What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chris_Himself

Nep'tard
I'm trying to see what this little guy is willing to be traded for. I bought it because I knew it was rare. Its not that it doesnt grow fast, it puts up a new leaf within 2 weeks, it's just that I can't tell if I'm doing anything right or wrong and I know it would go to somebody who knew how to take better care of it. I'm responsible for the 3 newest leaves, so I guess I'm doing something right.

Frilleon, Carnivore12, and I we're having a chat this afternoon and we can't really agree if it looks like it will pitcher or not. Regardless, it does at least grow pretty quickly in my care. It outgrows my N. x Miranda just because the thing puts out 8 inch leaves now.

oTxCW.jpg

MvXdr.jpg

Lately I have been curious to drive into a Pasian Truncata or a Truncata hybrid, but I ended up ordering my N. Sang from Andrew. I don't even know what Neps I want. I have an N. Reinwardtiana on the way too.

Highlanders only please. I got lucky with an N. Bical once, but that was only because it was warm here...

I found that N. talangensis was a very finicky plant in making pitchers. It also only made pitchers when the tendrils rested on moss. Now...once again...this is just in my experience. Also, compared to other species, it loved growing in live sphagum and prefers a day time max temps of 75F and cool nights at 65F or so.

I successed to make my N.Talangensis produce pitchers. My experience is providing it more humidity than other highlanders. Daytime: 80%; Nighttime above 90%. But I am very curious about your Talangensis: your Talangensis puts up each new leave every two weeks? Or, I misunderstand you? My plant needs 1.5 month to produce a new leaf.

Update: So I'll do a straight trade for a nice HL Truncata or an N Khasiana.

I use Maxsea. My plants tend to grow stupid faster than their DNA allows. My ventricosa (Jacob Farin says this is a slow grower) puts out a new leaf/pitcher every week. I managed to revive some practically DOA stuff I've gotten as well with it.

This was it exactly 7 days ago:

XMnGN.jpg

This is it 2 days ago:
MvXdr.jpg

This is it now:
Mu9Sg.jpg

Feel free to PM me about my maxsea results. If you're interested in feeding, I've gotten some crazy results with this stuff. I know it's not a seasonal thing because I've seen my plants putter around normally before. That x Miranda leaf is twice the size of anything that came before in the year I've had it.

Also, in the first pic, compare my Veitchii x Platy from a week ago to this guy here:
1o667.jpg

Wow, that's nuts Chris!

Very amazing. How frequently you feed your plants with maxsea and how frequently spray their leaves?

If you looked around searching the forum about this, you would find some posts about how fertilizing will produce leaves but sacrifice pitchers. Apparently the plant doesn't bother producing pitchers as it is already "fed" sufficiently.
If you want pitchers, perhaps cut back on the fertilizer and you may see some.
[Of course, other variables may be responsible, so please, no children need to correct any errors!]

By the way, I haven't looked around recently, but is the cost of a Talangensis really the same as that of a Truncata or Khasiana? Prices sure do seem to change quickly.

Oh, SG... What's Maxsea?
For this and other repeatedly asked questions, simply type "Maxsea" in the "search" area, and find more posts & info about it than you can possibly imagine!

Last edited:
If you looked around searching the forum about this, you would find some posts about how fertilizing will produce leaves but sacrifice pitchers. Apparently the plant doesn't bother producing pitchers as it is already "fed" sufficiently.
If you want pitchers, perhaps cut back on the fertilizer and you may see some.
[Of course, other variables may be responsible, so please, no children need to correct any errors!]

I think feeding has induced pitchering on my Talangensis. I have no shortage of pitchers and my pitchers grow as big as the leaves do. Trust me, I've read up on it as much as possible and read all the "feeding" stickys. I'm using it at twice the recommended dosage that Peter suggested and member JensB uses full strength which is 3 times on his neps, helis and cephs with no penalties. I don't get big floppy leaves either. I'm just selling it because I don't particularly find anything to love about it yet and I know it's sought after. N. Truncata and Khasiana are cheap plants, but I don't want to buy anymore plants than I have, so whoever is trading me is getting a wicked deal.

For example, Ventricosa pitcher differences in size:

MMUaV.jpg

The one on the left hasn't even developed it's coloration yet. Each pitcher is a week apart and I don't see any signs of overfeeding at all.

Chris,
Sorry, the way others were talking about it, I thought pitcher-ing was an issue.
I also feed my neps, and started the practice 20 years ago because I didn't know I "shouldn't" (as per a lot of opinions back then!). Nice to see opinions changed over time!

Anyway, I also wasn't sure, as the original pics you posted for the plant in the foreground only showed undeveloped pitchers (and I assumed the plant in the foreground was the Talang you were wanting to trade off), and so I again thought the issue was (as people brought up) the lack of pitchers production/developing into maturity.

Sorry for the error. Glad to hear you are happy with the results you are getting.

Good luck. Hope you can trade it off for something more to your liking.

Hi, Chris,

I am spraying the maxsea onto the leaves of my N.Raff. weekly at the full strength (1 tsp per gallon). But I didn't see any speed up compared to its previous growth speed. Shall I increase the frequency of spraying? How frequently do you spray the maxsea on leaves, and pitcher feeding, and watering with maxsea? Thank you.

No worries GrowingOld. Man everyone is so courteous here. On my other forum people were getting banned for being totally irritating lol.

Zhill, MS at full strength is 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons). I haven't seen your growing conditions, N. Raff is a crazy fast grower normally from what I've heard.

I feed twice a month, lately I've been doing it weekly for fun on some of my ventricosa cuttings for 3 weeks now and they have these gigantic leaves, but still pitcher. My take is that you can feed plenty as long as you're providing a lot of light so the plants can metabolize the nutrients.

Maxsea isn't the only fertilizer I've used with success, I used Better-Gro at 1/2 strength as well with and without seaweed extract added. Better gro is actually really good with seaweed in it. I've only used MS for about a month now but the results were apparent within a couple weeks.

Seaweed contains a lot of growth hormones and micro-nutrients that help a plant along. I use it in all my hydroponics with great results. Seaweed extract by itself is 0-0-1 so it's recommended use is as a supplement to feeding. I also grow monster 3-4lb tomatoes and eggplants with seaweed + fish emulsion. It's actually one of my hobbies!

Anyways Zhill, I haven't really spoken to you too much on the forums, but you need to access your Raff's needs first really. I'm not trying to preach here, but to process any fertilizer, your plants need a lot of light and be at their ideal growing ranger of temperatures to metabolize any nutrients.

What is your light setup, humidity, and where do you grow your plants? I haven't grown CP's for more than a year but I'll try to help out.

Now as for how I use it, I water normally, spray the leaves, and pitcher fill 3/4. Don't pitcher fill more than once because on my plants the ones I pitcher filled every time will get a brown ring around the midsection as you can see in that last Ventricosa picture. That tells the pitcher to cut off nectar production because its had enough. The nutrients must have built up to a high level. The plant didn't suffer though. I use a 2tsp concentration. Foliar feeding doesn't do much unless you have a focused solution. Blood meal alone is good for this.

I will tell you to not try 2tsp right off the bat. I would use a 1tsp solution thru the soil and pitchers and if you like what you see, you can up the ante.

One last thing, dude just make a thread here or PM me, I'd like to keep this thead about my trade offers and my plant although I'm very happy that everyone is interested in my plants!

Hey Chris,
I am a little confused now,
on the thread: What are some Nepenthes you just cant seem to get right?:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121826

You wrote: (Post #22)
Does anybody want my talangensis then lol. Based on what I found on this forum, I have little to no hope for it at all. I got it for the same price as my Alata no less which grows circles around it. I understand what people say when it's a slow grower, 1 month and no sign of even pitchering. I have one new leaf. I have no idea how some of you guys do it. Fertilizer or not, this thing is slow. Wish I had some pitchers on it to feed.

But here you corrected me by saying:
I think feeding has induced pitchering on my Talangensis. I have no shortage of pitchers and my pitchers grow as big as the leaves do....

So what is going on? I stood corrected, but now I don't understand what you are saying, as your posts seem to conflict each other.
(I am getting by on 4 hours sleep in the past 2 days, so I am sure I am just not understanding something simple, but it would be nice to know what the situation really is. If you have no shortage of it pitchering, why do you say "1 month and no sign of even pitchering".)

I know I may be interpreting things incorrectly, especially in my current state of mind, but in one post you are implying that the plant isn't doing well, and in the other, that it is doing great! Maybe someone can tell me if it reads this way or not to them too. We are talking about Talangensis in both... and there isn't mention of a second Talangensis plant....

Oh Well, I need a nap. This is all too much for me to understand!

The N. Talangensis I was posting about I received about a month prior to joining the forums and making that post. In the month I've had it, it was the only plant in my shipment to not have made a single pitcher! I thought that I simply was not growing it correctly. Now that I have confirmed that I have a healthy and well-growing plants albeit very slow, I am just trying to get rid of it.

Here it is right now. The most rightward tendril buried itself in my other plant's pot. When I removed some of the LFS, I can definitely confirm it is swelling and will pitcher within the next couple weeks.

When I stated that I think feeding induced pitchering, I meant that after it's growth spurt following feed, the tendrils started to show some growth in length and at the ends. When I said I have no shortage of pitchers and the pitchers grow as big as the leaves, I was referring to the defense of my fertilization techniques on ALL my plants since I showed a picture of my Veitchii x Platychila which showed huge leaves compared to when I didn't feed.

Mi7hQ.jpg

You nep is not pitchering because of the fert...se vraev post...we share the same experience, minus the temp range which for me is a bit higher.

Still up for grabs! I've inspected and sprayed the plant down with water just now, no parasites, dead leaves, spots, or blemishes on the plant at all! New leaf is looking pretty beefy with some serious potential in the tendril...

Back