What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ampullaria trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green, Spotted, Tricolor . Will trade for a giant form of Cephalotus and to one day in the next few years to have a cutting back from all three.

Thanks and all the best

Yoav

doesnt seem like much of a trade if your asking for a plant then wanting to receive a part of the plant back.....those 3 amps are rather cheap and easy to come by, giant clones of ceph on the other hand are not....many people are generous enough to send cuttings out after the plant is established.....maybe if it were something a little cheaper than those plants, but i have seen all 3 of those for less than 15-20$ and giant clones of ceph upwards of 300+ $

I think phytosanitary certificates are necessary too.

Yoav,
I recommend that you add your location to trading posts so interested folks will realize what they may be getting into - since much (if not all) of the risk of substantial penalties is borne by the recipient - as was noted in your prior post to try & trade these plants.

Well the tricolor i bought in much more a few years ago. Any way im not really in the Cp thing any more. I now grow Succulent Asclepiads so not aware about the prices any more. I want to stop grow them becaus today i dont have much room and resources for them in a few years any way i will probably have a better arangement thats whay i thought if any one takes them he could send me a cutting in a few years if i ask.
Most people outside this forum dont mind about the phytosanitary certificates so i try and if any one will not mind we will trade.
Sirkristoff mybe you should try to be nicer. You can see i registeresd to this forums much before you even knew any thing about Cps.

All the best

Yoav

Most people outside this forum dont mind about the phytosanitary certificates so i try and if any one will not mind we will trade.
While this may indeed be true, I have vivid memories of one of our own having to fork out some major funds due to a mistake in communication. While this was explained on the listserver iirc, Joe also shared some of the experience over in this post. Here's the pertinent part:
As many of you know, I ate a $2500 fine from the USDA two years ago for importing some plants(which had bugs and were destroyed). The exporter did not wait for my permit and mailed them as "Children's Toys". But according to the USDA, I was at fault for ordering them in the first place. I talked to my lawyer, and he said that by the time anyone did the research to be ready for this case, it would be already that amount in legal fees. I could have defended myself, and possibly won, but if the Judge was humourless(as yours seems to be) and did not believe me, the fine could be up to $10,000!!! I decided to cut my losses, which may not be what some others would do.
Importing plants without a permit is like playing Russian Roulette, you never know when your shipment will be the one they open ..... :poke: :0o:

Ron Thanks i understand . Here they are much more forgiving they will let you know and give you an opertunity to mail it back to the sender.

All the best

Yoav

YtK that was a bit uncalled for
i was not trying to come off as rude, and before i knew anything about CPs? i think thats a bit rediculous considering most everyone knows about CPs by the time they are like...what 3? i mean damn.
my brother grew sarracenia for 20 someodd years and i grew up around em, i suggest you dont make assumptions of people you dont know, k thanks.

Requesting that you be nicer is not "uncalled for". I second the request.

YtK that was a bit uncalled for
i was not trying to come off as rude, and before i knew anything about CPs? i think thats a bit rediculous considering most everyone knows about CPs by the time they are like...what 3? i mean damn.
my brother grew sarracenia for 20 someodd years and i grew up around em, i suggest you dont make assumptions of people you dont know, k thanks.

Sirkristoff mybe you should try to be nicer. You can see i registeresd to this forums much before you even knew any thing about Cps.
Yoav

CP-Connection
this quote is completely irrelevant to anything involving the trade or what i said, and is entirely uncalled for, read his statements a little more thoroughly and maybe youll understand what i was saying.

That is one of those statements that a child would use, "You can see i registeresd (you spelled that wrong there buddy) to this (it would be these) much before you even knew any thing about Cps. (Before you knew anything about CPs would have also worked better). If one person is going to be a child, I might as well stoop to that level, lol.
As so many of you said, Even if your an adult, you dont ever have to stop acting like a child.
BwAhHAhaHAHah

I do not believe SK was being rude at all. He was just trying to point out some possible problems that may occur with a trade like this. Also he is right, a "giant" Ceph cultivar is very pricey as compared to all those amps combined. I did not see him being rude at all, but some people get easily offended these days.

Ill be the first to say im sorry if i sounded rude in any way, i, as macamus just pointed out, was just trying to point out that many people might not view it as a fair trade.
macamus that sang you sent me awhile ago is doing great :) thanks alot

ok, but we seriously have to make like, a "rules of engagement" thread about the right way to argue. Im sick and tired of the "oh, you spelled ____ wrong so that means your dumber than me hehe!" attacks.

Y'all be cool (headed),
Frankie

Well I will make a few points.

YtK,

We do not condone cross borders exchange without the proper permits. If it is something you want to work out via emails/PMs we can not stop that. But we cannot allow open discussions. Otherwise we are liable.

SK,

To me, your first post may not have been rude (however I do think it could have been approached/worded better) but your latter posts were. It is obvious that this person speaks English as a second language and yet you had to go and point out his spelling and grammar mistakes. You are being condescending and then justifying it with "if he is acting like a child then I get to act like a child." By that logic everyone on this forum ought to be acting like toddlers... So I for one do think an apology is in order. Not for your first post but indeed for the latter ones.

Also, just an FYI to all parties, the true 'Tricolor' cultivar of amp (re-named cv. 'Harlequin'), like the 'Cantley's Red' cultivar, sells for around a hundred dollars these days, not $15-20. And likewise, I can get a Giant Ceph for ~$30. So either way you look at it it seems a fair trade to me.

Remember that eBay is not the end all be all in pricing. I can get a N. hamata for $40 despite the fact that one recently sold on eBay for close to $800.

Last edited:
I once saw a post on craigslist for "vintage garden tractor, new paint - $2200". It was basically a 30 y/o riding lawnmower. I laughed until I cried, then spent the next week haggling with the guy. Except I was haggling in reverse. "I like UR tractor would you take $2500". "If it has fresh paint I'll give you $2700". Putting down other people makes me feel good!

Some people don't know what their junk is worth, and some people post wild offers to start the bargaining process. If you see an unfair trade offer, its rude to elucidate in great detail the extent of its worthlessness. But you knew that before you posted SK. And if you didn't then you definitely knew that after you hurt whats his faces feelings.

My best advice is take it to craigslist! One of my favorite things is creating sarcastic posts making fun of people who are looking for a handout. "Shredded paper many beutiful colors. Will trade for RV in good conditiun. God bless" You have to add god bless at the end so it won't get deleted!

Pyro- only till recently have I spoken english as a primary language. So again, I ask that people don't make basic assumptions. I was not trying to be rude with that post, but when you use a cellphone for most of your typing, its a little more difficult to get points across or anything else like that. It is a very valid point that many of the giant cephs available are worth way more than any of the amps offered. Just because you can get a giant clone for 30 or 40 you have to remember a majority of us cannot.

Frankie- the spelling thing was meant to bring that up, the whole smarter than you thing.
When he said, I registered here long before you even knew what cps were, well damn dude, isn't that basically the same thing?

Pyro- only till recently have I spoken english as a primary language.

Kris, that has nothing to do with my comment. The point I was making was that, YtK speaks English as a second language. And as such his mastery of it is not as adept as yours might be. So going out of your way to point out the spelling and grammar mistakes of someone who does not speak English as their primary language is, at the least, infantile and more than a little vindictive.

So again, I ask that people don't make basic assumptions.

I fail to see how I made any basic assumptions. It is right there plain as day. You purposefully pointed out his spelling and grammar mistakes and you did it to try and put him down. You just tried to justify it with the whole "well he is being mean so I get to be mean" argument. Again I say it, by that logic everyone on this forum ought to be acting like toddlers...

I was not trying to be rude with that post,

That is debatable. I think that fact that 2 people have called you out on it would indicate it was rude.

but when you use a cellphone for most of your typing, its a little more difficult to get points across or anything else like that.

One would think that if you are using your cellphone to make posts then you would not want to waste your time/give yourself carpal tunnel correcting the spelling and grammar of someone who does not speak English as their primary language. That you took the extra time to do that, on a cell phone no less, further supports my contention that it was out of line.

It is a very valid point that many of the giant cephs available are worth way more than any of the amps offered.

No it is not a valid point. A giant Ceph is a giant Ceph. Does the fact that I got my Hummer's Giant for free from a friend make it worth less than a Hummer's Giant that sells for $300 on eBay?? It is still the same plant.

But if we must break it down to math... 3 amps @ $15-20 each is $45-60 vs. a giant Ceph @ ~$30. So the person who gets the Neps comes out ahead.

Or 3 large amps (making an assumption but if he has been growing a long time then his plants are probably bigger than the 3" things that sell for $15-20) one of which may well be a unique cultivar worth at least $100 by itself vs. a giant Ceph @ $200 (yeah I am a little under your suggested price but I personally have yet to see a $300 giant Ceph). So the person who gets the Ceph may come out a bit ahead. But then 3 plants for 1 is not that bad even if you "eat" it a little on "market value"

Just because you can get a giant clone for 30 or 40 you have to remember a majority of us cannot.

When I said "I can get a giant Ceph for ~$30" it has nothing to do with who I specifically am. You could get one for ~$30 too and so could Joe Blow on the street if he were so inclined. The vast majority of people could indeed get a giant Ceph for ~$30 if they just took the time to find out who sells them for that. It is not all that difficult. Heck, on this forum alone I can think of 4 people off the top of my head who would likely sell a Hummer's Giant for far less than $300.

When I was editing his spelling, I was on my house computer, I said I do a lot of this on my phone, never did I say I did that post on my phone or any of the others, your assuming again. If cp and ytk wouldn't have said I was being rude in that first post, and in the way they seemed to have meant it, this wouldn't be here. I have no idea how large the amps are, and I was under the impression that he was trading a single plant. Not all of them.
I think I'm going to take the clint route and leave this forum for awhile, just lurk. Since it seems I'm suddenly under attack for saying it sounded like a blasted unfair trade. As far as I'm concerned, for 16 years of my life, up until now, 18, english has been a second language.just because I corrected him, doesn't make me a bad person. After what he said, I'm surprised that's all I said.

When I was editing his spelling, I was on my house computer, I said I do a lot of this on my phone, never did I say I did that post on my phone or any of the others, your assuming again.

The way you worded it sure made it sound like you meant you did it on your phone. My mistake.

If cp and ytk wouldn't have said I was being rude in that first post, and in it seemed to take, this wouldn't be here.

As may be, but if YtK felt offended by what you said he has a right to say that and had you apologized for it rather than arguing and resorting to the "he is childish so I'm going to be childish" attitude then this would not be here either...

I have no idea how large the amps are, and I was under the impression that he was trading a single plant. Not all of them.

And yet you criticize others for making assumptions??

I think I'm going to take the clint route and leave this forum for awhile, just lurk.

Clint is taking time off from forum because he is at school...

Since it seems I'm suddenly under attack for saying it sounded like a blasted unfair trade.

No you are being "attacked" because you said:

Ill be the first to say im sorry if i sounded rude in any way

And yet when people pointed out that what you said was rude you chose to defend it rather than apologize. Had you apologized you would not have heard a further peep from me.

And if it sounds like it is not a fair trade then you are under no obligation to make the trade. But others are free to form their own opinions... There are plenty of plants I do not like and when I see them offered in the trade forum I do not go out and make posts about how lame the plants are... I just ignore the post. It is really rather easy to do.

As far as I'm concerned, for 16 years of my life, up until now, 18, english has been a second language.

And just because you speak English well as a second language then everyone in the world ought to speak it as well as you? What was that someone said about making basic assumptions??

just because I corrected him, doesn't make me a bad person.

It is the intent behind the correction and the manner in which you corrected him that is the issue at hand. It was childish, and you admitted it was childish but for some reason you think it is still okay.

After what he said, I'm surprised that's all I said.

Well I guess we should thank you for holding your tongue...

I didn't assume anything about the plants, I said I know nothing about them. I never said I doubt someone is going to trade x plant for such a small y plant or anything along those lines, nor did I say that just because its my second language and I speak it and spell it decently, that everyone else had to as well that uses it as a second language.
Evidently you don't recall the incident with clint and jayjay some time ago, where clint was rather harshly attacked and said he was leaving the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back