What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lizasaur

Charlatan
Okay, so I've got that "need new plants" fever.
I unfortunately don't have much to offer, just S. x Dana's Delight, and a single, 3/4" D. Spathulata 'Pink Flower'. I also have seedlings from various interesting Sarracenia crosses, and small Rutgers (Famous Old Jersey) Tomato plants.

If you don't want to trade for anything I have, and you have a small division that's just taking up space, I'll pay for the shipping. Size isn't an issue. Something 3"+ in height would be great, but as mentioned, I have seedlings, and my Hummer Hammerhead is just over 1" in leaf length, so I can deal with small on the scale.

S. Rubra Wherryi "Orange Flowers"
S. Purpurea Purpurea
S. Flava Coppertop
S. Alata x Minor
S. Leuco x Flava
S. x Mardi Gras
S. x Judith Hindle
S. x Doodle Bug

I'd also like to obtain S. Oreophila and S. Rubra ssp. Jonesii, apparently both of those can only be bought in Oregon. I just. I never understood why, or how that works. I don't need to be flamed, but I honestly don't see the big deal if bought or not, it was cultivated, and not poached. Tigers are endangered but can be kept as pets, presuming you have a permit, because they're bred in captivity. So if someone grew some from seeds or split a division from one already obtained...then why not? I know there's a few people on here that don't live in Oregon that have S. Oreophila, and I believe I read something about them being able to be given away, so is that a loophole? Or are my dreams of obtaining these plants without moving to Oregon pretty much shot to hell?

Last edited:
You could find a nursery in Florida that sells them... oreophila and jonesii that is. You can buy and sell them within the state you live in. At least that is my understanding. If I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

For the others you may want to check out flytrapshop.com. Many of the ones you listed are available there and for reasonable prices.

Interesting. I've never seen CPs beyond VFTs for sale anywhere, with the exception of the Cube of Death plants. I'll have to ask around.

Also, I checked and the only ones instock are Leucophylla and Alata. The rest are fair game. And while the prices are reasonable, $10 each + shipping is kind of beyond my budget. Hence the wanting to trade. I guess I should probably take those out though, right? =(

Last edited:
hey i<3carnivores where in florida are you located, if you dont want to give specific city name just south north east west would work just as well. not that it'll help you any but just cuz i live in fort lauderdale so its nice to know others around me. wickmo who rarely gets on but is a pretty cool guy and gives rather good information based on our climate lives around me, never met him but helps to know how he deals with our ridiculously hot and humid weather.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

haha just looked at your grow list, i doubt you need any further info on growing cp's in florida. excuse my assumption that you were new to this (not that im experienced by any means).

Why hello =) I have a friend down there. I'm in Sarasota.

Hey now, don't feel silly =) Even experts need help sometimes, although I am far from an expert, I would like to think of myself as being well-rooted in the hobby as I haven't killed anything in a couple of years. I have my Sarracenia, my Cup Trap VFT, Cobra Lily, Highland and Lowland Neps all doing wonderful!

I love your pic, btw. It makes me a little sad cause I adore sandpipers though!

To keep a tiger as a pet you need a permit. To ship endangered plants you need a permit. [;
Not flaming or anything..
Also yeah, andy sells great plants.

@Liz yea they're pretty cool looking. how is the climate up in sarasota?

Tigers require permits because they're large, wild, potentionally killer animals. o_O
While I would understand permits and regulations on specimens taken from the wild, I still don't grasp the purpose of such for "captive" specimens.

I never doubted the integrity of Andy's plants. Unfortunately he only has two things on that list in stock, and nearly $30 is kind of way beyond my budget. I wouldn't think that holding my hand out for a small division of such common Sarracenia is a huge deal. I've messaged him though, just to be safe.

@jafvortex93- the climate here is the typical Florida weather. Hot, humid, and overall miserable. It's been kind of overcast lately but hasn't rained, which is a letdown because I'm tired of buying so many gallons of Distilled water at Wal-Mart a week and would love to collect lots of rain water. What about down there?

@liz it was how you described for a week or so down here but that all changed today, from 8am to around 5-6pm it was raining from pouring to just drizzling but nonstop. and yea im sure the miserable factor is increased with all the lovebugs you probably get up there, i was just in orlando visiting blizzard beach. the drive down was ridiculous i had to stop about 4 times just to wash my windows. what are the temps you experience in the winter time? enough to send your sarrs into dormancy outdoors? and do you grow nepenthes as well, if yes what kinda LL HL or Intermediate? i know a ton of questions lol im always glad to talk to someone from the "sunshine" state.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

OH and duh original reason for clicking on this thread again, andrew had/has a sase going on for sarr seeds. not sure if your interested. check it out in the trade section. its titled 104+ packs of sarr...

Maaan, I hope we get some of that rain. Over the weekend it stormed reallyy good, but it was all wasted- the majority of the rain was missed because my family thought they were doing me a favor my moving the garbage can I use to collect rain out in the middle of the yard and away from the gutter, and I'm new to using trays instead of individual dishes, and so some of my plants got flooded, and when I did remove my catching-containers to where I want them, apparently there was some contaminants somewhere and the water was all soapy looking. I was out there in the thunder and lightening and looked like a drowned rat for NOTHING. Well, I had to save my plants, regardless, but still.
Oh god, the lovebugs are making a comeback, yeah. For whatever reason, whether its the design of my car, or the protective layer of dirt on it, I never get plagued by lovebugs. I get the occasional splat, but my dad's windshield is nearly entirely white by the time he comes home. =P What's driving me crazy is the cicadas and squirrels- cicadas scare me, and squirrels just make me nervous, as they can always steal a plant. Or bite me. And I could go without a rabies shot.
In winter time, it's a little warmer than inland because I'm coastal. I think. This past winter was pretty brutal, certainly far worse than the typical "3 days below 40" I'm used to, but everything survived. I brought my Neps in and that was it. I think it was mostly in the 50s and 60s, only dipping past 40 on exceptionally freezing nights. But yes, they did go dormant.
I have a bit of everything- My Bicalcarata is lowland, the Truncata is intermediate (despite being a Highland form), and the Densiflora is Highland .

Ah. I'm kind of burned out on seeds though, especially since I had to sell my light, and I don't have anymore trays or peat pots to get them started in. Thank you though =)

Yea well what has seemed to work for me is im constantly checking the weather just to know whether or not its going to rain so i can time whether or not to walk my dogs earlier than normal. Sooo what i do is i walk them and after that i climb on my roof with my hose and a broom and i spray and sweep till i see that nothing is falling from the roof into the gutter into my container. that way i get mainly clean mostly uncontaminated rain water. my girlfriend loves squirrels she got bit by one at seaworld tho haha. but hey no worries because squirrels cant get rabies (a little fun fact). yea down here the weather gets around 50's in the winter but with the windchill it probably feels 40's or lower. yea i only have 1 ventricosa some d.roseana d.scorpiodes d.capensis alba and vft's 'typical'.

Back