What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Request: Binata "T" Form

Hey!
I'm looking for a plant of any size of D. Binata "T" Form. My mom found out that i was keeping plants in the fridge for dormancy and strangely she was okay with it....she said that I have to take them out in the week of Christmas so she can make some salads and stuff and put them in. So I moved them out to the shed...as I live in an apartment my shed is made out of thin ply-wood and does not keep temps very well (they were originally made to store garbage cans but havent been used for 5 years and i cleaned it out, and put my gardening supplies in there) And the temps have dropped to around freezing and since Binatas are hardy to zone 10 it turned into frozen moosh i went to to check on them today and found the whole plant brown and frozen. So i went inside and left it on the windowsill after it defrosted i gently squised the plant and it sorta exploded into complete mush......such a loss....so please pm me if you happen to have a spare...I hope we can work something out. Happy Holidays!

hey kamil, i may have some binata (altough not "T" form). But next time just put them in your room. One week of non-dormancy is fine, as long as they get fridge time later. And actually a windowsill would be fine for them probably. Dormancy isnt crucial.

Don't toss the pot out. Drosera binata can die down to the roots if exposed to frost and come back in the spring. If the pot froze all the way through you may have lost the plants.

From Peter D'amato's "Savage Garden":

"Dormant in winter, it (Drosera binata) is tolerant of brief freezes to fifteen degrees, but if the roots freeze completely, you may loose the plant."

I would not even worry about dormancy with this plant, your specimen will get a lot bigger if you're not choking it back once a year.

I would not even worry about dormancy with this plant, your specimen will get a lot bigger if you're not choking it back once a year.

Agreed. see kamil i told j00 -.- haha jk. :) but i did tell you and you were like yea, if you want a sick plant..then i was like nuh uh and you were like uh huh and on and on LOL. jk haha.

p.s i told j00 soo i told j00 sooo :)

Yes, halt u told me....Im afriad the whole pot has frozen solid.....

Kamil: Binata T-form is what I will be sending you. Is there are reason that you're asking around for more?

You can always dig up the roots. I was surprised to find that my binata plants from last year survived several freezes - freezes that killed 20 VFTs, a purpurea, and several darlingtonia.

Will do! Brokken i didnt know they were t forms...okay TRADE CLOSED

Back