What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houstonherp

Send in the Clones
Greetings all -

In an effort to increase the diversity of sites that are represented in the North American Sarracenia (NASC) database and collection, I have some LOCATION-SPECIFIC seed packets available for trade. Each packet contains 40 seeds. These are from NASC-coded populations of plants, and are from plants in cultivation, NOT from the wild. These are available in limited quantities, due to the fact that much of the NASC's seed production is being used to firmly establish these populations in cultivation.

The NASC coding system is similar to the S. alabamensis coding system of the ICPS, in that each population of a species/hybrid is assigned a unique code. This allows both organizations to work in tandem, and prevents confusion in the future about the origin of a given plant. I can supply more information about this to anyone who is interested; OR you can check this out on the NASC web site, under the Grower Committee section.

I am specifically looking for Sarracenia species/hybrid seeds from known locations; . Any and all seeds traded/donated will be used strictly for NASC growout, NOT for personal uses. This means that you will be assisting the NASC in getting more populations of these plants into cultivation, which will help preserve them from extirpation.

Locations with GPS information will be given priority over seeds with less accurate (county and state) information. Here's what I have:

S. ALATA 'BLACK/RED F2' - HARRISON COUNTY, MS - 15 PACKETS
S. ALATA - NASC CODE ALA-TX006 - TYLER COUNTY, TX - 10 PACKETS
S. ALATA - NASC CODE ALA-TX001 - TYLER COUNTY, TX - 40 PACKETS
S. ALATA - NASC CODE ALA-LA001 - ST. TAMMANY PARRISH, LA - 15 PACKETS
S. ALATA - NASC CODE ALA-TX002 - TYLER COUNTY, TX - 45 PACKETS
S. X MOOREI - NASC CODE MOO-FL024 - LEAH WILKERSON BOG, WALTON COUNTY, FL - 10 PACKETS
S. X CATESBAEI - NASC CODE CAT-FL010 - LIBERTY COUNTY, FL - 75 PACKETS

Feel free to e-mail me at headgrower@nasarracenia.org or houstonherp@aol.comwith any questions you may have. Thank you in advance for your help in this worthwhile project!

Regards,

Mike

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

headgrower@nasarracenia.org

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 16): 554 Sorry, this message appears to be spam (#5.6.0)

Mike,
You might want to check your spam folder for emails... :slap:

Thanks for the note Ron!

I wanted to let everyone know that at the time that the initial post was made, there was apparently a security issue with my headgrower@nasarracenia.org e-mail address. This issue caused any e-mails sent to this address to be bounced back to the sender.

It appears that the problem has been resolved; so if you have snet an e-mail to headgrower@nasarracenia.org and not received a reply, please re-send or forward to the alternate address (houstonherp@aol.com).

Thanks in advance, and good growing!

Mike

Ok here is a question here. How does one go about getting a hold of some seed with no location specific ones to trade? I think I just have St. tammany, but I am interested in the Alata black/red f2.

Here is another question. I agree totaly with what Nasc is doing so with that said, the growers do get to use theses for personal enjoyment since they are the ones growing them. I don;t understand what the Nasc growout is. Are these plants getting reintroduced into their home locations to increase the wild stands? Please don't take offense to this, because it is not meant that way. As an outsider like myself, Seeing that there is only certain growers "allowed" to grow these plants. I fail to understand how that helps get them into cultivation.

So I guess what I am asking is, will plant eventually get released for sale by someone? Because if only certain NACS "growers" are allowed to grow plants which they are and do enjoy them "personally" then they are not getting put into cultivation.

Again I am not trying to accuse or anything. I just want to understand how someone like me who is not a NASC grower, but a hobby grower can get some of these plants without already having some location specific plants.

Back