What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giving Back: SASE N. Deroose Alata cuttings

Terraforums has been a great haven for me over the last 1.5 years as I've needed a break away from running my business. In an effort to give back to the community that has given so much to me, I'm going to be chopping up my N. Deroose alata bush and giving away cuttings for free. Anyone can sign up for a chance to get one, but I'll be picking who I give them to with a preference given to those people who helped me out in my early days or who have traded generously to me in the past.

I've never done SASE, and would just prefer to get shipping costs PayPal'd to me if that works. I'll work it out with those who I select to get cuttings.

Thank you Terraforums!

-xantius

attachment.php

Probably don't have much of a chance, but feel free to consider me! Also, kudos on paying it forward.

Kyle

id like to enter. if i worthy enough.

does not hurt to try. :) but this is a nice generosity. Thank you regardless of who wins. The intention you have is what matters.

I know how you feel Xantius. One day I hope to have something to share with the community as well. Unfortunately I've been picking some rather slow growing plants...

Put me in the hat and maybe I'll have something to offer next year as well : )

I'm new, never traded with you before, but I would love a cutting also if I am worth of it :)

I am sure some of you know this, but that plant is N. ventrata.

Joe

I am sure some of you know this, but that plant is N. ventrata.

Joe

The Deroose alata is alata x (alata x ventricosa).... technically it's ventrata, but they call it Deroose alata. Confusing, ain't it? :crazy:

The Deroose nursery once sold it as alata, hence the name. :p

There is no proof it's N. ventrata x alata, only people on forums perpetuating that they think this is what it is.

There really isnt all that much N. alata evident in the plant which is common for first generation N. ventricosa hybrids. Consider also that this plant has been around since the early 1980's. N. ventrata was registered in 1979. There isn't enough time in my opinion to cross N. ventrata back to one of it's parents then grow out multiple different clones to find one that would suit the Dutch nursery and produce and market thousands of large plants in hanging baskets by the early 1980s. Deroose still markets to this day as N. alata, which simply denotes that N. alata was the female parent based on their history of keeping things labelled as the female plant. This says nothing about the male parent though. The greatest likelyhood is that it was simply a N. ventricosa as the male parent.

There is no proof it's N. ventrata x alata, only people on forums perpetuating that they think this is what it is.

There really isnt all that much N. alata evident in the plant which is common for first generation N. ventricosa hybrids. Consider also that this plant has been around since the early 1980's. N. ventrata was registered in 1979. There isn't enough time in my opinion to cross N. ventrata back to one of it's parents then grow out multiple different clones to find one that would suit the Dutch nursery and produce and market thousands of large plants in hanging baskets by the early 1980s. Deroose still markets to this day as N. alata, which simply denotes that N. alata was the female parent based on their history of keeping things labelled as the female plant. This says nothing about the male parent though. The greatest likelyhood is that it was simply a N. ventricosa as the male parent.
I see. Very interesting, and thanks, Tony!

No problem.. You could also say there is no proof that it is N. alata x ventricosa just as easily. Deroose has never come out and said what it is and probably never will. ;< I just wish they would at least change the label!

i guess ill please enter

No problem.. You could also say there is no proof that it is N. alata x ventricosa just as easily. Deroose has never come out and said what it is and probably never will. ;< I just wish they would at least change the label!

I'm actually still perplexed, most nurseries list Deroose Alata separate from Ventrata, some even charge more for it!

I've accepted that what I had earlier is definitely not an N. Alata and I have no idea why the nursery listed it at regular N. Alata 'Red Blush'.

Tony want to make a thread and call everyone to post pics of their ventrata/D. Alatas?

We should settle it here on TF for the CP community to see.

Sign me up for one if there's still one left. Thanks!-Noah

I'll throw my hat in the ring. Much appreciated!
ad

Closed

Thanks for the interest. I will be contacting each of you to let you know the details. It may take a few days as I run a very busy business, so please be patient!

xantius

Thank you! Payment sent!:boogie:

Thanks! Payment has been sent :)

Back