What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd trade(plants vs bug)

Ok, for anyone in the desert SW(AZ, NM, TX, etc. or the Southeast, i.e FL, SC, Gulf states) I am looking for vinegaroons. Have a few plants I'd be willing to trade including

Macodes petola

Begonia prismatocarpa

Begonia thelmae

Ficus radicans

Cissus amazonica

Begonia glabra

Utricularia longifolia

Bacopa monnieri

If these buggers occur around you, instead of maybe squishing them or shooing them away, send them to me!

~Joseph

I've lived in Phoenix since '75 and I've seen coyotes, javelina, tarantulas, scorpions, black widdows and even a gila monster, but I've never seen a vinegaroon. Where do they hide? I must admit, I never even heard of a vinegaroon, I had to Google it :crazy:

But if I happen to see one..... :0o:

Wow there ugly big bugs. I googled it too and said they could be found under dead/fallen trees.

Under rocks or other cover, or in rodent burrows. They need to be near a source of moisture(so they are often found under rocks near water or other places where the soil will be slightly moist).

To save anyone a google search here is a photo. And they are 100% harmless. Their main defense is spraying a mixture of acid from the base of their tail which is comprised mostly of acetic acid. Smells sorta like salad dressing. The claws on the front, though formidable looking, are pretty much useless for defense.
vinnie2.jpg

Kinda looks like those spider-lookin' things they eat on Fear Factor.

Those are closely related. We have small native species in FL and the Desert Southwest. Though I doubt anyone would come across them(supposedly in FL they like basements and hiding in such places as treebark and stacks of cardboard).

Here are the ones they ate on Fear Factor. :( Shame as they are fascinating creatures.

pair.jpg

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww omg disgusting... you have to eat those?

Mod edit: Please, don't bypass the wordfilter- it's in place for a reason!

Last edited by a moderator:
actually the first picis commonly called a 'whip scorpion' and the second is a 'tailless whipscorpion' they are ******* awesome!!!!

those spider looking things I've seen back home in Miami clearing old palm fronds off a palm tree in my yard.

I'd love those also(Buddhistadam is correct on his ID's btw!), but vinegaroons would be most preferred. Thing about the tailess whips is that they are very fragile as far as being grabbed goes.

everyone can just call me adam makes it simpler... :D

Since common names are 100% useless, "whip scorpions" are uropygids, and the "tailess" ones are amblypigids. They (Amblypigi) are actually much more closely related to Acari and Araneae than Scorpiones.

If you're interested, look for Solifuges too. They have the most powerful jaws in the animal kingdom :D (for their size)

To save anyone a google search here is a photo. And they are 100% harmless. Their main defense is spraying a mixture of acid from the base of their tail which is comprised mostly of acetic acid. Smells sorta like salad dressing.

Would that be more of an Italian or vinaigrette bug-butt dressing?

I'll keep an eye out at the next Reptile and bug show. And if it keeps spraying me with bug-butt dressing while packing it... omg you better be ready to send some uber plant.

-Nate

Under rocks or other cover, or in rodent burrows. They need to be near a source of moisture(so they are often found under rocks near water or other places where the soil will be slightly moist).

vinnie2.jpg

Forget the rocks and rodent burrows, it would appear that these things dwell in sofas or other upholsteried surfaces.

Doubt I'll be running across one in Ohio, but I'll let you know if I do. I'm not so sure just what I'd do if I did come across one of those around here.

I'll keep an eye out at the next Reptile and bug show. And if it keeps spraying me with bug-butt dressing while packing it... omg you better be ready to send some uber plant.

-Nate

Haha, yeah thats more like it. They are sold at reptile stores on the occasion, but unless you really think these plants are worth that money I wouldn't buy one just to ship it to me. They will spray if they feel threatened but once kept in captivity for a time usually stop...but then again packing them up for shipping will be pretty threatening. Air holes so it doesn't gas itself is a must!

omg... i gotta be honest here. If I ever saw any of those bugs I would throw a rock at them and run away screaming like a little girl. But then again, I live in California, so no worries there :).

I've seen vinegaroons the size of my fist haha.

I've been looking around, but the only things around here these days are Hymenoptera and Diptera mimics of Hymenoptera.

Back