What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orange Porcellio scaber - for trade

Orange Isopods - for trade

I have a colony of Orange Porcellio scaber (isopod) that is reproducing well and I thought I might post a message here to see who is interested. I ended up giving away my Utricularia collection a couple years ago due to lack of time and space and I am now ready to get back into carnivorous plant growing.

P. scaber is easy to keep and can be an excellent addition to terrariums/greenhouses as they consume dead plant material and help keep things clean. They can be housed in relatively small containers, but may become cannibalistic as population density becomes too high. I keep mine in an aquarium filled with 2” of slightly damp coco peat. I feed them bread, vegetables and fruit from the kitchen that have started to go bad. I also occasionally provide cuttlebone or cricket food to provide calcium.

Looking for Utrics, subtropical drosera and Mexican Pings.

Sorry about the picture quality, I am too tired to get out my macro photography gear so I took the pic with my Blackberry.

IMG00203-20100321-2032.jpg

IMG00205-20100321-2033.jpg

IMG00206-20100321-2033.jpg

I am also interested in Genlisea :)

Im trying to get more carnivorous plants! Though, last I checked they do sell for around $10 to $15 per dozen, but I want plants more than I need money.

Is this offer still available? I'd like some for one of my tanks, just to keep it tidy and mold-free.

You've been PM'd. :-D

Received today. No DOAs. :D

Got mine a while back they're great little guys, be sure to feed em so they don't feed on your plants.

I sprinkle crushed oak leaves in the vivariums every month or so for them to "process", helps fertilize the tank too.

If you have crabs (LOL) they will eat Isopods, I can't keep them long term in the Geosesarma crab tanks they all get munched before they have a chance to settle in and breed. But they are probably a healthy live food since they spend a lot of time on the cuttle bones. Geos are mainly carnivorous though so maybe hermits would leave them alone? Whatever you plan to do with them I would suggest setting up a separate culture bin for them to breed in and transfer the offspring to the individual vivariums this way you have a steady supply to account for old age deaths, and getting eaten.

My bin is just a 15 quart sterlite with 2 inches of moist peat moss (not sopping wet) egg crate pieces (makes easier to transfer them to other tanks as they like to hide up under the cool moist cardboard. Every month or so I add leaves and a quart of water to rewet the soil to stay moist/damp. This is how it looked the day I started it:

pscabertub.jpg

pscabercolony.jpg

Hey Swords, I've set up a container very similar to that for my colony, and yes, I was planning on adding a few to the hermit terrarium once they start breeding. :-D

I have noticed that they can't climb the sides of the sterilite tub I keep them in. Have you notice the same?

Back