What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free to experienced grower: Sarracenia x catesbaei: Montana x rubicorpora

Seeds Developing!

Brokken,

Here's an interesting example, of how some kids look like one parent,
while their siblings may look like the other parent!

Many of the seedlings are beginning to resemble their Flava Mother!:
Pplant8686.jpg

While a few of their siblings from the same batch are looking like their Purpurea Montana Father!
Pplant8687.jpg

Or is that reversed, Flava Father, & Montana Mother! :-D
ummm, Does this make them Sarracenia Sisters? :-O

Well, kidding around aside, it is interesting the broad range of how their traits are showing.
Thanks again Brokken! It has been an interesting cross to watch develop.
It should be interesting to see them at maturity, to observe how they have genetically distributed and expressed their traits. That's the great thing about getting and growing seed!

GrowinOld :water:

If you have any of these left I would like to try some. I have been growing sarras for approximately 7 + years

Ty
Copper

same here if any left i would like to try some i have been growing Sarracenia for over a year and none of my Sarracenia have died i even have my first Sarracenia and here is all of the Sarracenia i am growing.

S. alata
S. leucophylla
S. flava
S. minor
S. purpurea subsp. venosa
S. 'Judiith Hindle'
S. psittacina
S. rubra subsp. wherryi

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 PM ----------

Half of those i have grown from seed.

For grins and chuckles, here's my seedlings:

100_9681.jpg

Hi Paul,

They look awesome! :) a piece of the biggest, most beautiful child! ;)

I had super extra mold problems this year, for whatever reason...but despite that...getting dug up by squirrels...and rained on...I got germination.
I'll take pics once they develop further.

Thank you so much :hail:
:hug:

ME THREE!!

100_7448.jpg

Brokken,
Here is an update on my seedlings, seeing as we are nearing the one year mark (If I remember correctly).
Here is the current situation:
SphagnumGrowth.jpg

A bit overgrown with Sphagnum, but indeed the plants are coming along nicely!

If you are needing/wanting a sample for any reason, do let me know. It is only right to offer you first choice!
I may be relocating them again soon, to assist their confusion & growth! Perhaps once they mature a bit more (another season or two perhaps), I will then consider spreading them around. But until then, I am hoping to see a bit more "definition" to their commonalities as well as their differences & individuality.
They have been an interesting mix to grow from seed, and I thank you again for the opportunity.
:water:
GrowinOld

Awesome. I'm liking the tall one with more flava influence! Thanks for sharing!

Woah, they look awesome! The ones that look like purps are the catesbaei too, or are they purps?

Awgaupp read the post at the top of page five, they are the hybrid

Sadly, I believe that I'm out of the running on these. Germination rates in the terrarium were good, but the ones in the bog container never took. Transplanted the ones from the terrarium into the bog this season and can only find two of them now...

I'll put some blame on the squirrels too. Didn't realize how much of a nuisance they could be until the cat passed away. The tree rats have laid waste to my amorphophallus collection as well. Nibbling off the tips...

Sorry to hear that.

mine are currently waking from a short dormancy.

Back