What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Azolla and Frogbit

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Anyone have any extra Azolla (fairy moss) and/or Frogbit they'd be willing to part with? If so, PM me and we can work something out. I don't need huge quantities of either, just a small amount for my 20 gallon water garden.

Thanks,
Crystal

The mention of Frogbit in your title caught my attention.
In Michigan you can get a $50.0 to $10,000.00 fine depending on how much you have and what you are growing it in.
I don't know about NC but I would still say that you should be careful about what you want. Check your states invasive species list.
Up here I keep begging people to destroy those pretty white and purple flowers they see on the road side (Purple loosestrife) instead of asking me how to transplant them to their gardens.

Invasive species are quickly becoming a huge problem in the states and we all need to start doing what we can to slow them down if not stop their spread.

Sorry 'bout the rant in your request but I am currently witnessing an invasive destruction of a small bog caused by Purple loosestrife and Narrow leaf cattail hybrid.

Hi Vater,

I appreciate your concern. I am aware that frogbit is restricted in some states. I have done research before making my post. Nothing states it's restricted in NC. I understand your concern about it getting into the wild and becoming invasive. I assure you that if it happens to fall out of my water garden somehow, it will die before it reaches any other water. I'm not located near any ponds, lakes, rivers, streams, or even any mud puddles as of late.

I'd honestly be happy with any kind of floating water plant except duckweed. I'm looking for something to help cover the surface of the water to help keep it from getting so warm and to combat algae. I'm mostly looking for Azolla, but anything else would be a plus as well. I have some other water plants for trade and perhaps some Drosera and pings. If those are a no-go, PM me and we can work something out.

Crystal

Last edited:
PMed ya Poly.

Still interested in some Azolla :).

Crisaaytal,

In that case I'll be happy to keep my eyes open at the local nurseries for you.
I get green stock for a pittance compared to regular prices.

Crissytal,
I've got some of both for you. Are you anywhere near Raleigh?

Vater,
That would be great! I'd be interested in small quantities of anything that isn't restricted in NC. When the time comes we can work out a trade etc.

Hosta,
Unfortunately I'm a good ways from Raleigh. I'm right on the coast. Would you be willing to ship? I'm afraid it would cost more for me to drive there and back then it would cost to simply ship. If you are interested in shipping, send me a PM and we can work things out.

Thanks guys!
Crystal

All my azzola died over the winter, but I have access to more. I will be repopulating my supply of it when I speak to an ex professor of mine. If you still have not gotten some I will ship you a small amount to get you started.

Back