What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Hey guys, I am offering up some live Sphagnum moss for trade. I currently have three portions that I would like to trade off for Drosera, Pings, or Utrics that I don't have. The portions are roughly a cup each (though the way I pack it in the measuring cup and then top off the bag, it will be more than one cup). I'm not looking for anything particular (other than a P. gypsicola) just as long as it's not on my grow list. I'm sure something can be worked out :).

The moss that I'm offering is a native species to North Carolina and can tolerate the heat well. It must stay moist to fairly wet though to do well in extreme heat. It did well for me last summer with temperatures hitting over 100 regularly, but it had to stay fairly moist. It also withstands the winters here well. This moss has been collected from the wild on family owned property. Care was taken to not harm the area, only the top portion of the moss was clipped. It was not pulled up. Again, the moss is wild collected from family owned property.

Due to the moss being wild collected, it won't be in pristine condition. I have hand picked out all the leaves and grass that I can. There still might be a small amount left mixed in the moss, but for the most part it is clean.

Please feel free to contact me with offers. I keep my messages checked.

Here's my grow list: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112573

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

Might you be interested in some pygmy droseras - D. occidentalis x pulchella?

Let me know. :)

Thanks everyone who have shown interest so far. I will get back with everyone in a couple days.

Thanks again! :)
Crystal

Everyone that has PMed me should have heard back from me this morning.

Brokken,
Thanks for the offer on the pygmies. I think I want to hold off on them right now. Thanks again!

Looks like I have about two portions left. I should add that I'm also open to any Ping leaf pullings that I don't have. Come on guys, you know you want some moss! :)

Hey guys,

Just an update. I still have two portions left for trade. I've mostly been offered seed and gemmae. My concern with those items are the difference in shipping costs. I just would like the trade to be as close to equal on both sides as possible. The actual amount in the portions is negotiable. If need be, I can collect some more to complete the trade.

A more recent picture,
IMG_0883.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Crystal

One portion left :).

Hi Crissytal,

I was actually referring to growing plants rather than gemmae. I don't know if that changes anything.

Picture020.jpg

Looking good Jim!! I'd recommend letting the water level go down some between waterings. It might start to rot on you if it's kept too wet all the time. Thanks for the picture!

Crystal

phew that stuff looks good.

I was glad I got some from you :)

the moss I got from you is built like a tank... wayyyyy more hardy than what I had...
I knew different varieties had different tendencies... but sweet lord. it'd take a nuke to kill the moss I got from you :p

Thanks for the kind words Chris! It does seem more hardy than some of the other species. I have a total of four, dried BetterGro orchid stuff from Chile that came to life, NZ domestic, an IDed type forget where it's from, and the local NC species. Out of all of them, the local stuff holds up the best with growing both out doors and inside under lights. The NZ domestic and Chile varieties rank second with indoor growing (experimenting with it outside right now, not adjusting too quick) and the IDed type ranks last. It hates me.

I hope everyone else that received moss from me is doing well!

Crystal

Fantastic! Like Chris said they are indestructible. I'm having great success with my new little colony : )

Glad to hear it's doing well for ya Edax!!

No whiteness or browning, even in low household humidity here in arid New Mexico...

This stuff is great! Thanks again, Crystal!

Awesome Jimmy!! Glad it's doing well for ya! It really does seem to hold up better than most. I hope it continues to do well for you.

Crystal

Looking good Jim!! I'd recommend letting the water level go down some between waterings. It might start to rot on you if it's kept too wet all the time. Thanks for the picture!

Crystal

I just added water after a few days. I find that before it gets established it needs to be saturated. Once established, as long as it's moist, that's sufficient.

Ah okay. I'd personally let the water rise and fall a bit just to ensure it doesn't turn to mush on ya. I've found that keeping the water level close to even with the peat is enough, but do what works best for you. Either way, it's still looking great!

Crystal

Back