What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am in my last semester of Botany at Weber State University. I am in need of a reasonably large quantity of Drosophyllum seed. I am attempting to improve tissue culture techniques with this plant.

I still have some Roridula seed available.
I have some Neps and Helis and 1 ceph available right now as well.
I have some various sundew to trade as well.

I can pay cash for the seeds but that would need to be facilitated outside of this forum.

I have an adult specimen in the start of its second year but I am fearful that by the time it flowers it will be too late for my deadline.

For those interested here is a brief summary of my project:

Title: Micropropagation of Drosophyllum lusitanicum, a comparison of media

Hypothesis: More plantlets will be produced for ex-vitro conditions by adjusting the media and hormonal levels in culture.

Brief Summary: Drosophyllum lusitanicum is an endangered species of Spain, Morocco and Portugal. It grows on dry ruderal and disturbed sites. Seeds are unable to germinate in the vicinity of adult plants and other co-occurring species (Genista sp). Seeds are unable to be dispersed long distances and the plant is unable to perform vegetative reproduction. Modeling some of the techniques discussed in “S. Goncalves and A. Romano 2004” I will attempt to improve the conditions cited in the article to increase the ex-vitro survival of the plant. I will be using seeds as my primary explant but I will also experiment with shoot tips, root tips and anthers. I will be comparing the differences between two cytokinins and two types of media. My cytokinins to be compared are zeatin and kinetin and my media to be compared will be MS (Muarashige and Skoog) and Heller’s media.
Drosophyllum produces a naphthoquinone called plumbagin in a high percentage during callus formation. This naphthoquinone is known for its antimicrobial, anticancer and antitumor properties (Naha’lka). This production of plumbagin has been considered for commercial applications. I will be noting its production in culture.

Everyone,

I can vouch that Blake is indeed a student working on this project for his degree at Weber State University. I have visited with him, gotten to know him personally, and am supportive of the work he is trying to accomplish both as a student as well as a CP enthusiast. Please, if you have Drosophyllum seed, donate to this good cause.

Xantius

PM'd..............

Update: I have tracked down a few seed but I am still in need of a lot more in order to get a testable amount.

So if you hear anything about someone with seed or are expecting some seed to ripen soon please let me know.

I think I know a guy in California who has some. EMAIL me.

I would post your request on the ICPS listserv. If you are already on the listserv. You can find information here.

Waaaay sorry that i can't help you out on this one.
My plant bloomed in Jan,(Ooops wrong time of year) didn't produce any seed then died.

Back