What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

phrag for ceph (others considered)

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
I have a three year old Phrag. Devil's Fire, 3N for trade. I've had this baby since I bought a freshly potted compot from Woosdtream Orchids in the fall of 2007. I have sold or traded the rest of the babies but still have this one and two that I'm keeping for myself.

I'm looking for a ceph in trade but would consider others. The phrag will be shipped potted from USA zip code 21012. It will mature into a gorgeous plant but being 3N, will not be useful for breeding. Unlike most phrags (south american slipper orchids) the parent's behind devils fire do not grow well in standing water.

What does 3N mean?

Alas, I have no Ceph to trade for, wish you luck!

What does 3N mean?

Alas, I have no Ceph to trade for, wish you luck!

Most "normal" orchids, and other plants for that matter, diploids..the normal 2 sets of chromosomes. These are 2N, plants chemically treated to douple their count are considered 4N. 4n plants tend to grow larger and are considered to be "better' in flower count, color, etc.

A 2N crossed with a 4N will give you 3N plants. These have most of the "good" qualities of their 4N parent but are sterile (pollen is fairly useless and will not set seed). They cannot be propagated by cloning however.
This sterilaity is the reason behind plants such as "seedless watermelons". they are grown from 3N seeds.

I believe triploid as opposed to diploid.

Back