What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need: D. rotundifolia from specific locations; P. lutea (any location)

D, rotundifolia: seeds, or several plants-DO NOT NEED ANYMORE ROTUNDIFOLIA AT THIS TIME! :-D

California populations, New Jersey pine barren, southern states, or "Charles Darwin"

P. lutea

from anywhere

I have a Pinguicula Lutea, but I need to reproduce it (I only have one)

I know a place where you can get seeds or a full-grown plant if you're interested.

Thanks wolfin. Is it a store??? I'd rather not go there right now. If its for trade, sure!

COME ON GUYS. Somebody's gotta have these!

I'm not so sure about the availability of P. lutea... They are supposedly quite difficult to cultivate. However, I think you could find the rotundifolia. Try searching the ICPS seedbank, or ask Adnedarn.

If you're really in a bind, maybe ask Barry Rice where you can get some (he maintains an FAQ). (Not so sure about asking seed from Barry Rice himself however...)

EDIT: About P. lutea, I saw one for sale online at ____.

Alaskan rotundifolias?

Yes, I have Alaskan ones. They probably won't do me any good though. Right now, they are green. Do they get red?

I have contacted Barry--photography only

I have contacted the ICPS seed bank--none availiable

I have contacted Not a Number--SASE offered

I have contacted Sundewman--hasn't responded

I have contacted Peter at CA carnivores--too expensive

I have contacted Elgeko--checked all over ICPS seed bank (however you spell it)

I have contacted many others also!

Receiving 1 plant and a pack of seeds so far. Maybe some more plants later? Negotiations are in progress.

Could someone tell me Ivan Snyder's email or whatever. I need to contact him next. Mybe he will have some of his own hybrid that he is willing to send me (for something of course).

No one has any Idea about the California one. I can't get replies from those that have "Charles Darwin" I CAN'T get rotundifolia from other warm states because no one is offering me anything!

THIS is absolutely crazy. You would think I was trying to find the rarest species on planet earth, when in fact rotundifolia is everywhere (for a cp that is) I think it all comes from my being so specific. WELL, I'VE BROADENED MY SIGHTS NOW. I don't need rotundifolia from California. I just need some from warm states (like southern california) or "Charles Darwin"

Hopefully I get them soon, my bog won't wait forever.

I don't want to buy p. lutea--yet.

Last edited:
Ouch.....

You need to learn a little patience. Annoying people left and right isn't going to get you very far.

The LACPS meets every other month and then next meeting is in February. In my post on your other thread I said I won't know if I have any extras for at least three months. There are still 2 weeks to go for stratification of the seeds I am attempting to germinate.

Let see, I got your email Sunday night when I checked the mailbox you sent the mail to. Tuesday afternoon is too long for you. I've been editing videos the past three days as well as working on my year-end accounting. As it turns out I have some extra Big Lagoon Humbolt County seed that I was going to offer you for an SASE but since you opened your mouth and inserted your foot I'll have to think about it.

i do have a couple rotundifolia x intermedia from leaf pulls just before , dormancy form a local biological research station in va. , purchased them thinking the seller said just rotundifolia , but on the recipt he wrote the name as stated here rotundifolia x intermedia . so not entirely sure what i have . PM me if interested

@ ieat100s: at least my (what would you call it) outburst is getting results. Seriously, I have gotten more VISIBLE results from this thread than from all my chatting with people.

@ NaN, (I knew I should have pm'd you) yes I do, but my bog is READY! I've gotten everything needed for it (through lots of hard work and negotiations, not to mention the generosity of some members. Cp-connection sent me some seeds of the weed (u. subulata) that i'm about to put in my bog for free, and many members have traded with me, like Fred, who has supplied me with over 6 lecophylla plants that are genetically different, three of which are in my bog. As you can imagine, I am very frustrated at this little rotundifolia thing. Much of my energy has been devoted to building my bog quickly and securely. Please allow me to add you to this list.
I didn't read your post well enough, I apologize :blush:. I didn't know it said that in three months you would know if you had seeds. I humbly ask that you reconsider.
Still, all I was doing last post was stating the facts.

@Jimmy: thank you, but I am not interested in a rotundifolia hybrid of that sort...maybe I am. Not sure. I will have to see what comes up. Thanks for your offer, I will get back to you.

Guys, here are some pictures to convince you of my sincerity:

DSCN0065.JPG

DSCN0070.JPG

DSCN0069.JPG

DSCN0068.JPG

P.S. See, it IS on wheels!

I collected a little bit of seed of D. rotundifolia during my trip to a Darlingtonia habitat in Northern California back in 2007. I can give you one of my dormant plants (I only have 3 available) if you want it. —As Californian native as it gets.
Will you be at the BACPS meet-up this Saturday Jan. 9th at UC Berkley Botanical Gardens? I could trade it there? Or I could put it in zip-lock back and send it in a little cushioned box through the mail. PM if interested.

-Jack

Epic. Well, I do believe I have seen some pretty reddish dews round here. They would probably be considered quite temperate, who knows though they might be able to adjust. From my experience D. rotundifolia will prefer a pure bed of live sphagnum moss.

Thank you guys.

@Dexenthes

I have some d. rotundifolia seedlings sprouting right now. They are the Alaskan variety (as hinted at). Will d. rotundifolia grow in something other than pure sphagnum? I'm thinking of puting a layer of pure peat where they're 'sposed to grow.

The reason I ask about the color is that my seedlings are green right now, even though the're under strong florescent.

Ok, well I am currenty still looking for rotundifolia, but 2 offers have come up. One of them is red flytrap's.

I had one growing in water, floating on top.

My bog is definately not that wet...I hope d. rotundifolia like it drier than d. intermedia!

They will probably grow. I can't say for sure though, haven't tried moving them out of their natural substrate to be honest. I do know that the ones around here like it very very wet. It's likely too that seedlings simply wont be very red, it might take all Summer, or possibly one or two seasons before the plants are large enough and mature enough to begin coloring up. It does seem like the intermedia around here prefer it more wet than the rotunds but probably not by much. I've seen many rotundifolias growing completely submerged in water before, so definitely very wet will be best.

I might be stuck with tyacyi and capillaris them. I really would like d. rotundifolia--I think.

If you slope the level of the soil in the bog so that one side is wetter than the other, you could keep the soggier plants on that end. Then you could also put in Saracenia psittacina, Drosera intermedia, and maybe some soggy Utricularias.

Ok, I'll have to do that. Does anyone have some intermedia from the warmer states? I have a seedling from Canada! I don't know how I wind up with cold things!

Back