What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for neps

I dont have much to trade but Pm me and we can work something out.

Last edited by a moderator:
uhhh what specifically are you loking for? HL, LL...truncata crosses?

uhhh what specifically are you loking for? HL, LL...truncata crosses?
lol i have no idea. Something that is pretty simple for a noob to maintain. Hybrids are fine, i DO NOT have a green house but will be getting an aquarium for that purpose. Hope that helps!

Highlanders are what you want unless you live in a hot place,I grow venetra in low humidity along with ventricosa,judith finn & others. If you do an aqurium thing I have a pic that may help :
P1010002.jpg
2 sockets that were threaded some electrical tape,nuts electrical cord,10 gallon tank and a wood board $30 bucks
I would try capensis,binata and some others...............
Nepenthes get big fast as long as the humidity is like 50% those listed do well for me atleast so I would not do them in a terrarium unless you go for lowlanders.

i have some mantids freed up for trade for neps. Let me know. I'm looking for something that wont get huge but pretty big and that will grow on the ground.

When you say grow on the ground do you mean, grow in the ground? Like outside? If so, you generally don't want to plant a Nepenthes in the ground. There are way too many problems associated with it. As for something that won't get huge but pretty big, the main problem is, you can either get a miniature Nepenthes species, or you can get regular Neps. Regular neps will get pretty huge once they hit the vining stage, but they can always be trimmed back. As for miniature Neps, they don't make very large pitchers and so they may not interest you too much. You should also list your conditions you wish to grow the plant in, so that we have a general idea of which plants would suit your growing area best. Basically humidity, temperature (fluctuations), and light level are all relevant.

Well my dad in hawai planted it in fertile red hawaii soil(I grew tomatoes,cukes and other stuff) it lived for months(while I was gone), I replanted it and it is pitchering in a large greenhouse in hawaii. I think it was rafflisiana(not how you spell it) I do not reccomend it since it was really wanting to croak. I have never seen it's pitchers but I am working in hawaii in the womens house who I gave many of my neps to. I am going to introduce her to capensis :D If you talking about with media on the ground in a tank I would be very carefull about over doing water. For me,I think mini lowlanders would be cool along with some drosera I think I should take it small.
Like I was going to jump into a 55 gallon tank but I am trying a 10 gallon.,

Well my dad in hawai planted it in fertile red hawaii soil(I grew tomatoes,cukes and other stuff) it lived for months(while I was gone), I replanted it and it is pitchering in a large greenhouse in hawaii. I think it was rafflisiana(not how you spell it) I do not reccomend it since it was really wanting to croak. I have never seen it's pitchers but I am working in hawaii in the womens house who I gave many of my neps to. I am going to introduce her to capensis :D If you talking about with media on the ground in a tank I would be very carefull about over doing water. For me,I think mini lowlanders would be cool along with some drosera I think I should take it small.
Like I was going to jump into a 55 gallon tank but I am trying a 10 gallon.,

Thats what i want to do. Grow them in a tank within the medium. Something that doesnt require light ALLL the time and humidity is np i have gagues and a spray bottle (mantid gear is useful for CPs i noticed :boogie: :-)) ).

Thats what i want to do. Grow them in a tank within the medium. Something that doesnt require light ALLL the time and humidity is np i have gagues and a spray bottle (mantid gear is useful for CPs i noticed :boogie: :-)) ).

Ahh ok... that is a bit more manageable. However, planted tanks have their fair share of problems too. Often, the roots will become entangled, and diseases can be spread from plant to plant much more quickly. What do you mean by, "something that doesn't require light all the time"? All plants should have a consistent light source, which only fluctuates as the seasons do (for most plants). As for your conditions, they are vital in determining which types of nepenthes would be best suited for you. You can always alter your conditions to suit your plants, but for starters it is generally easier to pick a plant suited to your conditions. Also, you should consider what size tank you are planning, etc.

I keep my lights on 16 hours a day, year round. You can do 12 hours a day.

If you want to grow Nepenthes in a tank, that's fine but get the biggest one you can afford. Mine is 75 gallons and I have to constantly trade away large plants for smaller ones because my tank is only 18 inches wide. One day I'm GOING to have an air-conditioned greenhouse. I swear it!

I keep my lights on 16 hours a day, year round. You can do 12 hours a day.

Well i can only keep them in the basement (conditions with my old man). And unfortunatly the basement has only 2 window sills about a foot high. I am trying to get the "intelligent light" For uses like that. And i cant find a proper light other than that and the sun but its getting rather chilly here in the Quad City area. What should i do for lighting? I currently keep the CPs more or less outside to get sun and brng them in when its down (the sun i mean)

I would just get some basic shop light fluorescents with a standard cheapy timer. Or you could get some of the correct spectrum compact fluorescents with some cheap reflector hoods. It really depends on how big of a tank you are considering.

The basement is a perfect place to grow them!

Get a 4 lamp, 48 inch shoplight. If you want more that's good, too! I hate compact fluorescents!

Lol yea, I only suggested the compact fluorescents in case he had a smaller tank. But since it is getting cold as you said, and you keep them in the basement, I would definitely go with some sweet highlanders.

Lol yea, I only suggested the compact fluorescents in case he had a smaller tank. But since it is getting cold as you said, and you keep them in the basement, I would definitely go with some sweet highlanders.

Well i have a 1 gallon tank kinda thing and also this http://www.mantisplace.com/mantisnursery.html its the third one down. I can replace the foam with moss and there we go. But i cant seem to find anywhere to buy a light. Any ideas? And what would it look like?

that is entirely too small for neps. You need an aquarium tank or something along those lines.

Even for a mini nep those are both way too small. The best you can hope for, is to house a mini Nep in the larger of the two for a very brief period of time, but that would not be worth it IMHO. I would just pick up a cheap used tank or something... usually you can find some pretty sweet deals if you hunt around a bit. (classifieds, garage sales, pennysaver, craigslits, etc.)

Even 10 glas are like $15 or something at walmart

I like compact flourscents but they get hot :-(
My dad says he has no problerms buying me a 55 gallon tank,is that big enough ?

Back