What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.filliformis filliformis 'Florida Red'

I have plants and seed available to trade. Let me know if you're interested.

I have plants and seed available to trade. Let me know if you're interested.

Hi, dear friend.

I have seeds of D. capillaris and D. intermedia available, and in some weeks
I'll have D. burmannii and U. subulata. If you are interested in any of them
we can trade.

Hugs

Marcos

Hey Manny, Let me know if you see anything you like on my growlist. I'm interested in some plants.

It's not D. filiformis ssp filiformis, since that would make it the hardy variety found growing in Canada. The 'Florida All-Red' variety doesn't need dormancy, thus it's ranking would be different.

Is it Florida All-Red or Florida Red? There's a difference, if I understand...

I have no idea what they call it. I thought it was classified as filliformis filliformis. It does go dormant...whether it needs to or not.

The Florida all red variety doesn't go dormant, Manny. It could be kept growing constantly just like a tropical plant.

Well that isn't what I have then. Mine absolutely goes dormant in winter and is kept outside in our mild temps.

Does anyone know where I can get the "All Red" form that doesn't go dormant?

I think there might be some confusion here. "Florida all red" doesn't have to go dormant, but when given a winter photo period, it will. At least that's my understanding of this form.

For example, you could grow it in a terrarium or other controlled environment and it would be just fine with a summer photo period all year long.

Yes, Jeremy's interpretation is correct. I have grown my D. filiormis "Florida All-Red" plants from seed (I think from you Jeremy?) and they have grown indoors without dormancy for about 2 years now. They show no sign of slowing down after all this time. They're a great sundew for sure!

manny, i may or may not have some viable seeds once the flowers ripen on this plant (flowers not shown):

Thanks CPlantaholic, but the plant in your pic looks a lot like what I have. Does anyone have a pic of the Florida filliformis filliformis?

Does anyone know where I can get the "All Red" form that doesn't go dormant?

I believe the ICPS Seed Back has "Florida All Red" seeds. I got mine off a random ebay auction.

Yes, they look very similar, except this one does not go dormant at all if you keep it wet, warm, and give it a long enough photoperiod. I also got my seeds from ebay. As I said- this is an old pic but the pictured plant has been growing for 2 years without dormancy. It's possible that you have D. filiformis "Florida All-Red", but if the soil gets dry at some point or you have too little of a photoperiod, this could trigger dormancy.

Back