What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Tropical Sphagnum Moss

nepenthes369

Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes!
Anyone grow sphagnum of a tropical origin? I'd really like to trade for some.

All inquieries are greatly appreciated,
Rob

There is a swamp I don't remember what island not the big island though,
maybe you could get some that originates from there if it grows there or maybe yu could look for species of sphagnum from a non cp site like a guy who collects sphagnum ?

That's what I'm hoping for the second part at least don't think I'd have any luck or I'd be arrested possibly. thanks though I'll see if I can find someone that gows sphagnum.

rob

Why not just buy a compressed brick of New Zealand LFS? It seems like with a little bit of time it will come back to life. At least that has been my experience with it. You can find it on various websites for varying prices. I was just looking around online, and found a few sources of dried LFS. Of course, New Zealand isn't Tropical, but I imagine the LFS would grow fairly well in a wide range of climates (it does just fine in my hot as balls San Diego heat).

Lets rephrase that,a guy who collects the species like cp people or people who maintanes a collection of sphagnum. Sorry about it not being clear :headwall: I have some lfs I keep moist it is turning green does that mean it is alve ? It does not really look like my live stuff.

Hi,
Heres the question. what do you have to trade, i have 3 different variety's including the all red variety. These are bog mosses, not tropical,

Regards :-O

You can grow your own from the dried LFS. For just 4 bucks, a little light and water and a few months, can give you a nice colony.

The stuff I got from JLAP grows well in my hot humid climate. Good ole' Georgia sphagnum!

Sphagnum is not tropical, really. The only reason I can see people associate Sphagnum with being tropical is because it grows with "Tropical pitcher plants" seen in wild photographs. Any sphagnum will grow in a tropical climate, not well because it prefers cooling climates, especially night time cooling.

I saw some at Big Thicket near Houston, TX. It never would occur to me to poach cp from such a place, but I have to admit, I was tempted to snatch a sprig of this, lol. I figured that was about as warm-growing as you would find.

Cheers,

Joe

Ok first the sphagnum which grows with the nepenthes in the wild is tropical by all means (it grows within the tropics) so there are tropical sphagnums, yes this doesn't mean that they grow any warmer than those species found else where because there are mountain's that give these cooler temps to those areas which gives tropical sphagnum, correct?

Rob

Hi,
I have some sphagnum moss from central Florida if you call that tropical,
if you want some let me know what you have to trade.
Josh

Thanks josh, I've already found some from just north of you but It would be nice to see if one does better or if one is faster than the other, what could I offer you?

Rob

PM sent

Back