What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any Ladies out there (Nep pollen available)

• Thread starter CN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pollen

CN

BANNED

This would go best on the trading forum, but congratulations. :)

Not to be a bubble-burster but AFAIK N. Miranda hybrid is sterile. I tried making several hybrids with it (N. Miranda x N. fusca and N. Miranda x N. aristolochoides x thorelii) and none took (they did make seed but it was all sterile) but perhaps you will be lucky?

You don't have to believe me, just do your crosses and see what happens.
I sent seed to numerous people on here nobody had reported any germination, maybe they all lied? :(

I'm not going to argue what someone else may or may not have done - I can only relate my personal experiences using N. Miranda pollen cut fresh from the live plant deposited on a newly opened ovary (or rather numerous ovaries) on those other plants. I had zero success from either crossing. Both crossings made seed, lots! but none sprouted for me or anyone who got any. I would have bought a seedling of it had anyone had success with them.

I made a post way back then called "My first hybrid N. Dominus!" (or something like that) and people told me the same thing I'm telling you that their N. Miranda hybrid attempts didn't work either. But if one guy was successful perhaps you will be too, give it a try and see what happens, it won't hurt to try.

Could be a genetically different northiana x maxima. I don't know how many are floating around out there.

I recently tried to cross miranda onto gracilis but all the pods I applied miranda pollen to stayed undeveloped while the others grew normally.

Still it's difficult to say if your plant is fertile or not without crossing it onto something first.

Mine had come from my aunts job (Bachmann's Floral) back in 2003 or so. They get the hanging baskets of garden center Nepenthes in several times a year: Miranda, "Alata" (ventrata), Gentle and Velvet.

i wish my garden center had gentle and velvet. i want one!

I've sent mine out to a couple people over the years (basically constantly in flower, I have 5 stalks on my Miranda plants right now in fact). But I don't bother with it anymore after all those tries and never any seed production. You may find someone who has nothing else to cross with (that's where my pollen always went) but don't count on seed as previously stated... Good luck! (and feel free to run some searches on the subject :) )

Andrew

Oh and moved

then How did Sam O Estes Jr.( Leilani) make his N. Miranda hybrids ?

there is more than one clone of miranda, they are just on the rare side compared to the common one most of us....

Has this thread been edited? I did not even notice when Miranda was mentioned initially.
Bob Z's photo site has two Miranda hybrids, one with lowii and one with talangensis. Both photos are by Hans Bruer-maybe he has the fertile one?
I thought I had seen more hybrids with Miranda mentioned.

Cheers,

Joe

Back