What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volunteer wanted - Sarr. seed harvest

***** Closed *****
Many thanks to all those who offered to help with my seed harvest!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've come to realize that I do not have enough spare time this year to harvest & package my Sarracenia seed. I'm looking for a detail-oriented volunteer to:

- harvest Sarracenia seed from seedpods (~100-110)
- fabricate envelopes in which the seed will be stored - like these
- label seed envelopes
- package seed
- send harvested, packaged seed back to me

As payment for doing this, I suggest that the volunteer will be able to keep ~30 seeds from each cross (as long as the seedpod yielded more than 100 seeds)(honor system)

If interested, please send an email to:

Emailaddressasimage.jpg

with the following:
- name
- forum name

Other:
- This would seem to be a good opportunity for someone to add some interesting Sarracenia varieties to their collection (see my growlist)
- fwiw - guesstimate would have 70% species pods & 30% crosses (crosses usually geared toward color)
- USA only (sorry)
- please ask any questions either here in the thread or via email (not PM's as they are a pain when box fills)
- should the seed show up on eBay, no need for volunteer to respond to any future offers :nono:

- Thanks for playing :bigthumpup:

There be mail in that thar mailbox.

I am doing this for Pyro (105 packs so far and more to do) be ready for some work! I already have some 3 hours or so into counting seeds out and making seed envelopes... And that's not including the whole giveaway part of it, ...and my seeds were pretty clean already from the seed pods! I'm doing ~50 seeds per pack, Travis said there were 50 seed heads. Just making sure everyone understands, this isn't a 20 min project!
Andrew

much patience needed I see. I believe it too. Hey how do you make these seed envelopes you 2 have referred to?

I am doing this for Pyro (105 packs so far and more to do) be ready for some work! I already have some 3 hours or so into counting seeds out and making seed envelopes... And that's not including the whole giveaway part of it, ...and my seeds were pretty clean already from the seed pods! I'm doing ~50 seeds per pack, Travis said there were 50 seed heads. Just making sure everyone understands, this isn't a 20 min project!
Andrew
Actually, if I'm chosen, I may have a secret weapon...

I used to be into amateur fireworks making, and from those days I still have my triple-beam balance scale that is sensitive to the tenth of a gram. I would definitely test that out to see if it's accurate enough to get me within acceptable standards (i.e. count 50, weigh them, remove that sample and add enough seeds to exactly equal the previous weight, see how close to 50 I am). Of course, to achieve that sort of accuracy requires that the seeds be cleaned as well, which is quite time consuming as well.

We have scales like that at work. We can count to the nearest mustard seed-sized washer.

We have scales like that at work. We can count to the nearest mustard seed-sized washer.

I've been meaning to get a digital scale for quite some time, and the prices have come down. Hmmm... Well, if it happens, it happens. :)

They are awesome! If it's so sensitive that it comes with a lid, use it! The scale can pick up air currents, and can actually change the count. At work, it could vary by up to 10 pcs. with the lid off.

They are awesome! If it's so sensitive that it comes with a lid, use it! The scale can pick up air currents, and can actually change the count. At work, it could vary by up to 10 pcs. with the lid off.

Yeah, I used them in college a lot, and at work. The nice ones with the little sliding door and all that. Nice stuff. :)

Andrew
Just to clarify, this project involves no seed counting (at least not yet). I only want them harvested, labeled, packaged & returned - much simpler (relatively) than the process Andrew mentions. I will likely have another post in the future for part 2 (packetizing the seed). I figured things would get too complicated to try & do it all in one swoop... :0o:
Hey how do you make these seed envelopes you 2 have referred to?
There is a hyperlink in my original post on making the envelopes. The ones Andrew mentioned are smaller wax paper seed packets - whose construction is explained on the ICPS seedbank site.

Many people have asked how much time they have to complete the job. My hope is that the job could be completed in about 2 weeks or so. if that's not a reasonable expectation, we can change it... However, I would not want to be negotiating a completion date of Jan 1 :0o:

Many people have asked how much time they have to complete the job. My hope is that the job could be completed in about 2 weeks or so. if that's not a reasonable expectation, we can change it... However, I would not want to be negotiating a completion date of Jan 1 :0o:

Well, I am a bit of an insomniac, sooooo... ;)

Many thanks to all who offered to help with my seed harvest. :hail:
A volunteer has been selected.

Congratulations to the lucky guy or gal. :)

Back