What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for some flowering and edible plants...

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
Hey TF,

Im looking for the following "normal" plants:

Pawpaw
Pomegranate
Solandrum maxima
Aristolochia sp.

Cherimoya
Kiwi
Guava
White strawberries
Feijoa/pineapple guava
Semi/Dwarf Apples
Gravenstein Apple
Tea plant
Boyson/ Logan / Olalla-berry
"Ice Cream" Banana

Really anything exotic and flavorful. If its unique and tasty please let me know! I will trade handsomly or the "other thing". Thanks guys!

Semi/Dwarf Apples

this has more to do with rootstock that the tree themselves...........dwarf rootstock gets yah smaller trees reguardless of variety

kiwi

what type? there are 4 different species in common cultivation.......

Are you looking for plants whose flowers you can eat, or plants that have lots of flowers and also grow fruit?

'Cause if you're looking for plants that produce fruit and also have flowers, you have a LOT to chose from! All fruits are by definition angiosperms (flowering plants).

Maybe add Passiflora to your list. They have both spectacular tasting fruit and spectacular looking flowers. It's actually my third favorite fruit after mangosteens and chocolate persimmons.

I just saw some passiflora vines at a grocery store today.

You want pomegranite? Try sprouting some from seeds. Maybe check stores for fruit and sprout the seeds. I got 100% germination rate, but I forgot to water them... :'(

You forgot Akebia quinata. I really like it and it does well for me here on an arbor. I have 6 or 7 plants that I grew from seed so that they will cross-pollinate. They root from ground layering too though.

Rattler,

Oh, thank you! Im nearly positive ive seen genetic dwarf apples in catalogs though (?).

Brokken,

Sorry my titles confusing. A few of the plants im looking i want to grow for their flowers, but most i want to grow for their fruit. :)

Jeff,

I actually have some seeds of P. edulis. I agree, they are delicious! Have you ever tried a ripe cherimoya? That is the best tasting fruit ive ever tasted!

I might try that if i cant find any other plants...

IndianaGardener,

That plant looks really interesting! Ive heard they dont fruit well/consistantly under cultivation though...?

with apples, the issue you run into is those bred to be genetic dwarfs, lil attention was paid to fruit quality.....the fruit quality on most all of the columular type apples sucks.........you farther ahead getting apples you want and either grafting them on to dwarf root stock OR just keep them trimmed.....if yah pay attention you can keep any apple variety at a small size through trimming.....

That plant looks really interesting! Ive heard they dont fruit well/consistantly under cultivation though...?

It flowers reliably, but may skip a yr or two with fruiting. It does here at least. It may be different in various locations.

akebia-quinata1.jpg

akebia_expanded_view.jpg

akebia_fruit.jpg

You can eat the seeds with the fruit pulp, but don't chew them. If you break them open, they will cause nausea. The fruit is quite good though and very sweet.

if yah pay attention you can keep any apple variety at a small size through trimming.....

That's right. You could espalier one.

geeze....yah wind up with extra seeds or cuttings from that Akebia, keep me in mind, supposed to be hardy enough for up here.......

I have two 1 gal. plants now, each from different vines. Need both if you ever want fruit. Took mine 6 yrs from seed to fruit. Don't know how long from layered cuttings.

if obregon isnt interested in them(as this is his thread) and yah still have them in a few months when it warms up here enough to ship we may have to have a chat :D

Cold during shipment doesn't bother these. They have been above ground in the pots through two winters. They have leaf buds even now. They freeze solid and it makes no difference. But you would have a difficult time planting them now anyway with a frozen ground.

If obregon wants these, I'll probably have more late summer if you want.

let me know.......

all yours rattler, and thanks IG! I need to keep some space for my other massive vines lol!

I don't have anything to trade.....but I just want to second the fantastic flavor of a good Cherimoya. It is my absolute favorite fruit!!! I grow an Annonacea relative, the pawpaw (Asimina triloba) here in New Jersey. I have eaten many great Cherimoyas in Ecuador.

Do you have any extra pawpaws?! I forgot about them, they are delicious!

Back