What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trading: Cherimoya Seeds

Hello! I am new here and looking to add to my collection. Right now I only have a tiny sundew that my friend gave to me. I am looking to trade Cherimoya seeds for other seeds, seedlings, dirt, rocks, string, pretty much anything to get my started.

Description of Seeds for Trade:
These seeds are from the Cherimoya fruit. It is kinda of mushy or custardy in texture and tastes like a mix between banana, strawberry, pear, and something else. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherimoya. The seeds are fairly big, they are almost almond sized. The seeds are toxic in large quantities, so, don't eat them or feed them to your bird.

Cherimoya when ripe:
200px-Cherimoya_fruit_hg.jpg

Picture of my seeds:
5785ae24cf3842fe9d23fe6f22bf5366.jpg

Details of the Trade: I will trade 12 Cherimoya seeds for what you are offering. Offers can be posted in this thread or through PM. I will reply back to accept the trade. Since the seeds are larger and will require a padded envelope, I will ship them to you and include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope for you to return your trade.

I would prefer CP that can grow in dryer climates (Southern California), but anything is fine.

Heck with the seeds, send me the cherimoyas!

I still have trouble telling when they are just right. It seems that you have a 30-minute window, then it goes bad.

CDavis, I don't have many extras right now, mostly onesies and twosies, but this Saturday I can go digging around and see what I can find. I bet I can find at least some Drosera binata, spatulata, maybe a couple Mexican Pings and a baby Sarracenia. I have things spread soooo thin right now, and scattered to the four winds throughout the garden. :-D

I am new to this so I don't really know what those plants are beyond a google search. I will trade for just about anything.

As far as eating Cherimoya, it seemed to be ripe enough right from the grocery store. They go bad quickly so it's best to eat it soon.

They are easy, and pretty.

That's what most of my collection is-- pretty or interesting CP's.

What climate does the cherimoya need to grow? Can it tolerate freezing temps?

From Wiki

The tree thrives throughout the tropics at altitudes of 1,300 to 2,600 m (4,300 to 8,500 ft). Though sensitive to frost, it must have periods of cool temperatures or the tree will gradually go dormant. The indigenous inhabitants of the Andes say that although the cherimoya cannot stand snow, it does like to see it in the distance.[3] It is cultivated in many places throughout the Americas, including California, where it was introduced in 1871, and Hawaii. In the Mediterranean region, it is cultivated mainly in southern Spain, Madeira, Lebanon, Egypt and Israel. The first planting in Italy was in 1797 and it became a favored crop in the Province of Reggio Calabria. It is also grown in Taiwan and New Zealand.

Back