What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giveaway: Sarracenia alabamensis ssp. alabamensis

I just got back from vacation and was able to purchase (legally) a pot of Sarracenia alabamensis ssp. alabamensis. I divided it up today and found that there were actually 5 plants growing in the pot.

In order to try to get this plant into more hands, I am going to be giving away one plant for cost of shipping. The plant is small and probably the size of a 2-3 year old seedling.

I am pretty sure this is legal. If anyone who thinks it is not please PM me with info and I will pull this offer. I will not charge a penny more than the cost of a small flat rate shipping stamp which is 4.95.

In order to participate in this giveaway, please answer the following questions. What I am going to do is check to make sure participants are capable to grow this plant well and then randomly select a winner. I suspect most/all will be eligible so don't be afraid to submit your name.

Cutoff for entry is Tuesday, July 20th @ 8PM Eastern. I will select the winner either Tuesday or Wednesday night.

Q: How long have you been growing sarrs?
Q: Describe growing environment and # hours of sun (just a few words is fine)
Q: Describe dormancy practice (just a few words is fine) ie: garage, fridge, etc.
Q: Do you have more or less than 10 sarrs?
Q: How many of these have you had over 2 years?

Good luck!

EDIT: OK, because of the legal opinion on Barry Rice's web site I am going to cover the cost of shipping. This plant is completely free. I am just kidding about the legal opinion part. He explicitly states correctness of his statements are neither expressed or implied.

Last edited:
Q: How long have you been growing sarrs? for four years
Q: Describe growing environment and # hours of sun (just a few words is fine) Bog barrel which gets full sun from appr. 10:00 AM through 5:00PM, bottom layer is sand, followed by sand/peat at 50-50 then top six inches is pure peat with a LFS top dressing
Q: Describe dormancy practice (just a few words is fine) ie: garage, fridge, etc. They go dormant in place, covered with mulch, then screening over the top to keep squirrels from digging in the bog
Q: Do you have more or less than 10 sarrs? more
Q: How many of these have you had over 2 years? six, the rest I got this year
:hail:

Last edited:
Q1: How long have you been growing sarrs?
Q2: Describe growing environment and # hours of sun (just a few words is fine)
Q3: Describe dormancy practice (just a few words is fine) ie: garage, fridge, etc.
Q4: Do you have more or less than 10 sarrs?
Q5: How many of these have you had over 2 years?

Q1: 3 weeks
Q2: 50/50 peat @ perlite with 12-14 hours of light
Q3: fridge method from Nov.-Feb.
Q4: Much less than 10.. I own 1
Q5: 3, including the 1 I own now

Q: How long have you been growing sarrs? 2 months
Q: Describe growing environment and # hours of sun (just a few words is fine) 50/50 Peat and Silica Sand topped with sphagnum moss with 10-12 hours of sunlight, humidity usually higher than 50% and temperatures in the low 90s, watered with reverse osmosis water acidified with peat, in trays.
Q: Describe dormancy practice (just a few words is fine) ie: garage, fridge, etc. I live in a place where I can give them dormancy fine by leaving them outside.
Q: Do you have more or less than 10 sarrs? 7, to be exact.
Q: How many of these have you had over 2 year I just started growing them 2 months ago

Thanks. :-D

Q: How long have you been growing sarrs? 3 years
Q: Describe growing environment and # hours of sun (just a few words is fine) use tray method as well as a few containers with 60 peat/40 perlite. Mine get sun for 10 hrs +
Q: Describe dormancy practice (just a few words is fine) ie: garage, fridge, etc. fridge
Q: Do you have more or less than 10 sarrs? have about 20 sarrs
Q: How many of these have you had over 2 years? 12

Q: How long have you been growing sarrs? about 7 years
Q: Describe growing environment and # hours of sun (just a few words is fine) full sun all day long, 50:50 peat and perlite mix
Q: Describe dormancy practice (just a few words is fine) ie: garage, fridge, etc. dormancy outside, temps below 25 I bring it into an unheated garage for a few days. Mild climate here gives great weather for sarrs and vft's!
Q: Do you have more or less than 10 sarrs? About 50 right now
Q: How many of these have you had over 2 years? all of them

Q: How long have you been growing sarrs?: About 3 months :)
Q: Describe growing environment and # hours of sun (just a few words is fine):Full sun all day long, tray method
Q: Describe dormancy practice (just a few words is fine) ie: garage, fridge, etc.:Plan on the unheated 'garage' method
Q: Do you have more or less than 10 sarrs?:I have 3 sarrs out of 11 CP's total :blush:
Q: How many of these have you had over 2 years?: None

Thanks for considering me!

Last edited:
Seventeen Years.

Pure peat with a top-dressing of pure LFS..I collect rain water..About 8 hours of full sun in the summer.

Q: Describe dormancy practice (just a few words is fine) ie: garage, fridge, etc.
http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5c.html

More, perhaps 40 individual plants, but only about 8 types..I have quantity, but not variety.

All of them.

Scot

Three full seasons

My plants are grown out on our deck, receiving full sun all day long.

I clip all my plants dead leaves off, clean up the soil, and put them in our unheated attic near a window. They receive a fair amount of light, with cold enough temperatures to keep them dormant. I check very often for mold growth, etc.

More.

All but one.

Thanks for the opportunity to win!

Q1. 3 years
Q2. Grown outside in full sun. Around 13 hours of direct sun in the summer. Oversized plastics pots to protect roots from extreme temperatures.
Q3. Natural dormancy outside.
Q4. Way more than 10, both species and hybrids
Q5. Around 20 plants I have had longer then 2 years. Others at least a year.

Q1. 3 years
Q2. Outside, full sun. 12-14 hours, peat/perlite mix
Q3. Natural, since I live in NC
Q4. More
Q5. I have 4 that I have had for 3 years, the rest I've had for at least 6 months

Thanks

Last edited:
Going on 4 years.

Full sun during the growing season. They get 6 to 8 hours per day. In summer, it gets extremely hot, but all the Sarrs tolerate the heat very well. They are grown in individual pots and are top watered every day.

I let them slip into dormancy naturally by leaving them outside. Then, in the dead of winter I place them in my unheated garage. I bring them out again late winter.

More than 10.

About 7 cones. If you count individual divisions alione then it's more than 15.

Thanks for the opportunity! :awesome:

Last edited:
about 2 1/2 years now? a little more maybe...
Full sun from 9:30AM to 5:30PM
my plants get a natural dormancy starting around late october/early november and wake up in april...
more
Q: How many of these have you had over 2 years? as for this particular plant, 0. but as for sarracenia, a hundred or so....

thanks for the opportunity to get one of these :) rubra is quite the underrated plant...

About 2 weeks.
2:1 mix of peat/perlite with 4 teaspoons of silica sand. Grown outside in a Sarr bog 9 inches deep in full sun for 12 hours, dappled light for 2. Flood-watered with distilled every 2-4 days.
Natural zone 8 dormancy.
Uh, let me go outside and count...less.
None.
Q: Are you waisting my time?
Probably.

You are not waisting my time BurntSnow. Everyone has made the cut. :) It's not like sarrs are that hard to grow...

2 hours to go.

Q1: about a year just going on the second year
Q2: full sun from 7:30AM to about 5:30PM in a pot with a saucer underneath
Q3: Fridge
Q4: less then 10 currently 3
Q5: 1 I have had for a year the rest are this year

thanks for posting such a good giveaway :D

Here is my logic in selecting the winner using trusty ol' vbscript. :)

Call Main
Sub Main()
intNumberOfEntries= 14
strEntries = "chibae,massmorels,limeslide,denverone,dewy," + _
"FlyedPiper,scottychaos,DavyJones,doku,MasterGrower," + _
"joossa,SirKristoff,BurntSnow,Nep Lover"​
ArrEntries = Split(strEntries, ",")
intRandomizer = 0
While Len(strEntries) > 0
intRandomizer = intRandomizer + Asc(Mid(strEntries, 1, 1))
strEntries = Mid(strEntries, 2, Len(strEntries))​
Wend
Randomize (intRandomizer)
RandomNumber = Int(Rnd() * intNumberOfEntries) +1
WScript.Echo "Entries"
i = 1
For each X in ArrEntries
wscript.Echo i & " " & X
i = i + 1​
Next
WScript.Echo "And the winner is... Number: " & RandomNumber & "-" & ArrEntries(RandomNumber-1)​
End Sub
Ran the program and here are the results...

Entries
1 chibae
2 massmorels
3 limeslide
4 denverone
5 dewy
6 FlyedPiper
7 scottychaos
8 DavyJones
9 doku
10 MasterGrower
11 joossa
12 SirKristoff
13 BurntSnow
14 Nep Lover
And the winner is... Number: 8-DavyJones

Congrats to DavyJones. Please PM me your address and I will send it out soon.

Thanks to all who entered.

Wow, wasn't expecting that! All that garble means absolutely nothing to me, but I guess I should like whatever it does! PM on the way!

Back