What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

***** Giveaway closed *****
-------------------------------------------
Giveaway feedback still open (ie: feedback on seed germination, pics of plants, etc)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This past spring a fellow TF'er* & I had some conversations about sharing pollen so that we could get potentially un-selfed seed**. Due to the timing of our plant's flowers, the pollen-sharing could only be one way - from him to me. He freely sent me a pack of pollen from his plant which I used on two flowers when they opened. I just finished harvesting the filled-to-the-brim seedpods. In the spirit of TF sharing, I will give away several packets of this seed.

Details:

- In accordance with ESA / CITES, This is a totally free giveaway. I will cover all expenses.
- Sarracenia oreophila is on the ESA / CITES list. Please read the following links before replying:
--- http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4310.html
--- http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq4320.html
- both parents are Sarracenia oreophila from Sand Mountain, AL**
- I don't know how many packets will be given away, but the 1st round (& possibly the last) will be for 6 packets of ~30 seeds.
- after ~5-7 days, I will randomly select 6 names from the list of participants and send them a PM. This PM will include the email address to which they should send me their name & mailing address. Notice that this is not 1st come, 1st served - no major rush required.
- please only enter if you intend to plant the seeds & grow them yourself.
- a few requests to those who receive seed:
--- provide feedback on the packaging (any crushed seed, etc)
--- share annual (roughly) pics of plants (until flowering age) on TF
--- donate at least one of your plants (or a division) to someone within 5 years.
- if you have read this entire post (including linked pages), understand all conditions & caveats and agree with the conditions - add your TF name to a list on the next post (1st responder starts list).
- USA only - sorry but these seeds can't be shipped to other countries without the resolution of major impediments.

* - TF'er will remain anonymous unless he/she decides to out himself (we just never discussed details like this - or hardly any details - really)
** - both plants are S. oreophila - Sand Mountain, AL and we're assuming that they are not the same clone. However, since we don't know all the details from each owner traced back to the bog, there is some chance that the plants are indeed the same clone (although it's probably quite unlikely). My plant is reasonably unimpressive from a color perspective (pics in growlist) but is extremely robust and a beast of a plant.

Last edited:
1. M Jacobs

Last edited:
1. M Jacobs
2.Exo

1. M Jacobs
2.Exo
3. Kahnli

1. M Jacobs
2.Exo
3. Kahnli
4. jimscott

I've read them both and the two statements below, one from each, stood out to me:

Seeds of cultivated specimens of threatened species are not covered by the E.S.A.

but even these plants can be traded in compliance with CITES as long as they are artificially propagated and are not derived from wild collected stock.

Saw your post on the omnisterra chat
Jest wanted to say this is most generous of you

1. M Jacobs
2.Exo
3. Kahnli
4. jimscott
5. Dexenthes.

This is such an awesome thread! Mad congratulations on breeding some more of this threatened species, and thanks for sharing it even if it ends up that it's not with me.

1. M Jacobs
2.Exo
3. Kahnli
4. jimscott
5. Dexenthes.
6. MasterGrower

Thanks, this is really generous!

1. M Jacobs
2.Exo
3. Kahnli
4. jimscott
5. Dexenthes.
6. MasterGrower
7. Sarracenia

1. M Jacobs
2. Exo
3. Kahnli
4. jimscott
5. Dexenthes.
6. MasterGrower
7. Sarracenia
8. KitATX

Cheers, Ron, I'm happy to see this happening. I think I may have been the first person to organize an online S. oreophila giveaway, back in 2002 when I was in NYC. Also very happy to see that you managed to get pollen from another plant, as my giveaway was from a selfed plant and had less than satisfactory survival rates...

On another note, I would be happy with half of a 30-seed packet.

Cheers,
-Kit

1. M Jacobs
2. Exo
3. Kahnli
4. jimscott
5. Dexenthes.
6. MasterGrower
7. Sarracenia
8. KitATX
9. Millworkman

1. M Jacobs
2. Exo
3. Kahnli
4. jimscott
5. Dexenthes.
6. MasterGrower
7. Sarracenia
8. KitATX
9. Millworkman
10. SGcvn69
11. Growinold

[Would also be happy with 1/2 a pkg. Spreads around further, and even with some failure, it is enough to get a few plants!]
Thanks!
(Unsure if I am too late also!)

"Winners" have been selected and PM's have been dispatched for snailmail addresses.

Thanks to all who applied. I hope to send the packets out this Saturday (if you have a PM - please get your address to me asap!!) :poke:

Another update: Seed has been mailed to all who were selected - which btw, was everyone. I decided that since the number of folks was relatively small, I'd just give a pack to everybody who applied.

- two packs were mailed in the 'conventional' padded envelope @ a cost of $1.22 each. A while back, the post office decided to test envelopes by seeing if they fit through a slot in a rigid board. However, the testing for this is interpreted differently depending on the specific post office. In the one I went to today, they try to drop the envelope through the slot. If there is any resistance at all, they charge the higher price. Our local post office pushes the envelope through the slot and if it can go through without 'much' resistance, it gets the lower price - $0.83.

- the remaining packages were sent in normal business envelopes with the seed packets enclosed by cardboard. A 4" x 2" piece of cardboard with a 1.3" x 2.3" (approx) cutout for the seeds was used. Surprisingly, this was light enough for the envelope to pass with a regular stamp - $0.44. The postal employee had no issue with the stiff cardboard inside the envelope.

Bottom line:
- padded envelopes will cost $0.83 to $1.22 depending on the post office.
- cost of each padded envelope - $??
- normal envelope with protective cardboard sleeve costs $0.44.
- cost of normal letter envelope - $??

Overall, the labor req'd to make the cutout doesn't compensate for the reduced costs imho (although the cheapskates among us may differ... :-O

Haha I can send you a couple bucks when it gets here!

No, because that would become commerce (exchange for goods or money) across state lines - violation of the ESA.

Hats off to Ron for taking the time and effort and eating the costs for this. It's fitting that he should distribute S. oreophila since the NASC auctions proceeds went to the preservation of this species.

While you are waiting for your seeds you can enjoy some photos of the pollen parent. I'd really to see how this plant will color up with a full days sun instead of half a day.

Who's yo' daddy?

S. oreophila Sand Mountain #2

P4030046.jpg

07040023.jpg

07040024.jpg

07040025.jpg

01730021.jpg

01720017.jpg

03570017.jpg

03570014.jpg

Ooooh that's right, I had forgotten when I posted that.

PRETTY plant. I'm excited. :) Thank you so much Ron!

Ron,
Appreciate generosity here, and also the experimenting with shipping methods. I posted about that a while back, as it is a shame to lose potential plants and possible future generations and genetic lines to the crushing machines of the post office.
With seeds, you never know what marvelous hybrid/grex/? plant awaits until someone grows it out. It would have been a shame to have lost the seed for the plant that ultimately became the original Hummer's Giant, B-52 VFT or some of the more desirable Sarr's out there.

Anyway, thanks for your generosity, :bigthumpup:
and you are building up some good CP' Karma,
so not to worry! :clap:

Haha I can send you a couple bucks when it gets here!
As NaN already noted, I couldn't / wouldn't accept anything - even if I wanted.

My listing of the costs were not for people to know what I'm spending (which is not much) but rather to share the results of an experiment. I was playing around with various alternatives to see how we could ship seeds at the lowest possible cost (with the basic assumption being that the lower the costs, the more likely we are to see more giveaways).

NaN - thanks for the pics! You're correct with your implied assumption - the more light these guys get, the more color we see. Bugweed (way back when) pushed me to give my other oreo clone more light to see what happens and the results were very significant. I'd love to have a spot on my property where the Sarrs could get full sun from sunrise to sunset but the trees on the the south side are getting taller each year so that means less sun - not more. ???

As an aside, I'm now very curious about how well these seeds will germinate. There are lots of seeds but individually they are smaller than previous years when I selfed or crossed with another location...

Back