CP growers are younger and started with CP's first and seem to be more interested in "instant gratification"......note i said most.......that or they just want plants like jamesoniana or campbelliana just because so few ppl have them.....reguardless if thy know how to care for them or not because they want to "one -up" their fellow CP'ers, you see the same sort of thing with the rarer Neps

the Iperua section is usually faster growing than the Orchidioides section(notable exceptions being ive seen the alpina x endresii as well as alpina grow like a weed and reniformis is being very slow for me)......the large clone of humboldtii i have is a VERY fast grower for me and seems the most likely to flower if i can get it to quit roasting the flower stalk in the lights.......12 flower stalks in the last year, all fried......

12 Flower stalks?!?! That's amazing. I've heard that humboldtii is a very slow grower. I'm ready to put in the time for flowers on epiphytic utrics.

Back