What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Sensitive Plant" seeds still available

Roarbark

Interesting Specimen
I still have a large amount of Mimosa Pudica "sensitive plant" seeds for trade.

The plant has small thing leaves, and the leafs close and fold closer to the plant when touched, in hot weather, or during the night.

The plant is native to Brazil, but has become established in many tropical areas (such as in Hawaii, where it has become a weed), and may be damaged by cold temperatures. It has a nice fluffy pink flower, and its pollen is usually wind carried.
Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hTjlXLzCFE&feature=related
is a video of the plant in action.
Post or send me a PM if you're interested.
-Justin

Last edited:
YES it's a great plant that will shock your friends and family.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLTcVNyOhUc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLTcVNyOhUc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
I think that is the best sensitive plant video on youtube.

i'd like one, but i dont know what you'd want to trade me with. my collection is super small compared to all these other people.

i have one of those, mine got over 5 ft tall before i decided to cut it back

I'd like some, what do you want?

i'd like one, but i dont know what you'd want to trade me with. my collection is super small compared to all these other people.

Mmmm I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat as you are. What you need to do is find a local weed that has novelty value to people in areas where it isnt a weed, and trade the seeds for it for a variety of CP seeds, like i'm doing xD. Although mimosa is really awesome... :)

Do you have any non CP's that you'd trade? I might possibly be interested in some of those.

Wow, great vid Muscipula! Especially the ones where the leaves do a chain reaction domino effect! I would've posted that one if I had found it.

I'd like to get this into my collection as well. What kind of stuff are you looking for? I have a lot of common/semi-common Drosera about ready for division, and miscellaneous things in most other genera. I take it you're probably in the market for tropicals?
~Joe

Well, the seeds are good :) I planted them maybe 3 days ago (after doing the hot water over night thing... well, over night and a day.. and a night LOL) and today I found this
0503080858.jpg

Well, the seeds are good :) I planted them maybe 3 days ago (after doing the hot water over night thing... well, over night and a day.. and a night LOL) and today I found this
0503080858.jpg

Whoo hoo! there you have it ladies and gentlemen!
(Now whats this about hot water? o_O) Soaked them?

I'd like to get this into my collection as well. What kind of stuff are you looking for? I have a lot of common/semi-common Drosera about ready for division, and miscellaneous things in most other genera. I take it you're probably in the market for tropicals?
~Joe
Yes, tropicals are the most desirable for me at the moment.
Out of the sundews on your growlist I'd probably be most interested in the Binata Multifida/Multifida Extrema, and the pygmies.

Do you have any small-medium duplicate neps you'd be willing to part with?

Man am I ever tired, I've been up for 20 1/2 hours, in which I've: ridden 200 or so miles in the car to the other side of the island and back, competed in a track meet (in which I ran 3 miles total in my events), and gone to a party when I arrived back, where I jumped on a trampoline for 1-2 hours, playing dodge ball with a spikey dog toy, a flat soccer ball and a toy mini volley ball...
Therefore I reason that I should go to sleep.
Looking foward to hearing from you,
-Justin

Man am I ever tired, I've been up for 20 1/2 hours, in which I've: ridden 200 or so miles in the car to the other side of the island and back, competed in a track meet (in which I ran 3 miles total in my events), and gone to a party when I arrived back, where I jumped on a trampoline for 1-2 hours, playing dodge ball with a spikey dog toy, a flat soccer ball and a toy mini volley ball...
Therefore I reason that I should go to sleep.
Looking foward to hearing from you,
-Justin
Dude you need to stop chewing those coca leaves.

I read about the hot/warm/boiling water thing in your other topic... ( http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112698 ) I was short on time so I honestly never did too much research into it... I just microwaved some water to get it warm, tossed the seeds in it... it sat there over night and through the next day, then I dumped most the water out, and the rest of the water and seeds into a zip lock baggie... I hung that on the fridge at my parents (where the g/h is) forgot to plant them that day... I think I forgot the next day too... then the day after that I was leaving and saw them, so just ran out and kinda dumped them in a pot. (that's why there are some clustered in the middle, although i did use tweezers to move some around) Yesterday, I used the tweezers again and moved some from the middle to another pot, and some just around in the same pot....

not meaning to hijack, but could the seed water thing work with CPs?

Dude you need to stop chewing those coca leaves.
*grins*. No coca leaves me for. :nono:
I read about the hot/warm/boiling water thing in your other topic... ( http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112698 ) I was short on time so I honestly never did too much research into it... I just microwaved some water to get it warm, tossed the seeds in it... it sat there over night and through the next day, then I dumped most the water out, and the rest of the water and seeds into a zip lock baggie... I hung that on the fridge at my parents (where the g/h is) forgot to plant them that day... I think I forgot the next day too... then the day after that I was leaving and saw them, so just ran out and kinda dumped them in a pot. (that's why there are some clustered in the middle, although i did use tweezers to move some around) Yesterday, I used the tweezers again and moved some from the middle to another pot, and some just around in the same pot....
Hmm. Well, this process definitely wasn't necessary for me to get germination when I tried with the seeds from plants around my yard, but perhaps it helps provide a more uniform germination.

Very interesting idea Adam. I would think that most types of CPs would take too long to germinate to use that method, but I'm definitely not positive. I'm sure that would/does work for types of aquatic/intermediate/terrestrial utrics. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Hi Adam

It is possible that the boiling water treatment could work with certain CP's. The water is used to soften hard seed capsules, so if you have species with hard seed capsules it is possible that this will improve germination.

I think it requires some experimentation to check the effectiveness of this. I have recently received some R. dentata seed and I am going to try a couple of different methods to see which one works best.

Aye, I've heard of soaking seeds in water in order to soften their coats as a preparation for sowing, but what Andrew and Larry (in the last topic) were talking about sounded like actually waiting for the seed to germinate while it was in the water.
("I leave them there until I see it send out a root.")
I think it requires some experimentation to check the effectiveness of this. I have recently received some R. dentata seed and I am going to try a couple of different methods to see which one works best.
Hope you share your results with the forums when you're finished experimenting, sounds like it should be interesting.
-Justin

I didn't wait till I saw a root... I was just short on time. I meant to only leave them over night lol! As of yesterday, I had 16 sprouts (out of 25 seeds I think)

I soak them in warm water, afraid boiling water would cook the seeds. In 2 days they sprouted in water. Then I use tweezers and plant them in trays. I use the water method for most Drosera seeds.

I put 1 seed directly into normal potting soil and it sprouted in two days. It's a slow grower at first, took 3 months to grow a foot, a month after that and it was 2 ft and 2 months after that it was 5 ft. It got too big and thorny so i cut it down to 3 inches and 11 months after i first planted that seed it's still thriving.

I put 1 seed directly into normal potting soil and it sprouted in two days. It's a slow grower at first, took 3 months to grow a foot, a month after that and it was 2 ft and 2 months after that it was 5 ft. It got too big and thorny so i cut it down to 3 inches and 11 months after i first planted that seed it's still thriving.

Yep, theres the weed in it coming out :)

Note: Still got HUGE amounts of seed (just collected about the same amount as i had at the beginning this afternoon). If i have made (or am making) a deal trade with you, and haven't already sent the seeds out, you may find I'll be sending a bit more seeds then we previously agreed upon.

I have 20 of the 25 sprouted now :) and some have leaves already and they do react to touch even this young :-)) these things are a blast! lol

Back