What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"SASE"-D. capensis 'Albino'

I'm glad I found this thread! I don't have any D. capensis and I can't wait to try growing them. Hopefully I have better luck than with my D. adelae.

Thanks!

1 Raven01000
2 Narnar
3 kgrudz
4 Ngantnier
5 Pandora
6 Phil1
7 Zero
8 Jag
9 Vbkid
10 Zhilin
11 Maxx
12 Maxx
13 Massmorels
14 Alex2751
15 ShaneC
16 ShaneC
17 SGcvn69
18 SGcvn69
19 TENroaches

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't you have just opened up that envelope with the extra seeds, taken out your seeds, pull out a blank envelope of your own and jot down his address and your own, put inside 800 of those seeds (what he ''paid'' you for), and used up 1 of the 5 stamps he sent you as his part of the ''trade'' to pay the postage for that new envelope?

You didn't have to send it out with 1000 seeds, could've just as easily done this. But that's really generous that you mailed it out anyway! :-O :)

NO I COULD NOT HAVE DONE THAT! I rode my bike there with a jar full of seed packs, paper towel, and tape. I don't come with x-tra envelopes...or even a pen. I may have to reconsider, however. I wasn't going to make three more trips to and from the post office to fix it.

Anyway, this Travis is being nice and sending me another stamp...even though I didn't ask him to do that.

The whole experience was just a little weird...Imagine...put yourself in my shoes. I open a tiny envelope and see 10 packs worth of stamps. I really had trouble fitting all the packs in the envelope! My thinking is: "hey, he sent that many stamps, he must want that many seed packs!, I mean I clearly explained everything."

Thanks for the advice, anyway. It all worked out.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

TENroaches,

You're not the only one who has had trouble with that sundew :-O

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

WAIT A SECOND! I've forgotten how many seeds there are in a packet! There are supposed to be 50+ seeds in each packet. Often there are many more than that. BUT, I sent him 500+ seeds, not 1,000 (although there may have been that many). He would have gotten 400+ otherwise.

Sorry guys, my mistake.

Hi, SDCPs,

I sent my mail today. Since I also live in San Diego, I guess you may receive mine on Friday. Thanks.

Zhilin

Got em'! Lost a bunch of seeds to all the tape.. but I think it is pretty even after the stamp incident.

Noticed mine germinated yesterday :) Thanks again SDCPS!

Got em'! Lost a bunch of seeds to all the tape.. but I think it is pretty even after the stamp incident.

If you were careful you should have over 90% of the seed. Besides. If you place the tape and seeds in some water...don't the seeds come free? I am sorry about that, however.

Noticed mine germinated yesterday :) Thanks again SDCPS!

That is very nice of you Ngantnier to let me know!

List:

1 Raven01000
2 Narnar
3 kgrudz
4 Ngantnier
5 Pandora
6 Phil1
7 Zero
8 Jag
9 Vbkid
10 Zhilin
11 Maxx
12 Maxx
13 Massmorels
14 Alex2751
15 ShaneC
16 ShaneC
17 SGcvn69
18 SGcvn69
19 TENroaches

If you were careful you should have over 90% of the seed. Besides. If you place the tape and seeds in some water...don't the seeds come free? I am sorry about that, however.

I don't know. I think we pretty well covered that this was my first seed experience. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I'll still send out the reimbursement stamps tomorrow for you. A deals a deal..

Like I said, the reimbursement stamp(s) are completely your choice...not that I wouldn't mind having them :-O Only one thing I would like to point out. You keep saying you'll send them tomorrow! :-)) (in the pms and chat-box, not this thread) Please just do it if it suits your fancy. I don't really care when.

Like I said, the reimbursement stamp(s) are completely your choice...not that I wouldn't mind having them :-O Only one thing I would like to point out. You keep saying you'll send them tomorrow! :-)) (in the pms and chat-box, not this thread) Please just do it if it suits your fancy. I don't really care when.

done and done.. they are on their way.

Thanks!! Mail call!

List:

1 Raven01000
2 Narnar
3 kgrudz
4 Ngantnier
5 Pandora
6 Phil1
7 Zero
8 Jag
9 Vbkid
10 Zhilin
11 Maxx
12 Maxx
13 Massmorels
14 Alex2751
15 ShaneC
16 ShaneC
17 SGcvn69
18 SGcvn69
19 TENroaches
20 insecttrap

Looks like I might have had more than 46 packs of seed. I will update the list after all mail has come in.

Sent out 4 more today! Cheers!

WOOHOO! :D Can't wait!:boogie:

I have a feeling one of them was mine, too. :D I just have to figure out what I'm going to do for growing them. Might try to make do with a 4-lamp high output T5 setup with 5000k bulbs. 20,000 lumens. The light I have now is 6-lamp, 30,000 lumens, but I'm out of room under it, and the same size light can't fit on the shelf below....

I was also debating making some kind of cold frame/greenhouse type thing for growing them outside, but it'd probably either be too hot or too dry in it.

I'll figure something out!

Tim: I only grow my pings under a shop light with two T8 bulbs, a warm and cool 40w. But I guess if you want to grow them REALLY well you could give them more light! :) I had the same issue with the lights and space too. I just got rid of some plants LOL I have no where else to set up another light stand. A cold frame might work, but you'd have to remember to water it and keep a close eye on temps. :0o:

I have a feeling one of them was mine, too. :D I just have to figure out what I'm going to do for growing them. Might try to make do with a 4-lamp high output T5 setup with 5000k bulbs. 20,000 lumens. The light I have now is 6-lamp, 30,000 lumens, but I'm out of room under it, and the same size light can't fit on the shelf below....

I was also debating making some kind of cold frame/greenhouse type thing for growing them outside, but it'd probably either be too hot or too dry in it.

I'll figure something out!

Seeds that are just germinating don't like a lot of light. D. capensis 'Albino' can survive on your windowsill if it gets enough light...you could even germinate them there!

Yes, one of them was yours. :-D

List:

1 Raven01000
2 Narnar
3 kgrudz
4 Ngantnier
5 Pandora
6 Phil1
7 Zero
8 Jag
9 Vbkid
10 Zhilin
11 Maxx
12 Maxx
13 Massmorels
14 Alex2751
15 ShaneC
16 ShaneC
17 SGcvn69
18 SGcvn69
19 TENroaches
20 insecttrap
21 Remag

Seeds that are just germinating don't like a lot of light. D. capensis 'Albino' can survive on your windowsill if it gets enough light...you could even germinate them there!

Yes, one of them was yours. :-D

If they don't like a lot of light, do you think I'd just be able to put a shelf aboug 6-8" below my other one (under my six T5s) and that'd be enough light for them? I only have two south-facing windows, and one has a nep in it already. The other one is above a computer desk and would be hard to get to to spy on them. (These are glass block windows where I have to stand on stuff to get up to their height).

I was thinking of getting this, but it sounds like I may not have to. (Sorry if I already posted that link earlier; I am so tired.)

EDIT: Oh, and if they don't like a lot of light, does that mean I shouldn't have started my other sundews out under all those T5s for 16 hours a day? Heck. Now I'll never know if light killed them or the algae killed them. Either way, R.I.P. (Rest In Peat)

List:

1 Raven01000
2 Narnar
3 kgrudz
4 Ngantnier
5 Pandora
6 Phil1
7 Zero
8 Jag
9 Vbkid
10 Zhilin
11 Maxx
12 Maxx
13 Massmorels
14 Alex2751
15 ShaneC
16 ShaneC
17 SGcvn69
18 SGcvn69
19 TENroaches
20 insecttrap
21 Remag
22 wolfpack

Hey man, forget about buying the lights. I have found that one spiral 100 watt bulb (actually 26) keeps things growing in my prop chamber no problem. I just have aluminum foil over every big of it. I even have a flap of the stuff in front (which I change regularly as holes form in the sheet, but that's beside the point.) The most expensive part of growing cps IMHO should be your distiller or RO unit. I personally have a distiller...it cost $10 more than that light fixture...and it's made well over 800 gallons.

Sow them in a plastic bag. That way you don't need to keep them watered. Just put it on that windowsill, and wait for nature to take its course. IMHO (again) you should sow each pack in a separate pot...so you have better chances of getting results.

Well, algae can't really kill them once they've sprouted. But fungas gnats are your biggest enemy IMHO (AGAIN!) Seeds grown in bright light tend to develop slowly.

Back