What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

peter d amato

uphwiz

jimmy
any one have n.peter d amato up for trade ,or??
I'm looking for one of my own, have only seen a few , and am very interested.
Are they hard to cultivate, anyone????
Thanks in advance !

i see lots of views, no one knows where to find this elusive nep. hu ? thats what i thought. its not out there is it ,
even the even the names after doesnt have it ? at least for trade of sale .

its a cultivar that is a result of a cross between ventricosa and lowii......being seed grown all plants in cultivation originate from a single plant so the only way to get it is through cuttings.....given there is a huge demand for it and only so many cuttings taken by various ppl a year demand is likely to always exceed supply.....its not like its in TC or anything where they can make thousands of plants if they wish....

thanks for the info rattler , . seed ventricosa and lowii . think there are others out there that look similar?

yeah there are several different clones floating around i think i know of atleast 4 or 5, 'Peter D'amota' is just the most red of the bunch......saw a rather large plant of one of the other clones on ebay within the last 6 months so they are out there....the shape of the pitchers is reall close to the same on all, just have varying amounts of red.....

there is a cool photoshopped one on the cp fhotofinder of a guy about to fall into one, looks pretty good , but the plant tag in the back gives it away .checkit out

its a pretty expensive plant too. mine cost me a fortune =[ but its very rewarding if you are willing to drop a portion of a paycheck. easy plant, mine grows as a windowsill plant with fluorescent lighting. the plant is just beautiful too deep red pitchers in really strong light.

plants from the same cross are pretty similar in shape, but like rattler said, 'PDA' is just more red in color.

good luck in your search! youll find one eventually!
Alex

Part of the problem - as Peter D'Amato tells me (the person, not the plant) is that it puts out basals very slowly. Internodal distances in the vine are also very very small and the plant will grow leggy and spindly without developing any side shoots. If the growing tip is cut off, chances are the rest of the vine will simply wither and die. Those are some of the reasons given for the slow propagation of Peter D'Amato (the plant, not the person). Yet another reason for the high prices maybe that this plant is also a female.

Yet another reason for the high prices maybe that this plant is also a female.
forgot about that. haha. thats a plausible reason too.

Alex

glider , you got any pics of yours like to see it , if you can?

My experience is that some of the other clones are more vigorous - I grow a male clone that is supposed to be a sibling of 'Peter D'Amato' that is considerably more vigorous and bigger than my 'Peter D'Amato'. So look for any N. ventricosa x lowii or N. lowii x ventricosa if you can find 'em. It's a great hybrid!

My experience is that some of the other clones are more vigorous - I grow a male clone that is supposed to be a sibling of 'Peter D'Amato' that is considerably more vigorous and bigger than my 'Peter D'Amato'. So look for any N. ventricosa x lowii or N. lowii x ventricosa if you can find 'em. It's a great hybrid!

I remember you bringing a cutting of that plant to one of the meetings and putting it in the raffle. I wanted to get my hands on it, but someone got it first. I do remember you saying that it was the brother of Peter D'Amato. If you ever bring another piece of it, I'd love to give it a shot one day. (hopefully in the auction rather than the raffle) :)

I got that plant originally as a tiny pitcherless unrooted cutting at my first BACPS meeting. In the raffle! :) I'll save a cutting for you next time I take one, Brokken.

glider , you got any pics of yours like to see it , if you can?
ill PM you them. im about to post a video of my indoor plants so you can see it on there too. no pitchers on it now though.

Alex

Part of the problem - as Peter D'Amato tells me (the person, not the plant) is that it puts out basals very slowly.

I completely disagree. Once the plant grows large enough...and under very good cultural conditions you can usually expect to see basals on an annual basis. My largest plant produces at least 4 huge basals every year and has done so without fail for the last 10 years. It is my most vigorous growing nep.

I completely disagree. Once the plant grows large enough...and under very good cultural conditions you can usually expect to see basals on an annual basis. My largest plant produces at least 4 huge basals every year and has done so without fail for the last 10 years. It is my most vigorous growing nep.

Hi Phil,

I'm just going by what I was told. I only JUST started growing the plant, so I can't speak from personal experience. Merely conveying what I was told at the nursery.

capsloc ,:poke: how about me im also looking for a clone of any of this cross as well. This post i started has me thinking i probably wont have the chance at the peter d amato , so if you ever have any pieces of yours for trade , id also like a shot at it . thanks for the info .
Be well and think happy happy thoughts !:-D

Darn, misinformed again I was told it was burbridgiae X lowii

Back