What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeah, Bugweed said this species colors up exponentially with increases of light (e.g. a lot of color from small increases). Mine get less light than previous years because I placed it behind my S. flava and S. leucophylla (relative to the afternoon sun). I got tired of the pitchers getting beat up whenever the wind comes up so I let the others at as a windbreak.

Ron,
You need a chain saw for your birthday!
Reflectors? Artificial outdoor lighting over the plants?
I have seen all of these methods used to lengthen the day,
and while I have used the chain saw method, and the artificial lighting in the greenhouse to supplement the sunlight, I have yet to use some reflectors outdoors.
But indeed have considered it.

Oh, the things we do for our plants, and getting them to be their best!

Oh, and if you get a chance, PM me your info. Don't worry, I wouldn't dare send you anything in return for the seed :angel: , however I am wanting to be able to send you out a card for the holidays! ;)

Take Care!
:water:

Thanks so much for doing this RL, tremendously looking forward to growing these next year.

Seeds arrived today. Will keep their progress posted. Thanks again!

Got the seeds in the mail today :D !
As for the feedback, the seeds arrived quickly and in great shape. They were packaged in a little square of cardboard in an envelope, and only 1 seed was damaged (split in two). Thank you very much!, I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Ron,
Many thanks! Arrival today. Packing looked good, and the same method discussed on this "seed packing related" thread:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124370

(Piece of cardboard with cut-out for seeds to rest safely inside.) Nicely done, and when I first looked at it, I thought how nice of a job you did (I even showed my wife!). It is the method I have used in the past, however usually can't get thin cardboard you used, but only the large corrugated type. (And that thin cardboard method only ran a regular stamp to send! WOW!)

Now the bad news! :down:
I took a closer look at the seed, as you requested feedback on your packing and the resulting seed condition. Well, while you did an excellent job, the eye-loupe revealed that about half the seed were indeed crushed!
(If you look up the other thread, you will see the results.) Not as good as hoped, but not terrible either.
I do plan on planting what I have, as a number of the seed look fine. Some are just cracked open, with the seed coat split. If the innards are not smashed, I assume they will make it.

Thanks again for the seed. It was a nice opportunity for me, and I will do my best to care for them. :water:
As per my other thread concerning safe ways of shipping seed, I guess we will still have to be on the look out for a more secure way to send. Seems those padded envelopes are possibly still the way to go (except for the resulting costs). I for one, am glad to be involved in this "experiment", as it is of great interest, and has revealed much concerning our "trusted" methods.

Oh yea Ron, I have you on my Holiday card list! ;) (Just hope I don't lose it now!) :beer:

(As everyone else seemed to have less casualties, perhaps out post office has "rougher" machines/methods, or perhaps I am looking too close!)

Thanks again!

Ron,

Received the seeds today! Their packaging was extremely secure. It was reminisce of only my Grandmother's bomb-proof packing. :D

To be honest, I have not grown a Sarracenia in 10 years and have never seen their seed. So I do not know what damage to look for, but compared to my basic understanding of plants and their seeds, I think that possibly 100% of the seeds arrived in-tact. There was one small chunk that looked smaller than the rest, but it might have just been a stunted seed, as opposed to a fragment.

I transported them immediately into fresh and moist red sphagnum and put them in the fridge, in a plastic bag like you had suggested.

Hopefully they sprout someday and become beautiful.

Thank you so very much for being the avenue that this collective hobby that we all love ultimately spreads the genetic diversity of a plant that might otherwise not have suitable growing conditions on Earth.

:bigthumpup:

Ron,
(Piece of cardboard with cut-out for seeds to rest safely inside.) Nicely done, and when I first looked at it, I thought how nice of a job you did (I even showed my wife!). It is the method I have used in the past, however usually can't get thin cardboard you used, but only the large corrugated type. (And that thin cardboard method only ran a regular stamp to send! WOW!)

I was impressed with the packing job (my girl was impressed as well). If you're looking for thin cardboard head off to a packie and grab some empty beer or wine boxes. They work great.

As far as seed condition goes... Seed was clearly labeled and secured within the cardboard with no damage. No splits, chips or fragments.

I did NOT mean to imply that the packing job was substandard at all!
In fact as I said, It was such a nice job that I even had to point it out to my wife!
My real surprise was that even with such a nice "isolation pod" that Don created,
some of the seed was still crushed.
It WAS like Grandmother's bomb-proof packing!, along with great care and a LOT of work! :-D

I had recently posted about this elsewhere, when I was sent seed with practically no padding or support at all. (Concerning someone on ebay whom I bought seed from, and about 50 VFT seed that were all smashed to dust.
I thought the cardboard with a cutout was the solution, and is/was a method I had already used for a few years myself. Don's packing and even covering the piece with additional cardboard was almost like overkill to me at first, but again it was apparently not effective. I more than anyone, was very surprised to see that much of the seed still had damage.

Obviously effective/safe packaging was as important to Don as it was to me, since he requested hearing the results of the shipment as part of the conditions to getting any seed. (Nice to know someone else is as concerned about this as I am.) :beer:

I do think there are plenty enough seed without damage, to germinate and grow into adulthood. And for that I thank Don very sincerely for his kindness, which is MOST important of all.

With what has occurred however, I see an opportunity for us to try out some other methods. If you are up to it Don, let me know and perhaps we can send a few "prototypes" back and forth!
I think it might be something everyone can benefit from.
The only upsetting thing to me, is that all this time when I send out seed, I was cutting these little square "donuts" out to fit a seed pack in, and unknowingly people may have been getting damaged seed as a result (I need a loupe to see it.). Bummer!

These are wonderful plants, and I count myself fortunate to have the opportunity (thanks to you) to even have a small chance of growing some.
Take care all, and thanks again Don!
:water:

My seeds came with no damage at all.....and I know what damaged seed looks like because I just got some crushed sarrs seed in the mail from someone else.....I wish more people packed them as well as you do.

Received mine today, bubble envelope and all were perfect. Thanks again for this opportunity.

received today in perfect condition. sandwiched between taped up paperboard. thanks a million!

These just germinated Wednesday-Thursday:

100_8703.jpg

Do you have any left?

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

If so.

1.eou812

Giveaway is closed
-------------------------
Sorry .....

Here are mine....

Soreo_12-17-10.jpg

Congratulations, those are looking good!

It's good to see this species getting around. Since the pollen was from my plant I guess I'm the proud poppa by proxy.

So these seeds came around Halloween, four weeks or so to stratify, and another four or so to germinate? Does that timeline sound about right?

Back