What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Capensis Seeds for Sase

First person to post gets them

It will be the whole flower stalk which a a butt load of seeds

i would like them. ill pm you tonight

I have a flower stalk that is about to start flowering. I was wondering if you have to pollenate them for them to seed? do you need two flowering capensis or just one with 2 flowers? I would be down to ship the stalk to anyone if I am able to seed em myself.

I think they are self-fertile u dont need to polinate.

Kamil

All you need is one capensis, this plant will eventually spread like a weed! It's very adept at self pollination.

so I read up a bit. I found that many plants can be "Selfed" meaning that when you take pollen from the anthers and apply it to the stigma. "Selfed" is transferring a flower's own pollen to its stigma. So I assume that D. Capensis will self pollinate but I was wondering how? Does it self pollenate when the wind blows the plant in nature or is gently bumped in the terrarium? Does it self pollenate when it closes and dries up and then falls to the ground? I have found several drosera in places they should not be.. is this because they fall off the flower and then settle and germinate?

It self germinates when the flower shrivels up. The flower is only open for about a day but a new flower opens on the stalk daily usually. Each flower produces seeds so the flower itself is defined as 'perfect' meaning it has both anther and ovary.
My guess is that the stamen is above the stigma and when the petals shrivel the pollen is deposited on the stigma thus pollinating the flower.

some aren't as good at this process, when the flower closes, so it is best if you self-pollinate them yourself. This isn't the case for D. capensis.

Sundews can spread like weeds due to several reasons. One is that some of the seeds can fall out of the pods on their own, or when bumped. Another reason is that their roots spread out and sometimes pop up a plantlet, which is geneically identical plant to the parent.

Back