What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

looking for very cold hardy cacti....

specifically:
Echinocereus coccineus
Echinocereus reichenbachii v. albispinus
Escobaria leei
Escobaria missouriensis
Mamillaria meiacantha
Pediocactus simpsoni v. minor

though if yah have something else that is hardy to zone 3 or 4 i would entertain it....

i have access to Escobaria (Coryphantha) vivipara for trade....also have other hardy perennials, prolly one of the more interesting natives is the Prairie spiderwort(Tradescantia bracteata) which is nearly as nice as any cultivated Tradescantia variety.....i could also work on rooting some weeping mulberries.....anyways if yah have any of the real hardy cacti contact me with what yah got and i can put together a more complete list of what i have.....may have some CP's to trade aswell if yah have some interesting stuff....

also interested in hardy irises for the same zone 3 or 4........i prefer blues and purples but will consider most any

I do not have any of the ones you list but I do have a number of nice Opuntia types including an upright Cholla type that you may be interested in.
Phil1

what species? heck even pics will work if yah dont know......not interested in Opuntia's that look like the 3 or 4 forms we have here.....

this is our fragilis
IMG_0451.jpg

forget what species this is off the top of my head but it comes in lightly spined:
IMG_0455.jpg

and a variety with much longer and many more spines.....the 4th variety i believe i keep finding is just a young form of these two but im not sure......its about the size of the fragilis i find but the pads look more like the others....

I've got something that I think might be hardy but I'm not sure. I'll get you a pic tomorrow.

EDIT: Whoops... didn't check the Opuntia - that's what I have sorry!

Mine are alot larger pads and one has exceptionally tasty fruit in September. Small spines big spines. One is a taller grower like a cholla 2-3 feet. For the species you are looking for Mesa garden, Belen NM has them. I am not sure they are that hardy you could try as they are really cool ones.
Phil 1

actually i would be interested in the fruiting one as the Opuntia's we have here dont produce much of any fruit....the cholla sounds interesting aswell

the cholla sounds interesting aswell

Yes, cholla are very interesting... if your definition of interesting is a plant that leave half of its mass imbedded in your flesh if you so much as brush it with a feather...

i can plant it in the alley for the neighbor kids to deal with :D

Where do you live rattler. I have access to many Cactus in the vicinity of my house. I grow Pediocactus simpsonii in my front yard.

northeast corner of Montana......roughly 50 miles from the Canadian border and 75 miles to the North Dakota border.....

Back