What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.gracilis seeds available

more and more available, just ripe today, 14/9/2010
interested PM me

Last edited:
What sort of CP seeds? I've got a couple of packs worth in the 'fridge...

you can see from the tittle N.gracilis seeds
=D
it just a very simple plant XD

I think Clue means which CP seeds are you interested in for exchange.

oh...my mistake...sorry about that, i am very terrible in English:jester:

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

What sort of CP seeds? I've got a couple of packs worth in the 'fridge...

wow...then will it possible if i trade it by 100 or more nepenthes gracilis per species?

Could you post your location? That would make it easier for the traders, should be able to edit it in your profile.

not sure if im interested though, are these lowlanders? i have trouble growing them up here in NY, too cold, don't really want to set up anything so i might just stick to highlanders :D

just post where i from.....hot and sunny place from Malaysia...

Ouch.....

Yeah... the it being illegal and everything to ship em overseas :-)) (oops!)

No. You can ship seeds, anywhere. Just not plants without the required permits.

No. You can ship seeds, anywhere. Just not plants without the required permits.

Wrongo. Seeds are under international restrictions as well.

Andrew is correct. Seeds are governed by the CITES convention and require the proper permits.

It's not illegal, look:

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.shtml#hash4

All parts and derivatives, except:
a) seeds (including seedpods of Orchidaceae), spores and pollen (including pollinia). The exemption does not apply to seeds from Cactaceae spp. exported from Mexico, and to seeds from Beccariophoenix madagascariensis and Neodypsis decaryi exported from Madagascar;
b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants;
d) fruits, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genus Vanilla (Orchidaceae) and of the family Cactaceae;
e) stems, flowers, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genera Opuntia subgenus Opuntia and Selenicereus (Cactaceae); and
f) finished products of Euphorbia antisyphilitica packaged and ready for retail trade.

While I thought that cites restricted it too, it's specifically the shipping seeds issue. You'd need a small lots of seed permit (free, but a pain) or a phytosanitary certificate (expensive and a pain). Actually, if I had proof that the seeds were cultivated I'd just have them sent in a letter and ignore the inter-country restrictions. But why does it mean by "artificially propagated"? Just cultivated? What's the worry about cites, then, if they're all cultivated?

Told ya so

Told who what? Me it's legal? Nope, I never said anything about CITES that is completely different and covers endangered plants only.
http://www.cites.org
CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) is an international agreement between governments. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival.
As silenceisgod mentions, you either need a phytosanitary certificate or Small Lots of Seed Note the first line there that says
Lots of seed may be imported without a phytosanitary certificate under the following conditions:
indicating you need one or the other.

Andrew

...and then?

What about exporting seed? Anything fancy needed?

You don't need a permit to export seeds out of the country, but depending on the other country you do need something to import it there. They all have different rules besides that they accept phytosanitary certificates (provided they're not on CITES). Some people just put the seed in a regular envelope, that way there's almost no chance it won't go through if you put it in non see-through paper.

I even found out you don't need a phyto cert to export regular plants from the US, you just might for the destination country. Some don't care.

Ah! Not so fast. Seeds are governed by CITES, particularly Appendix I species. The seeds from Appendix I species of Nepenthes and Sarracenia require export and import permits. CITES definitely covers seeds; however, there are exceptions within CITES. Where not covered by CITES, you still need the proper permits to import seeds into the USA: '"Subpart–Nursery Stock, Plants, Roots, Bulbs, Seeds, and Other Plant Products" (7 CFR §319.37) prohibit or restrict the importation of living plants, plant parts, and seeds for propagation.' The USDA requires that one obtains a Small Lots of Seed Permit prior to the importation of any seed whether it is in CITES or not.

Nevertheless, CITES is not actually US Law; it is an international convention and treaty. The US implementation of the CITES Convention is the Endangered Species Act, which is actually more stringent than the CITES. The ESA treats seeds and pollen the same as if they were live plants (ESA A.17.3). The exception noted by Taliesin-DS is interpreted by the ESA as only those seeds that are from plants in cultivation (ESA G.17.71(a)). Seeds from CITES Appendix II wild populations are interpreted by the ESA as requiring a CITES permit.

Depending upon the species and the circumstances, between one to three permits are required to import seeds into the USA.

-Hermes.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

It depends entirely upon what country you are exporting to. If it is an Appendix I species, you need CITES export permit to export seeds outside the country. If it is an Appendix II species, you may need an export permit but only if the receiving country requires it--not all countries implement CITES in the same way. Even though CITES does not require export permits for CPs listed as Appendix II species, national governments are free to impose more stringent regulations than are recommended by CITES. If the country has phytosanitary regulations, you will need to consult the laws of the country to where you are exporting.

Back