What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello,
I was wondering if I could trade someone for leaf cuttings of any of the following:
*I am also open to root cuttings* (edited)
Drosera
Capensis 'Red'
Binata multifida
Binata *dichotoma* (small red)
Prolifera
Venusta
Regia 'Big Easy' *ROOT CUTTINGS* (edit)

If you have any of these and would be willing to trade, please email me at aamay03@yahoo.com so I can get back to you sooner and I will send you my tradelist.
Thanks a lot,
Aaron

You may want to remove regia those guys are very hard to start from leafs the rest will work great :)

Have you ever tried any?

Me ? No but in almost all cases there is failure for Regia leafs.
Someone in CPUK or here did one with success but thats about it.
The rest should sprout very easy though :D

I have tried several leaf cuttings with D. regia. Unfortunately I have never gotten a single one to strike. I have used all the traditional methods and a few non-traditional ones with zero success. From what I understand root cuttings have a much higher success rate.

What exactly is D. binata 'small red'?

Cheers
Steve

I would also suggest root cuttings, unless you have a reason to specifically try propagation by leaf cuttings.

I have heard that Regia is terrible for leaf cuttings, but in this report (from William Joseph Clemens) at the International Carnivorous Plant Society,

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v33n3p83_89.html
(towards middle of the page)

William Clemens posted a picture of some leaf cuttings of the 'Big Easy' that he started in water. I figured I'd try my hand at it, as i've had great success with leaf cuttings so far.

Also, thank you Dave S.
I figured leaf cuttings would be easier to get, but I am more than open to root cuttings.
Thanks,
Aaron

D. regia leaf cuttings are very viable if they are fresh, but after going through the postal service they wont be very fresh... Root cuttings are the way to go.

I've had most succes with root cuttings.

vft guy,
I edited the binata 'small red'
-forgot to type dichtoma

vft guy,
I edited the binata 'small red'
-forgot to type dichtoma

Just FYI... There is no such thing as D. dichotoma 'small red' There is only one published cultivar of D. binata dichotoma. Any other labels such as "Giant form" or whatever are invalid.

Also, D. binata 'Multifida' and D. binata 'Multifida Extrema' are the same plant.

Good luck
Steve

I don't know. I heard about dichotoma (small red) in The Savage Garden
*edited- The D. dichotoma (small red) is sold at california carnivores if you want to see a picture of it.*

They could be making up these cultivar names. However, I don't think that they'd do that.

I have to agree with you on D. binata 'Multifida' and D. binata var. Multifida 'Extrema' (i'm prolly slaughtering it:blush: ) They do look very similar, and it appears that many sites are offering both of the different spellings of this binata cultivar, while their pictures look exactly the same.
*I did some research and evidently it is not written as 'extrema' because it is not yet accepted as a cultivar. It is rather written as Drosera binata (multifida extrema)*
Thanks for the corrections,
Aaron

It's probably not a cultivar name, just a description of the plant. Like the way there is the D. capensis cultivar 'All Red', but there are loads of D. capensis "Red". The difference is between the double and single quotes. We really need to terminate the current CP labeling system and adopt the orchid labeling system.

If you're after a nice red capensis, adnedarn has a stunning true cultivar ( 'All Red' ) for sale in his store, and I think it's only about 6 bucks. I'm looking to order one for myself as soon as the weather clears up!

i'll see if the seeds that germinated (which are labled "Red") look like the one on the site once they develop. If they turn out to look more like the typical, I'll definitely have to give that 'All Red' on adnedarn's site a try :)

Back