What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Orthonex... Neps for trade

Hey there fellow TF members. It seems as though the makers of Orthonex did not renew their permits for California (or so I was told). If anyone would like to trade a bottle or two of Orthonex (the systemic insecticide and fungicide) for a Nep (rooted or unrooted depending on the trade), I would love to discuss it further. Please feel free to PM me or post here for an offer. I have various Neps that I can take cuttings of, but only a few that are fully rooted for trade, so it depends on what you're looking for. Thanks!

Daniel

I would also love to hear any suggestions on an alternative systemic control... I have a couple that i'm trying out right now, but I know Orthonex has a proven track record. One of the fungicide/disease controls, is actually made by the same people that make Orthonex, but it is not an insecticide as well. The insecticide is made by a different company, but i cannot recall the name of that one either. Anyway, all suggestions/input is greatly appreciated as always!

Daniel, the insecticide I use is Bayer advanced 3 in 1 insect, disease, and mite control. It advertises up to 30 days protection. I've used it several times and have had good, quick results with spider mites and aphids. I have also used it on all my different plants and it has caused no ill effects to any of them. I also have Daconil fungicide, but I very rarely use it.

Jason

Do you spray it routinely? I've been noticing white specks ONLY on my Drosera's flowers... Then I squinted, and saw a caterpiller with black toes :3 (feet w.e) Then i fed it to the drosera it was munching on... but still see white, unmoving specks. i've been meaning to buy insecticide but don't know what kind ;3

For fungus problems I use just straight sulfur and it works wonders. When it comes to pests though I use Neem Oil. Boy does that stuff work! Apply it for a week or so and your plants will look shiny and new with no signs of pest damage.

-J.P.

Use Neem Oil for sure. Or find a mix of Pyrethrins and Neem. That's what I'm using on my neps.

Does the neem oil burn the plants if they are in direct sun?

I've got a bottle of Orthenex I'll split with you. How soon do you need it? Maybe we can get together and share cuttings.

ive got an extra can of the aerosol orthenex. Let me know Daniel.

Does the neem oil burn the plants if they are in direct sun?

I've got a bottle of Orthenex I'll split with you. How soon do you need it? Maybe we can get together and share cuttings.

Neem oil does not burn the plants if they are in direct sun.

Is orthenex the same as orthene? I bought a bottle of orthene years ago. It lasted a long time but now I'm running low and haven't seen it for sale in years. I would love to be able to get more of this stuff.

I have the aerosol orthenex for roses, I use that to spray Sarracenias, but for other CP's, I'd like to have more accuracy and just apply to only areas that are afflicted by pests.

Daniel, the insecticide I use is Bayer advanced 3 in 1 insect, disease, and mite control. It advertises up to 30 days protection. I've used it several times and have had good, quick results with spider mites and aphids. I have also used it on all my different plants and it has caused no ill effects to any of them. I also have Daconil fungicide, but I very rarely use it.

Jason

Hey Jason,
Thanks for the heads up. Now that you mention it, I believe this is the same stuff I bought. The thing that sucks is that it comes in a hose attachment spray bottle so I have to approximate the concentration. Did yours come as a regular bottle with a suggested mix ratio?

For fungus problems I use just straight sulfur and it works wonders. When it comes to pests though I use Neem Oil. Boy does that stuff work! Apply it for a week or so and your plants will look shiny and new with no signs of pest damage.

-J.P.

Good call J.P. I'll definitely have to pick both of these up. I forgot how effective Neem Oil is. How much of Neem Oil and Sulfur do you use?

ive got an extra can of the aerosol orthenex. Let me know Daniel.

Thanks Kristoff, but I was able to still buy that stuff for some reason. I was looking more for the concentrate. How's the greenhouse production coming along?

Is orthenex the same as orthene? I bought a bottle of orthene years ago.

I think the two are slightly different, with the former being more effective/carcinogenic. haha.. i'm not totally sure, so don't quote me. :)

Hey Jason,
Thanks for the heads up. Now that you mention it, I believe this is the same stuff I bought. The thing that sucks is that it comes in a hose attachment spray bottle so I have to approximate the concentration. Did yours come as a regular bottle with a suggested mix ratio?

Mine is for roses, flowers, and shrubs. Just point and shoot, nothin' to it.

Jason

Back