What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for liverworts

Typing a quick response to a thread reminded me that I've never been able to get ahold of a nice liverwort. Does anyone have anything growing around their house or collection? I'm looking for a type that produces the mini palm trees and spore cups. Just PM me with some areas of CP interest and I'll see what I can offer to entice you haha. Thanks!

You mean like this?
0352_KasslerLiverwurstLarge.jpg

No, huh!
Oh, you wanted a liverwort, I thought you said liverwurst! :-))
Well, this is the only one I have right now! ???

(I actually had some liverwort years ago... but nothing right now, sorry.) :blush:
Perhaps try a forest preserve somewhere if you are desperate. :-D

I'm looking for a type that produces the mini palm trees and spore cups.
I have some that produces just the palm fronds & not the whole tree. I'll pay you if you can eradicate it ....

:)

RL, I'll take some of that!

Actually, I have heard that heavily fertilizing an area with these, and exposing to more sunlight (if that is possible) will kill them off.... I don't know if that is better however, as perhaps nothing will grow there then.

No actual experience myself to base that on however.... just here-say.

I have fertilized areas of lawn that had moss growing on them (again, heard to do that) and it did help cut down on the moss, however I also cut back some tree limbs to get the grass more sun too, which helped. However I still have moss there some.... it is a moist area and I think the grass doesn't like it there as a result.

Good luck!

I've been to a professional tree grower a while ago and he uses osmocote generously but still most of his pots get covered by huge liverworts :)

Yes, had the same problem when I was working in a nursery years ago. Liverworts would fill the pots.

I "think" this is a type of liverwort
I have it growing on a few peat pots / Guess I could spare one if you're interested

5-1-10.jpg

Those look like fern prothallus' to me.
You can allready see 4 baby ferns popping out on the left pot.
Keep them moist and who knows what pretty ferns you get.
I'm betting on some adiantum :p

I agree

Those are definitely baby ferns. Consider yourself lucky you have dramatically increased your fern collection and got a lesson in fern propagation.
Phil

Back