What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Give Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
Hello all,

I haven't been around here as much as I was in college. The working world isn't all its cracked up to be. Anyhow, back in '08 I received some seeds from somebody (probably Tropics?) They are N. Splendiana x (Rokko x Stenophylla), and were germinated in October of 2008. Seeds being the way they are, grow into bigger plants, and thus take up precious space. Since I have no need for a million of the same plant, I have decided to give away two of them. (I don't literally have a million.) I am retaining two to grow out a bit, and then I'll narrow it down to one (distant future.) Also, I will be giving away my Nepenthes x "Judith Finn." The Judith Finn is about 7-8 inches in diameter, as is one of the complex hybrids. The third plant is about 6 inches. All three are well cared for, in healthy condition, but lacking photos (camera's broke.) All I will ask is $5 to cover the priority flat rate box.

Here's how the give away will work. I will accept submissions here in this post until 7:00 PM EST Monday July 19, 2010. All you need to do is tell me what your favorite book is and why. If you just so happen to pick the book I have on my desk right now, you'll get your pick of the three. Otherwise I'll decide, and only one submission per person. I will also take growlists and post count into consideration. US only please, and I will only accept PayPal for the shipping costs.

Good luck!

My favorite book is James Harriot's All Creatures Great and Small.
He makes me want to be a vet. I almost tried to get into vet school because of this book (and the others in the series). His characters and situations are so REAL, you feel like you are there with him as he does his rounds in the Yorkshire Dales.
Great reading.

Only ONE favorite book? Shoot, that's a toughie! There are three that I will read again, and again, and again..... Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" and "The Books of Magic", and "The Unlikely Voyage of Jack De Crow" by A J Mackinnon.

But my number one, all-time favorite, that's so beat-up and worn from use that it needs replacing soon? Don't laugh: The "Savage Garden", by none other than Peter D'Amato. THAT is my answer.

I don't have a single favorite book, but a series, which is dubbed "The Uglies Trilogy", and is written by Scott Westerfeld.
While it may be found in the "Young Adults" section, I found it to be very well-written and laden with all kinds of subliminal messages. It was a time of a new era- we, in this day, were called "The Rusties" because we so thoughtlessly damaged the wild and wasted valuable resources, we were also considered primitive for even consuming meat at all and our financial system. However, throughout the series, it went full-circle in this new society: praising this "flawless" system, striving to overturn it, and ultimately realizing why any social structure is needed in the first place. It sent a message of a need for conservation and preservation, economy and values (there is no perfect solution), and provided an understanding of authority's purpose.
It's my favorite because it sucked you in and could relate to both younger kids and adults- the messages it sent were clear to all ages.

Last edited:
Old man and the sea I love to fish and the entire book is about a man's struggle with a fish going back to his life and the boy It also has many religious ties which i find interesting.

Well, I'm going to put my plug in for the Bible as my favorite book. It claims to have the salvation for all of mankind's direst problems and charts the history of the World from beginning to end. And besides, it has been the most influential book in the Western world for the past 2000 years.

Anything Dean Koontz.. I can't pick a single favorite.

"My favorite book? How can I pick a single one?"

So I can't say this is my favorite... But a book that has inspired me and given me countless "Ohh, so THAT'S how that works" moments is Natures building blocks by John Emsley. It's a brilliantly well done list of the elements with pages of history, economic usage, and interesting facts, and of course the chemistry explained in such intricate detail and yet simple enough for most people to understand. I particularly like the "elements of surprise" paragraph of each element... For each one I learned something completely new.

This book was what got me into chemistry and thinking about how the world works. It's what also lead me to interest in biology and physics, because at some point in the book I realized that all of the topics were connected. Knowing one would help you understand the other. I originally borrowed this book from my chem teacher, but it got so beaten up I ended up buying him another copy on amazon. I read all 600 pages in order and plan to do it again because I know more about the subject now and will be able to understand more. So it might not be an interesting fiction book, which I do enjoy, but it will make you think. And think and think and then eventually you will try to APPLY what you learned.

I start and just can't stop! ... Talking, that is.

I think it comes down to Gulliver's Travels or Candide. While the latter has the ultimate sarcastic criticism of dogma and religion that needs to get said every couple hundred years (and I've read it in its French and English I thought it was so great), the former ridiculously exposes medieval European xenophobia at its finest and is the quintessential depressive analysis of human societies imho (which I love, being Slavic in origin). Ultimately, Gulliver's Travels *wins* for me! Candide is just a little too ridiculous (nose being created to hold up glasses and all...), but still a great read. Mind you, I will always save a little room in my heart for Plato's collected works :-D.

My favorite all-time book is Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I've read it innumerable times. For me it's a classic novel of a man's search for meaning in life and the understanding of himself and the knowlege of how to live in a world of suffering and make peace with it.

I won't post my growlist because it is tiny, but I've got at least one of most types of CP. So far the neps and dews are my favorite. I would love to have a hybrid nep. So far I only have a sang and a ventricosa.

Thanks for the consideration!

Seth

Last edited:
As dated as it is, mine would have to be "Catch 22". It still has such a strong ring of truth about someone being driven to desperate measures trying to fight illogical rules set up by the goverment. It has spawned a phrase used by millions of people who don't know the origin yet understand the meaning.

Illusions- by Richard Bach..

I also like the "Life of Pi".

to kill a mockingbird

i liked how the seemingly peaceful town was torn apart by a murder, racism, and cruel rumors all around the time of the trial. and how the mystery of big bad boo radly is depicted through a 11 year olds eyes.

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution, by Richard Dawkins

I am petrified by the percentage of Americans who don't believe in evolution (around 50% depending on the survey). That opposing views to evolution can only progress their ideas politically says much about their scientific merit. The existence of this book gives me some comfort.

The dictionary
most useful book in my life as it tells me spellings, definitions and pronunciation of words I do know or can't recall. has served to end many a disagreement about words in the English language

Just like Katie, my favorite book is the Savage Garden.

Tough to choose out of the three, but I'd have to say that my favorite book is the first book of the "Lord of the rings" series 'The fellowship of the ring'. I love this book because it was the one that started the the fanastic story of friendship, betrayal, love, and courage. It is everything an epic story should be, and one of the best of all time.

It's a long shot but "People of the Dark" by Robert E. Howard. Nothing evokes images of primordial, raw power better than the original Conan stories.

I do have to say an interesting was to choose
Would love to hear how you came up with it
LOL

But I'll jump in with "Of Mice & Men"
It's a great story

Thanx
DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back